Marrying a girl to the god Yellamala

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marrying a girl to the god Yellamala

I dont know if this topic has been discussed before but here it is anyway. I think this is another BAD aspect of HINDUISM.

8 March 2000

Married to God, devdasis beg real deities for money Mini Pant Zachariah (Asian Age)

Although officially abolished, the practise of marrying a girl to the god Yellamala is still prevalent. Married to the deity, these temple girls are left to serve in temples and are sexually exploited in the name of an archaic tradition. Abandoned by their families, with no adequate means of livelihood, the women depend on a meagre State assistance and by begging outside temples.

"Although the practice of devdasis is banned, it goes on surreptitiously. These women are forced into prostitution by the upper caste men," says Ms. Shaila Satpute, general secretary of the Maharastra Pradesh Congress Committee.

The Maharastra government's monthly dole of Rs. 300/- to wean devdasis away from their age-old profession has eluded Jaishri so far. She, along with some 60 devdasis from Solapur came to Mumbai on Wednesday International Women's Day to demand that the monthly allowance to devdasis be raised. Neighbouring Karnataka, which has a larger population of devdasis, pays Rs 1,200 per month to devdasis ever since the practice of temple girls was abolished.
    Source: www.dalits.org

[This message has been edited by Dil he Pakistani (edited September 05, 2001).]

This is really Sad...

Comment

Originally posted by Dil he Pakistani:
      Source: www.dalits.org

wait for Hindus to tell you that it is a 'hate' site and it should not be beleived at all and probably 'made up' by Muslims (yeah right).

------------------
      We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

Hmmmmmmm this is awful..

------------------
        "kaisay na karta usko main pyar, uski haseen main sukh thay hazaar, bichar gayay hum dukh ki hay baat"
        Ain't new ta this....HOMEINVASION('93)

Comment

So sad

Comment

rvikz or vayu, What are your opinions on this aspect of Hinduism? if any?

Comment

India is on the right path, having abolished this tradition long back, and in trying to wean away prostitutes by providing for destitute women. The effort is all the more commendable given the fact that 1200 Rupees is quite a lot of money for poor India. If this effort is kept up, within a decade this horrible occurance will become another extinct social evil.
              Simple ain't easy.

Comment

Rani, What do you think about this????

Comment

Originally posted by Dil he Pakistani:
                  rvikz or vayu, What are your opinions on this aspect of Hinduism? if any?
                  prositution is worlds oldest profesion
                  exist in all countries some hidden some open
                  in india they give religious twist to everything even dieseases like small pox.
                  indias have a problem of describing things in a non-religious way. so put religious stamp on everthing.

Comment

Okay, take the religious stamp off the Prostitution. Do you think is Prostitution a good profession to be in? If yes then explain!

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
                      prositution is worlds oldest profesion
                      exist in all countries some hidden some open
                      in india they give religious twist to everything even dieseases like small pox.
                      indias have a problem of describing things in a non-religious way. so put religious stamp on everthing.
                      rvikz, Your saying this 'marriage' to the Hindu God Yellamala is just an excuse for forcing women into PROSTITUTION. How Sad...

Indian Society today is corrupt, its people have MANY pagan rituals, some of them EVIL, some rather bizarre, some very hilarious. The question is rvikz, DO you SUPPORT these aspects of HINDUISM or do you remain quiet and just accept it a normal part of Indian Culture?? This seems to be the case with the Indian Public.

Comment

That indeed is something tragic and should be condemned!

Though let me clearify that these practices are due to social triats, not religious! So we shouldn't point fingers at Hinduism.

We, in Pakistan, have the same problem ourselves ...

Married to Quran to save property!

It is believed that the practice is still on going in remote areas of Sindh. I remember a PTV drama serial which pointed out this aspect of our society (not this aspect of religion)

So, if we point fingers at Hinduism for something that Indian society in perticular has acquired, then we are giving right to anyone to point fingers at Islam, rather than the social structure of the remote areas of Pakistan.
                        I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                        - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Originally posted by ahmadjee:
                          That indeed is something tragic and should be condemned!

Though let me clearify that these practices are due to social triats, not religious! So we shouldn't point fingers at Hinduism.
                          We, in Pakistan, have the same problem ourselves ...

Married to Quran to save property!

It is believed that the practice is still on going in remote areas of Sindh. I remember a PTV drama serial which pointed out this aspect of our society (not this aspect of religion)

So, if we point fingers at Hinduism for something that Indian society in perticular has acquired, then we are giving right to anyone to point fingers at Islam, rather than the social structure of the remote areas of Pakistan.
                          Mr.Ahmad, the DATE of that article is over a year ago ! Sure this practice may still exist but Do you not think that this issue is being addressed by the Government? Even so I would condemn this aspect within Sindh, this is TOTALLY AGAINST ISLAM unlike what we see in India which is WITHIN THE HINDU SOCIETY. The HINDU PRIESTS have given their FULL blessings to such rituals as marrying women to Yellamala. Ahmadjee as you seem to know more about Hinduism, Isn't Hinduism a VAST COLLECTION of stories, facts about the earth, kama sutra, superstitions, pagan beliefs etc ???.

[This message has been edited by Dil he Pakistani (edited September 06, 2001).]

Comment

Bhai,

Even so I would condemn this aspect within Sindh, this is TOTALLY AGAINST ISLAM unlike what we see in India which is WITHIN THE HINDU SOCIETY.
                            Many will be ready to argue that Pakistan is in fact an Islamic society!

The HINDU PRIESTS have given their blessings to such rituals as marrying women to Yellamala.
                            The Molvi sahib also gives his blessings in Sindh!

Ahmadjee as you seem to know more about Hinduism, Isn't Hinduism a VAST COLLECTION of stories, facts about the earth, kama sutra, superstitions, pagan beliefs etc ???.
                            Sorry, I really don't know much about it. Just a few things here & there! I am sure our Hindu guppies here can tell you better.

My point was simple that we shouldn't point fingers at something that we don't know much about. Usually these kind of things are incorporated by the society & not religion.
                            I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                            - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Originally posted by ahmadjee:
                              Bhai,

Many will be ready to argue that Pakistan is in fact an Islamic society!

I do question Pakistani society being Islamic. I say it is 'populated' by Muslims, but does not "form" an Islamic society.

The HINDU PRIESTS have given their blessings to such rituals as marrying women to Yellamala. [/QUOTE]
                              The Molvi sahib also gives his blessings in Sindh!

Ahmadjee as you seem to know more about Hinduism, Isn't Hinduism a VAST COLLECTION of stories, facts about the earth, kama sutra, superstitions, pagan beliefs etc ???.
                              Sorry, I really don't know much about it. Just a few things here & there! I am sure our Hindu guppies here can tell you better.

My point was simple that we shouldn't point fingers at something that we don't know much about. Usually these kind of things are incorporated by the society & not religion.[/B][/QUOTE]

------------------
                              We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

Working...
                              X