People are in a Slumber!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People are in a Slumber!!

I came across the following article by Shaikh Abu ‘Abdillaah Muhammad al-Jibaaly. A most interesting and relevant piece of writing that we can all take heed of Insha’Allaah. Again, I’ll be presenting the extract in several stages, which I feel will be more convenient. The piece itself has been taken from ‘Al-Hudaa’ magazine, volume 2, and reads of as follows:

In Islaam, the measure of life and death is quite different from that of biologists and other scientists. Islaam is not as much concerned about biological life as it is about the life of the heart. One’s life or death is determined by how much one is aware of one’s own status and goal in this life, and how well one is working to reach this goal.

The Living and the Dead

Allaah (SWT) makes a comparison between those who are living and those who are dead of heart as follows:

“For the blind and the seeing are not equal; nor are the depths of darkness and the light; nor the [cooling] shade and the scorching heat; and neither are equal the living and the dead [of heart]. Indeed Allaah can make hear whomever He wills, whereas you [Muhammad] cannot make hear such as are in their graves. You are nothing but a warner. Verily, We have sent you with the truth, as a bearer of glad tidings and as a warner ...” [Faatir 35:19-24]

Thus in orderto be truly living in this life we must live in the way that we are meant to live: The Way that Allaah (SWT) created us for. We must be awake and aware of ourselves, our surroundings and our Deen. A proverb states that: “People are in a slumber, and they only wake up when they die.” This is true, as we know from our experience in this life. We know this from what we hear and read in the Qur’aan. Allaah tells us about people who, when the time of death arrives, realise how wrong they had been, and they wish to be given other chances to do good. Allaah (SWT) says:

“Until, when death approaches any of them he says: “O my Lord! Send me back (to life), so that I might act righteously in whatever I have neglected before!” Nay, it is indeed but a [meaningless] word that he utters; for behind those [who leave the word] is a barrier until the Day when all will be raised from the dead.” [Mu’mineen 23: 99-100]
Working...
X