Laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laws

Many Muslims live in non-Islamic countries. What is the ruling when the law of the country prohibits the Islamic law? For example, in US a man can have only one wife while Islamic law states that a man may have four wives.
    "A woman has got to be able to say, and not feel guilty, 'Who am I, and what do I want out of life?' She mustn't feel selfish and neurotic if she wants goals of her own, outside of husband and children"

In the US a man can have any number of wives, so long as only One is alive. Same goes for women.

Also, there is only one field on the IRS forms for married couples filing jointly. Just think about it.

Comment

NYA of course a man can marry any number of times as long as he is married to only one at a time. How does it matter what the tax forms say? All I am saying is that if man in married to two women at the same time, it goes agains the US laws. But this is not against Islamic laws. How do we reconcile the two?
      "A woman has got to be able to say, and not feel guilty, 'Who am I, and what do I want out of life?' She mustn't feel selfish and neurotic if she wants goals of her own, outside of husband and children"

Comment

How does the USA law deal with Mormons and people getting married under custom law?

Comment

Aisha, there is no need to reconcile the Laws. Just don’t go to a place where Laws can be problem for you.

Old man. Mormons no longer practice Polygamy. There are some breakaway factions in the Amish country that have multiple wives, but if the state finds out about that practice, they are prosecuted (there is one case of polygamy under going in PA). It is against the Law in the US, but they have basically turned a blind eye towards enforcing this Law. Having said that, no one with more than one spouse can declare that in official documents without being prosecuted (e.g., insurance, taxes, heredity, etc.)

Comment

NYAhmadi:

What about some of the Red Indian tribes? Do you think that it is correct the way USA law is presently? Surely it can cause hardship if, for instance, a Muslim man married to two wives, die. I suppose the law will only recognize the one as legitimate. What will happen to the children and second wife?

In South Africa they changed the law during the past year to include all wives to accomodate the cultures in the country. Now some woman in parliament wants women to be able to have multiple husbands.... (Gender equality)

Comment

Salaam sister aishaA,

The scholars have clearly stated, that if a nations laws prohibit a Muslim for practicing Islaam in anyway, then he/she should migrate to a place where an Islamic Lifestyle - by adhering to Islaamic Laws - can be conducted more freely.

In the case of marriage, then i suppose if the man really feels that He needs to marry more than once (perhaps by not doing so, it is negatively effecting his eemaan), but the land he resides in does not allow it, then he should move to a more tolerant society. However, if he can get away with more than one wife in the same country, by keeping it secret from the authorities, then he can marry a second or a third etc. while keeping it hush hush!

I know a da'ee (caller to Islaam) living in America with four wives Masha'Allaah. He has not experienced any problems Alhamdulillaah.

Wassalaam

-----------------------
              "No leaf falls except that he knows of it, and no rain drop forms except that He has willed it."

Comment

Thank you, Hasnain

Comment

Originally posted by aishaA:
                  Many Muslims live in non-Islamic countries. What is the ruling when the law of the country prohibits the Islamic law? For example, in US a man can have only one wife while Islamic law states that a man may have four wives.
                  This is NOT law to marry four wives, is it? It is permission to marry upto four wives. If someone REALLY needs to marry more than one woman, than he should move to a country where he can do it freely.

Many of the laws in US are 'Islamic' in the sense that they do not "contradict". Some may.

Secondly, which country in current world do you think is "Islamic" ?

As bro Hasnain explained it, that one should live in a country where he/she thinks that Islam can be practiced freely, and that your 'emaan' is safe and less challenged.

------------------
                  We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

Originally posted by Changez_like:
                    As bro Hasnain explained it, that one should live in a country where he/she thinks that Islam can be practiced freely, and that your 'emaan' is safe and less challenged.

You ppl have any country in mind?

>Many of the laws in US are 'Islamic' in the >sense that they do not "contradict".

I don't agree with this.

------------------
                    • “na maiN momin vich masiitaaN, na maiN muusaa, na fir'aun!”
                    Ain't new ta this....HOMEINVASION('93)

Comment

Originally posted by Ali_R:
                      You ppl have any country in mind?

I missed to mention that as of today I have to "discover" a land where Islamic laws prevail and allows us to live there.

>Many of the laws in US are 'Islamic' in the >sense that they do not "contradict".

I don't agree with this.
                      can you give any reason for this? any examples?

------------------

Comment

I know it doesn't concern the US but I know this guy who applied for Canadian Immigration with two wives. At first he was rejected on this basis but he fought this in court saying that he got married in a country where mutliple marriages are allowed and that this is his religious freedom too.

And he got the ruling. Now he's here in Canada with both wives. I think there's enough loopholes in these laws that you can actually win these kind of cases, you just need a good lawyer.

Comment

Originally posted by Changez_like:

I missed to mention that as of today I have to "discover" a land where Islamic laws prevail and allows us to live there.

To be honest I can't. Can you give me examples for the opposite? Til then I'll try to update myself on this issue.

------------------
                          • “na maiN momin vich masiitaaN, na maiN muusaa, na fir'aun!”
                          Ain't new ta this....HOMEINVASION('93)

Comment

Originally posted by Ali_R:

To be honest I can't. Can you give me examples for the opposite? Til then I'll try to update myself on this issue.
                            one thing, it may be minor, you might have read this term EOE... means Equal Opportunity Employer. There is no discrimination allowed by law on basis of color, national origin, religion etc. While in Pakistan you are asked 'which area you belong to' (quota system).

In US constitution, ANY member of government can be TRIED, QUESTIONED... In our Pakistani constitution NO Govt member (any Minister) can be TRIED, 'Questioned' while Govt is IN.

These are 'apparent' and 'obvious' laws so I have knowledge/observed.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                            X