Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

calling her sister, she becomes a mahram! Allowed or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

calling her sister, she becomes a mahram! Allowed or not?

Assalamo Alaycoum

I have a question, and it has two parts:

Part1.
    Friendship between a male and female is a relation of na-mahram in islam. What other legal relation besides marriage is allowed i.e Making a na-mahram a sister is allowed in Islam or not? I remember (in my childhood when i performed hajj) that on Hajj if a woman has no Mahram to go along, then a man is declared as a Mahram who helps her during the pilgrimage. Besides pilgrimage, in daily life, is it allowed or not?

Part2.
    And after the establishment of brother-sister relationship, if the scenario changes, can one marry the same girl or not?

Mast Lahori!

Answer to Part1,
    I think what you are asking is that if there is a concept of two opposite sex having a relationship as friends, I can't comment but what I do know is that we all are brothers and sister before marriage. So we should be treating others as our brothers and sisters.
    I don't know anything about Haj.

Answer to Part2,
    I am not too sure, but using my common sense, if you call some one brother/sister and if you wish to marry and don't feel hesitate then there shouldn't be a problem.

ps: Please forgive me if I am wrong on Part2 answer. I will be more then happy to hear other people correcting the concept.

Comment

Mahram=one with whom marriage cannot be contracted.
      As much as i wana say more i cant.. cuz i dont have any source.

------------------
      All is the Beloved and the lover is a veil
      The Beloved is alive and the lover is dead (RUMI)

Comment

I dont think makin na-mehram your brother or sister is allowed in Islam, though I am not sure about it but he/she would not become your brother or sister for sure, either you call him brother or you treat him like a stranger but he would not become your mehram and since he is your na-mehram so marriage is jaiz/allowed!
        ** Of all the things I've lost ~~ I miss my mind the most **

Comment

calling a na-mehram for brother/sister doesnt change anything.

------------------
          ~Survival of the smartest~

Comment

Originally posted by Mindless:
            I dont think makin na-mehram your brother or sister is allowed in Islam, though I am not sure about it but he/she would not become your brother or sister for sure, either you call him brother or you treat him like a stranger but he would not become your mehram and since he is your na-mehram so marriage is jaiz/allowed!

Jazaak ALLAH for participating.
            In special case like hajj, there IS a possibility. A woman cannot go alone to perform HAJJ, and she MUST have a mahram to go along with her. So, a man could be made a mahram(brother), so that he could help her. My question is that if it is allowed in the real life as well......and plz do not base your ideas on " I guess/guess not", or " I think/dont think". Kindly come up with authentic information. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Mast Lahori:

Jazaak ALLAH for participating.
              In special case like hajj, there IS a possibility. A woman cannot go alone to perform HAJJ, and she MUST have a mahram to go along with her. So, a man could be made a mahram(brother), so that he could help her. .....
              who said that it is allowed? where did you get this info? I have in my life not seen such 'mehramising' for short period. Can you specifically tell if this concept belongs to any particular sect??

------------------
              We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

Fake aunties, uncles, brothers, sisters and what have you is not allowed by Islam. Your aunties and uncles and brothers and sisters are only those who you are related to...if you do end up considering someone your brother or sister, you are fooling your self and that is it! Because Allah's knows you are not, so does everone else.

------------------
                "I am not playing with a full deck!"

Comment

The only 'na-mehram' that can become a mehram for you is one who is your 'razai' brother or sister. Meaning, if you both have been breast-fed by the same lady, even though you were not born of the same lady, then you would be mehrams, and marriage would be disallowed between the two. Other than that, no matter how many times you call some na-mehram a baji, or bhai, marriage is still allowed.

Regarding Hajj, there is a provision for women who dont have any mehram to speak of. But before implementing that provision, the primary recommendation for women who dont have any mehram whatsoever is that they dont go for Hajj. Remember, Hajj is compulsory only when you have all the facilities available easily i-e, enough money, no debts, a mehram(for a female). In the rare case where a woman has no mehrams whatsoever, meaning no husband, father, brother, son, fathers brother, mothers brother, son in law, father in law, sisters son or brothers son, then Hajj is not Farz on her. However, old ladies, who are beyond menopause, can be accompanied by a close relative, who might not be a mehram....but it is recommended that she NOT go. Allah SWT has createad such facilities for us in matters of deen, and if we dont avail these facilities, its a source of displeasure for Allah SWT.

[This message has been edited by Akif (edited September 06, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by Abdul Basit:
                    Fake aunties, uncles, brothers, sisters and what have you is not allowed by Islam. Your aunties and uncles and brothers and sisters are only those who you are related to...if you do end up considering someone your brother or sister, you are fooling your self and that is it! Because Allah's knows you are not, so does everone else.

allah says: innamal mu'minoona ikhwah--meaning, verily, the believers are a
                    brotherhood...does that mean they are all genetically linked? no, ofcourse
                    not. This shows the closeness and the bond that allah has decreed for us
                    believers.

So, if someone is your sister in Islam (not the sister that your father gave
                    birth to), then she is NOT your mahram and you CAN NOT act towards her like
                    you would towards your blood sister (the one your father gave birth to, if
                    he did)..like touching, being alone, shaking hands, etc.

So, by the same reasoning, i am your BROTHER in islam..but does that make me
                    entitled to inherit your father's wealth upon his demise? No, it does not,
                    because I am not your BLOOD (or genetic) brother, BUT, rather, I am your
                    Brother in ISLAM...

Comment

Dear Lahori bhai,

So, if someone is your sister in Islam (not the sister that your father gave
                      birth to), then she is NOT your mahram and you CAN NOT act towards her like
                      you would towards your blood sister (the one your father gave birth to, if
                      he did)..like touching, being alone, shaking hands, etc.
                      With respect to your fist question, i think you've answered it quite nicely here yourself Masha'Allaah. So as for the second question, then that would no longer apply.

wassalaam

----------------
                      "No leaf falls except that He knows of it, and no rain drop forms except that he has willed it."

Comment

The Qur'aan states:

004.023 Prohibited to you (For marriage) are:- Your mothers, daughters, sisters; fatherís sisters, Motherís sisters; brotherís daughters, sisterís daughters; foster-mothers (Who gave you suck), foster-sisters; your wivesí mothers; your step-daughters under your guardianship, born of your wives to whom ye have gone in,- no prohibition if ye have not gone in;- (Those who have been) wives of your sons proceeding from your loins; and two sisters in wedlock at one and the same time, except for what is past; for

Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful;-

004.024 Also (prohibited are) women already married, except those whom your right hands possess: Thus hath Allah ordained (Prohibitions) against you: Except for these, all others are lawful, provided ye seek (them in marriage) with gifts from your property,- desiring chastity, not lust, seeing that ye derive benefit from them, give them their dowers (at least) as prescribed; but if, after a dower is prescribed, agree Mutually (to vary it), there is no blame on you, and Allah is All-knowing, All-wise.

I hope the above ayats help and make it very clear.

Comment

Working...
                        X