Who exactly is a Wahabi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who exactly is a Wahabi?

I had heard these slogans in Karachi during several election campaigns "Wahabi Thah" and I thought all people with beard are Wahabis. Then I found that it is Jamat-e-Islami people who are called Wahabis. Later on, I found that middle eastern people are termed as Wahabis.
    If someone's idea of Islam doesn't match with somebody else then they call him Wahabi too.

Who exactly is Wahabi? Do you know the person who started this religion "Wahabism". What are the preachings of this group?

Do Wahabi people call themselves Wahabis or is that some group of people who like to name a group use this term for them.

**If you are making an statement then please give proof**

I think most of saudi's are wahabis but cant tell you the difference or anything about them. I would like to know this too

------------------
    "kaisay na karta usko main pyar, uski haseen main sukh thay hazaar, bichar gayay hum dukh ki hay baat"
    Ain't new ta this....HOMEINVASION('93)

Comment

I went to Pakistan and my cousins said to me "We thought you had a long beard and you had become a Wahabi."

A lot of people even on Gupshup curse Wahabis so I just want to know who they are.

Ali_R, u have a beard. Are you a wahabi?

Comment

Originally posted by khan_sahib:
        I went to Pakistan and my cousins said to me "We thought you had a long beard and you had become a Wahabi."

A lot of people even on Gupshup curse Wahabis so I just want to know who they are.

Ali_R, u have a beard. Are you a wahabi?

People with goaties arnt called wahabis

Comment

Alpha1

Why? Is beard a measurement of Wahabism.

Comment

Wahabis? That is a word coined by people of subcontinent mainly to refer to people who do not hold unnecessary events in Islam, unlike many other sects like Brailviyaat, Shias, and others who have created their own ways of pleasing Allah and their own ways of getting help from Allah.

Some examples of those innovative ways are:

Going to graves of peers and asking them for help.
            Holding a feast on geeyaarveen sharifs(11th of every month) on the name of some Imaam who if you look at his writting prohibbited such acts.
            Holding Milads and other annual gatherings and refer to them as Islamic holidays(eids) whereas Islam only has two(2) holidays and that is it.
            Shouting other slogans which hold Mohammad(saw) as more than what Allah is.
            and many other little little things in every day life which have no basis in Islam but are product of Hinduism.

Those things were done by people of najd in Saudia and man named Abdul Wahab set out to restore the religion and stop people from changing Islam and creating BS in it. That is why those people who would not let go of the ways of their ancestors and other things adapted from Hinduism refer to those who stop them from doing such things as Wahabis.

------------------
            "I am not playing with a full deck!"

Comment

bro Khan_sahib, the term 'wahabi' originates from a person named "Abdul Wahab" (don't know his complete name) who started a movement to 'revive' Islam and 'discard' all the 'innovations'/'bidaat'...
              this 'innovations'/'bidaat' removal earned him enemies from Shias and Brelvis. Shias also blame him/responsible for dismissal of Khilafat early last century (WW I).

This person Abdul Wahab was from Sunni school of thought (gives another reason to Shias to hold grudge againsta him and the movement). so nowadays, every person who 'dislikes' innovations in religion is considered / termed as "wahabi".

------------------
              We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

Originally posted by khan_sahib:
                Alpha1

Why? Is beard a measurement of Wahabism.
                In todays age, the quantity of ones beard has become a measurement of many things

But seriously, the term Wahabi is derived from Shaikh Muhammad Ibn Abdul Wahab and his works namely the 'athul at thalatha', or the 3 pinciples (of at-Tawheed). A noble work within which is contained the guidance on the worhsi of Allah alone.

Since this thus prohibits the worship of graves/personalities/saints/datas, people who then practice in such acts coined the term Wahabi.

Al-Wahab is one of the 99 names of Allah that have been revealed to us.

Nowadays, when you advise people about the Sunnah of the Nabi (saw), people who dont like what you tell them call you a wahabi. E.g. 'oh these people dont allow this as they are Wahabis'.

There is no Wahabi sect, nor does anyone call towards 'Wahabisim'.

Comment

Please don't quote me but I think 'Wahabi' is a sect in Islam who are more 'orthodox' in their interpretation of Islamic teaching!

Usually a sect is considered Orthdox if they take words by its first meaning! Be more triditional or conventional in their practices and approch. Not liberal to new thoughts & changes.
                  I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                  - Robert McCloskey

Comment

I've heard in Pakistan they wash mosques after a wahabi prays in it. Looks like Pakistan is getting more and more Islamic.
                    Shias also blame him/responsible for dismissal of Khilafat early last century (WW I).
                    Where did you get that false information? No one gave or gives a damn about the Khilafat of the Ottomans, except for that little half naked fakhir Gandhi.

[This message has been edited by Salman (edited August 30, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by ahmadjee:
                      Please don't quote me but I think 'Wahabi' is a sect in Islam who are more 'orthodox' in their interpretation of Islamic teaching!

Usually a sect is considered Orthdox if they take words by its first meaning! Be more triditional or conventional in their practices and approch. Not liberal to new thoughts & changes.
                      Thank you ahmadjee, I had this in mind as well as I thought that all "hardcore islamists" are called Wahabi too. I don't know much but I have met few who follow Abdul Wahab's teaching. Apart from one guy most of them seems fine to me.

Also, I don't think they should be the only one to be termed as Wahabis coz I know that some of the shias are quite orthodox as well and I respect that.

Comment

So Shias can be called Wahabi too. Thats interesting. Such as Wahabi Shia. hmm

Actually most of shia discussants in this forum are quite orthodox so they are wahabi.

[This message has been edited by analyze it (edited August 30, 2001).]

Comment

Yes, except for the fact that Shias don't call others Kaffirs unlike the Saudi Wahabis.

Comment

Originally posted by Salman:
                            Where did you get that false information? No one gave or gives a damn about the Khilafat of the Ottomans, except for that little half naked fakhir Gandhi.

[This message has been edited by Salman (edited August 30, 2001).]
                            this false information was provided by fello Shia guppies on this forum , you can search yourself, i don't remember the exact nick but I think it was Pagluu.

------------------
                            We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

Wahabies are a sect that deviated from Ahlus-sunnah which emerged about 230 years ago. It's founder is named Mohmmad Bin Abdulwahab. That man when he came with his new sect, imediately the scholars of Ahlus-sunnah refuted him. One of The first to refute him was his brother sheikh sulayman, whom was a great sheikh of Ahlus-sunnah. He authored a book against his cursed brother named: "As-Sawa^iq Al Ilahiyyah Fir-Radi Ala Al-Wahabiyah". And his father used to warn against him and tell people: great evil will be resulted from this man!.

And Many scholars of Ahlus-sunnah prevailed his sect and his ideologies that oppose Islam. One of them is great Mufti of Meccah, the Mufti of shafi^iyyah, Sheikh Ahmad Bin Zayini Dihlan whom authtored a book called: Fitnatul-wahabiyah. Also Mufti Al Hanabilah In meccah as well. And many others.

That wahabie sect claim to be from sunnah, and they use the name "Salafies" to hide the ugliness of the black history of wahabisem, yet they are a deviant sect from Ahlus-sunnah.

They claim that if one visits the grave of the Prophet, he's a mushrik!! and they attribute to Allah the body and the organs and the place in which contradicts Al-Qura'n where Allah said in ayah as-shurah: (Nothing Resembles Allah).

Now they are spreading among people blaspheming them because of their love to the Prophet and declaring them as dalleen becuase they celebrate the Birth of the Best of Allah's Creations.

We had a long debate on this forum with one of them, and he was defeated as he ended up with saying: "The Grave of Prophet Muhammad must be destroyed and leveled with the ground"!!..

Insha'llah we'll put more details for the sake of the benefit and Allah Knows best.
                              Ahmad G
                              Islamic Studies Teacher/Student.

Comment

Working...
                              X