Abu Umamah reported, "The Prophet, salla llahu alayhi wa sallam, was
    asked, 'What supplication finds the greatest acceptance?' He
    answered: 'A prayer offered in the middle of the latter part of the
    night and after the prescribed Prayers'.' (Reported by Tirmidhi with
    a sound chain of authorities)

Abu Hurairah reported, the Prophet, salla llahu alayhi wa sallam,
    said, "The servant is nearest to his Lord when he is prostrating to
    Him, so make supplication in this state." (Muslim) There are very
    many hadith found in various books on this subject.

(Fiqh-us-Sunnah)

------------------
    "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
    (11:55-56)

Assalaamu 'alaikum warahmatullaah,

Jazaakillaah khair sister Sadiaa.

Your posts are most useful. may Allaah help us to benefit from them.

wassalaam

----------------
    "No leaf falls except that He knows of it, and no rain drop forms except that He has willed it."

Comment

Originally posted by Hasnain:
      Assalaamu 'alaikum warahmatullaah,

Jazaakillaah khair sister Sadiaa.

Your posts are most useful. may Allaah help us to benefit from them.

wassalaam

----------------
      "No leaf falls except that He knows of it, and no rain drop forms except that He has willed it."
      i 2nd that!.....
      thanx 4 sharing...
      God bless u all...

DerVaisH

------------------
      muhabatein theen kabhi apne dermian kitni...
      bicha gaye hai anna hum mein doorian kitni...
      abhi to toota hai dil hi teri judai mein...
      girein gi hum pe abhi aur bijlian kitni...

Comment

Hey Saadia,

I got a question for ya. Ok, the first part to your post about prayers offerered in the middle of the night are most useful. They are called Tahajud prayers right? How do you pray them?

What about Ishraq prayers which are prayed right after sunrise?

I'd like to know how one must do niat for them and would they be Nawafil or Sunnat? and how many if so?

------------------
        Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

Love happens once . . .
        Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Comment

Originally posted by CocoNut:
          Hey Saadia,

I got a question for ya. Ok, the first part to your post about prayers offerered in the middle of the night are most useful. They are called Tahajud prayers right? How do you pray them?

Tahajjud are nifl prayers and are read like any other nifl prayer.

I did read abt Ishraq prayer once but really dunno when it should be prayed. As far as i know, they're the same as nifl prayers.

I'd like to know how one must do niat for them and would they be Nawafil or Sunnat? and how many if so?

All supererogatory prayers are nawafil. You can't really read extra farz and not sure abt extra sunnat. Niat's done the same way as u do it for any other prayer. There's no limit set for nawafils....read as many you want to..
          Better ask some maulvi guy b/c i could be wrong abt it..

[This message has been edited by Sadiaa (edited September 09, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiaa:
            Fwd'ing

Bismillah ir Rahman ir Raheem

Volume 4, Number 111a:

These are, for instance, the day of 'Arafah, month of Ramadan,
            Friday, the last part of the night, at dawn, during prostration, at the time of rainfall, between the adhan and iqamah, at the time of
            encounter of armies, at times of panic, and when one's heart is soft and tender.
            Interesting, I never knew that you could pray during rainfall or army encounter or panic.

As for Friday what part of the night on Juma? and is it after Fajr on Juma? prayers are likely to get accepted.

------------------
            Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

Love happens once . . .
            Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Comment

Sadiaa ...thank you!

------------------
              “Ishq bhi ho Hijaab mein husn bhi ho Hijaab mein. Ya tu khud Aaskhaar ho ya mujh ko Aaskhaar kar.”
              Ain't new ta this....HOMEINVASION('93)

Comment

Originally posted by CocoNut:
                Interesting, I never knew that you could pray during rainfall or army encounter or panic.
                Hmm...Can someone clarify if those times quoted above take priority over the times when one's not supposed to offer prayers, ie. sunrise,midday,sunset, after u read fajr till sunrise, after u read your asr till maghrib..?

Comment

Coconut,

Ok, the first part to your post about prayers offerered in the middle of the night are most useful. They are called Tahajud prayers right?
                  Yes that’s right. They are prayed after the ‘Esha prayer in units of twos, and are completed by the ‘witr’ prayer. As for the exact number of the Tahajud prayers (also known as the ‘night prayer’) then this can vary according to ability and preference of the individual. But it must be prayed in units of two until the final witr prayer which is prayed as an odd unit (1, 3, 5 etc). However, the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said that the most beloved action to Allaah is the consistent action.

It is far better to pray a minimum of two rakaahs, but consistently each night rather than intermittently by perhaps praying 8 or 10 rakaahs one night and then not praying for a week or so. Also, if you decide that your night prayer shall consist of 4 units (2x2) followed by the witr prayer, then it is advised to try and stick to this number each night, rather than swap and change according to mood – for example four one night, then eight the next, and six the following, and so on and so forth. Unless of course you are gradually increasing over time, as you may feel starting off with a high number is too challenging to complete consistently every night. So for example, you pray 2 units each night for about 2 weeks, then increase it to 4 units for a month, then 6 units for 4 months and then 8 etc.
                  ‘Aaisha (radiallaahu anhaa) narrates that the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam’s) night prayer used to consist of 11 rakaahs (units). First eight units (2x2x2x2) followed by the witr of three units. In another narration it has been reported that the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam’s) night prayer consisted of 13 rakaahs – ten units (2x2x2x2x2) sealed by three units of the witr prayer.

The Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said that the best night prayer is the one in which the ‘qiyaam’ (standing and reciting) is long. It has been authentically narrated, that the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam’s) qiyaam used to be so long sometimes, that he would recite Soorahs Baqarah, Aal-imraan and Nisaa – three longest chapters of the Qur’aan – in the same night, Subhaan’Allaah. However, long rakaahs is not a condition to the night prayer, although heavily recommended.

The Ishraaq prayer is only valid after sitting in the masjid after the fajr prayer up until sunrise. The scholars are in agreement that if anyone were to leave the mosque and then return before sunrise, even if he were to pray the Ishraaq prayer it would not be rewarded. The condition is that one remains in the masjid and engages himself/herself in the ‘athkaar’ (rememberence of Allaah) following the fajr prayer, up until the time after the sun has risen. There is a great reward for this prayer, which is either (I’m sorry, I can’t quite remember, but it’s one of two) equivalent to the reward of one Hajj and one Umrah or to gold in weight equal to the size of Mount Uhad (mountain range just outside Madeenah).

With regards to the neeyah (intention) for the Ishraaq prayer, then it is done in pretty much the same fashion as for any other prayer – it is an intention of the heart (and not of the tongue as many mistake it to be). When you stand up to pray, before the takbeer, just make the intention in your heart that you are about to pray the Ishraaq prayer. That’s all. Then you may begin. As far as its length is concerned, then this is just two units.

As for Friday what part of the night on Juma? and is it after Fajr on Juma? prayers are likely to get accepted.
                  With respect to this question, then there is a difference of opinion amongst the scholars as to the exact time at which the supplication is accepted on a Friday. All three have supporting evidences to support their views in the form of ahadeeth. The first opinion is that the time at which the du’aa is accepted is after the fajr prayer. The second opinion is that this time arises during the Friday khutbah, between the two Khutbahs, for that moment when the khateeb/Imaam sits to rest. The final opinion is that the supplication is accepted during the last hour of Friday. That is to say, within the hour before maghrib/sunset. This opinion seems to be the strongest. There is also a separate hadeeth stating that a few minutes before maghrib on any day is one of the best times to supplicate.

... And Allaah knows best.

&peace

------------------------

Comment

Girl from Quraysh,

The times mentioned in the hadeeth above are with respect to du'aa (supplication) whereas the times you have mentioned during which prayer is not permissable is with respect to salaah.

&peace

--------------------

Comment

Working...
                    X