Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ali_R
    replied
    Ok ppl i have to appologize for my wrong statement. I made a mistake. Sorry guys. I don't know where i looked it up, but seems to be wrong. Hope you ppl forgive me for that

But still it started ever since......
    That is true.

------------------
    “na maiN momin vich masiitaaN, na maiN muusaa, na fir'aun!”

Leave a comment:

• Akif
    replied
    Originally posted by Ali_R:
    Might I ask a question? First of all, are you trying to tell me that my dictionary is lying?
    very likely.

I looked up Webster and Cambridge dictionaries...both are the standards in the US and UK respectively. Neither carried the words 'fundamentalist' and 'fanatic' as interchangeable..not in meaning...not as synonyms.

Leave a comment:

• MiniMe
    replied
    The words fundamentalism and religion were linked ever since.......

I think you have answered the question, all the religions are based on some fundamentals, and to follow these would make any person a religious fundamentalist. But how would you follow a religion if you don’t follow its principles, so in other words the fundamentalists are the people who are simply following the basics. On the other hand, the hardliners /extremists are called fundamentalist by the media which sends out a totally different signal.

Leave a comment:

• Abdul Basit
    replied
    Ali R, do you think Mohammad(saw) was a fundamentlist. If you argue that Fundamentalism is fanatism(as your dictionary suggests) then what you are implying is that early Muslims were also Religious fanatics because they adhered themselves to fundamentals of Islam...were they?

------------------
    "I am not playing with a full deck!"

Leave a comment:

• Ali_R
    replied
    Originally posted by Akif:
    And fundamentalism is NOT fanaticism. Fundamentalism literally means adherence to basic principles...merely an old liner.
    Might I ask a question? First of all, are you trying to tell me that my dictionary is lying?

Secondly, the words fundamentalism and religion were linked ever since.......(what queer and co mentioned).

------------------

Leave a comment:

• Akif
    replied
    Where does a connection with christianity pop in to this? Another misconception in the offing.

When studying fundamental physics in high school, you werent reading physics according to the christians of the 19th century Im sure. The word fundamental is to be taken literally, with no relation to any movement that may have evolved in the past, since I dont see the media or the US govt drawing any parallels between 'muslim fundamentalists' and those '19th c. christian fundamentalists'. If they were genuinely drawing such parallels, then they would associate terrorism with all forms of fundamental religious activities, including hassidic jews, brahman sadhus, dalai lama, the pope and what not.

And fundamentalism is NOT fanaticism. Fundamentalism literally means adherence to basic principles...merely an old liner.

The point is, its not the concept of fundamentalism that is wrong. Its the uneducated guesses of the mob (media) that turn a perfectly innocent concept of fundamentalism into one that advocates terrorism, killing of innocents, suicide bombings etc.

Its funny how the meanings of words or phrases can be flipped up and down in order to fulfil the needs of the world that dictates them, as and when they deem necessary.

Leave a comment:

• Ali_R
    replied
    Zane Publishing...no wonder, another Jewish.

------------------

Leave a comment:

• Ibrahim
    replied
    fun•da•men•tal•ism \-tel-'i-zem\ noun (1922)

1 a often cap : a movement in 20th century Protestantism emphasizing the literally interpreted Bible as fundamental to Christian life and teaching

b : the beliefs of this movement

c : adherence to such beliefs

2 : a movement or attitude stressing strict and literal adherence to a set of basic principles

fun•da•men•tal•ist \-tel-ist\ noun
    fundamentalist or fun•da•men•tal•is•tic \-'men-tel-"is-tik\ adjective

(C)1997, 1996 Zane Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.

fundamentalist noun

syn DIEHARD 1, bitter-ender, conservative, old liner, right, rightist, right-winger, standpat, standpatter, tory

(C)1997, 1996 Zane Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.

Leave a comment:

• Roman
    replied
    Akif,

Just to give you an example. The fundamental meaning of word 'queer' are odd or strange. But the fundamentalist version of it is like totally different. Some people are just too fundamentalist. Being fundamental is still good.

Leave a comment:

• analyze it
    replied
    Originally posted by queer:

i'd come across an article talking about this a while back. fundamentalists are not people who follow the fundamentals of their religion. they are folks who believe in extremely inflexible interpretations of their holy scriptures, and refuse to accept anything else. the word "fundamentalism" comes from a hardliner branch of christianity of the 19th century which believed that the literal interpretation of the bible was fundamental to christians.

in short, a fundamentalist's idea of islam neednt be real islam. it's just another one of the quirky words in angrezi.
    ============================================

Totally agree with above.

Akif, Queer has explained very eloquently. Your concept is probably not correct.

Leave a comment:

• Ali_R
    replied
    fanatics=fundamentalists and queer is right.

------------------

Leave a comment:

• Girl from Quraysh
    replied
    'kay well if the word fundamentalism is taken at face value, ie. meaning that where one sticks to the fundamental teachings of one's belief, then like Akif bhai said its something that should be practiced and definitely something to take pride in.

However, if in fact, the true meaning is associated with the group of Christians in the 19th century that queer described. Then I don't know. Its like using the word crusade, though it can mean a long, struggle with a strong purpose, the history of the word can arouse other emotions that may not be exactly the intent of the original speaker/writer.

While I was typing that second paragraph, I kept wanting to call those 'fundamentalist christians' 'fanatics', yet then, I thought that, its a word synonymous with fundamentalist, and to look at it in the absolute sense its alright, yet in the relative sense it also seems to possess an aura of negativity when it comes to religion.

Leave a comment:

• queer
    replied

i'd come across an article talking about this a while back. fundamentalists are not people who follow the fundamentals of their religion. they are folks who believe in extremely inflexible interpretations of their holy scriptures, and refuse to accept anything else. the word "fundamentalism" comes from a hardliner branch of christianity of the 19th century which believed that the literal interpretation of the bible was fundamental to christians.

in short, a fundamentalist's idea of islam neednt be real islam. it's just another one of the quirky words in angrezi.

Leave a comment:

• Akif
    started a topic What is fundamentalism?

What is fundamentalism?

What do people mean by 'fundamentalist'? How do you define fundamentalism?

To me, fundametalism is following the basic teachings, equipped with the belief that those teachings are meant for all times....not just one specific era. I believe in the basic teachings of Islam that were revealed over 1400 years ago. I try my best to follow as many as possible. That makes me a fundamentalist, and am proud to be one.

To me, the fault lies not in Islam, or in fundamentalism. The fault lies in the world media and their gross misconception of equating fundamental Islam with terrorism. Lack of knowledge, or wrong information are widely to blame for this.

The other day, an american teenager born to Pakistani parents called into a popular radio show and started a sermon on how not all muslims are bad, how not all muslims are terrorists, and finally, how not all muslims are 'fundamentalists'. The host asked him..."What is the difference between 'fundamental Islam' and 'real Islam'. The teeneager replied..."Fundamental Islam is, like all about terrorism and stuff...and real Islam is like, about peace and stuff."

I felt like slapping the uneducated brat.

Fundamental Islam is what muslims take pride in. That is exactly what differentiates Islam from other religions. Muslims believe that Allah SWT gave them a recipe for success, once and for all. There is no need to change that recipe. What we need to clear is the misconception so common among the western world that fundamental Islam preaches, God forbid, intolerance, hatred or terrorism.
Working...
X