• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Licking your hand (Hadith)

Fwd'ing

Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith - Hadith 7.366
    Narrated by Ibn Abbas

The Prophet said, -When you eat, do not wipe your hands till you have licked
    it, or had it licked by somebody else."

------------------
    "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
    (11:55-56)

Goes to show the importance of food; we sinners go *yuck* or throw it away.

------------------
    Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

Love happens once . . .
    Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Comment

Its important to realize that alot of what we do is not always up to par, but realizing is only one step, feeling remorse and guilt is necessary but its not all, for one must act upon the realization, kinda like putting your learning to use.

Comment

well said, GFQ!
        "A woman has got to be able to say, and not feel guilty, 'Who am I, and what do I want out of life?' She mustn't feel selfish and neurotic if she wants goals of her own, outside of husband and children"

Comment

<<Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith - Hadith 7.366
          Narrated by Ibn Abbas

it, or had it licked by somebody else.">>

May Allah forgive me, but why would someone else lick my fingers?? This hadith is not solid, as licking someone's else fingers could be health hazard. Prophet could not have said this.

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiaa:
            Fwd'ing

Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith - Hadith 7.366
            Narrated by Ibn Abbas

it, or had it licked by somebody else."

This seems gross and non-sense. To have your hands licked by someone else.Doesn't make any sense at all.

Comment

Food, Meals (Bukhari)

Volume 7, Book 65, Number 366:
              Narrated Ibn 'Abbas:

The Prophet said, 'When you eat, do not wipe your hands till you have licked it, or had it licked by somebody else."

Comment

Summarized Sahih Muslim
                Volume 2
                Pg. 708

Ibn 'Abbas (RA) said: The Messenger of Allah (SAW) said, "When you eat, do not wipe your hands until you have licked it, or had it likced by someone else."

Jabir (RA) narrated: The Prophet (SAW) ordered that both the fingers and the dish be licked and said: "You do not know where the blessing is."

Hope that helped !!!

Comment

no it did'nt ... Islam always preches cleaniness and moderation ! so its counter intutive to islamic teachings if we take this hadith to be geniune!

I think its one of the more shadowy hadiths!

------------------
                  To do in life is to appreciate it. To live life is to lose it. I dont know what I am saying so I will stop saying it.

Comment

>>>This seems gross and non-sense. To have your hands licked by someone else.Doesn't make any sense at all.<<

Perhaps, in such an intensely hedonistic, consumer society such as ours where there is no shortage of food but an overabundance it might clearly be difficult to comprehend such a state wherein every morsel, every crumb, every drop, contains much cherished sustenance.

Comment

Even if there is a shortage of food, it does not necessitates having your fingers licked by someone else.You can always lick it yourself if you wish to.
                      We should use our brain sometimes not the hearts all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by analyze it:
                        Even if there is a shortage of food, it does not necessitates having your fingers licked by someone else.You can always lick it yourself if you wish to.
                        We should use our brain sometimes not the hearts all the time.
                        I agree. It is dirty and unacceptable regardless of the fact whether there is shortage of food or not. A man made fabricated religion. Prophet will never advocate such a dirty habit. What's next to lick according to these self proclaimed custodians of Islam. What a shame !!!!

Comment

The only people who find this practice unacceptable are the ones who use the Knife and Fork (which by the way was accidently used for food consumption as they were originally invented for Medical purposes).

If you don't want to lick your hands after eating then don't. Stick to eating with the knife and forks.

Noone is forcing this A'Hadeeth on anyone.

It's called INDIVIDUAL CHOICE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Girl from Quraysherhaps, in such an intensely hedonistic, consumer society such as ours where there is no shortage of food but an overabundance it might clearly be difficult to comprehend such a state wherein every morsel, every crumb, every drop, contains much cherished sustenance.
                            [/B]
                            Well said.
                            I know of 2 cases of white americans, who converted to Islam simply upon seeing a jamaat of namazis eating in pairs, out of the same plate, with their hands. He questioned the health 'hazards' of their actions...and was told that they had been eating like that for years, and had yet to get sick because of that. That was perhaps a moment of truth for that man, who sat down for a lengthy exchange of knowledge with the group, and ended up embracing Islam.

So basically....its upto Allah SWT as to who He gives hidayat. Sometimes the hidayat escapes even us Muslims and hits a non-believer sitting far far away.

Comment

sick old minds don't realise that you start eating food by washing your hands first according to sunnah, then how can your hands get dirty while you are eating food? unless you are eating dirt itself.

------------------
                              We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

Working...
                              X