Is CHESS haram in Islam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is CHESS haram in Islam?

I've heard many people say this but no one has ever given me a reference of any Hadith(s). Is it true?? I've heard some people in Pakistan call it "Manhoos"... but I think that is just a superstition.

Yaar , Even the Encyclopedia Brittanica( 30. 40 volumes) does not have everything. What do you expect from the Koran Shareef? Allah ne aap ko demaag diya hai. Try to think for yourself. Or you only want to be led by others interpretations???

Comment

Originally posted by Tanhaa:
      Yaar , Even the Encyclopedia Brittanica( 30. 40 volumes) does not have everything. What do you expect from the Koran Shareef? Allah ne aap ko demaag diya hai. Try to think for yourself. Or you only want to be led by others interpretations???
      Nahin yaar, aisee baat nahin hai! I still play the game coz no one has ever given me a reference of any hadiths... but I was wondering if someone had it! Who knows it might be Haraam? Btw, I don't think we can compare Britannica with Quran Shareef.

Comment

I was just kidding yaar. After all Allah Miye bhee to hum logoo-n ke sath Shatranj khelta hai. We are pawns in his hands...

Comment

Ok, here is how it is. To my knowledge there is no hadeeth. BUT as a chess player myself I know this game is EXTREMELY addictive. Now excess of anything is haraam because its abuse to yourself. So Chess is a "Manhoos" game if played in excess but otherwise its ok to play it.

Good enough explanation for you?

------------------
          Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

Love happens once . . .
          Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Comment

Coconut summed things up accurately, in my estimation.

Anything practiced/played to the extent that it prevents you from carrying out your other duties cannot favoured.

Comment

I was just kidding yaar. After all Allah Miye bhee to hum logoo-n ke sath Shatranj khelta hai. We are pawns in his hands...
              I hope you really don't mean what you are saying.
              My knowledge on this is that chess is a derivative of games forbidden in Quran (choosar). This game keeps you indulged so deep that you forget the world (most of the time), such games are usually considered 'deeds of satan'. scholars usually forbid those activities where you may forget Allah... coz Allah encourages people to remember him all the time......... did I get away from the topic??? urghhhhh.

------------------
              We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

Wah wah.. bil kul sahi. Allah miya na demaag diya hai to larkiyoo-n ko. we guys are really blundering in the dark as usual..

CocoNut. I assume you are a women. If not then the exception proves my hypothesis..

Comment

CAN MUSLIMS PLAY CHESS?

Comment

Once my mother told me that we Shias don't play chess is because Yazid was playing chess and Husain's head was nearby sitting on a chair. Whether this story is true or not, it doesn't matter because everybody(good or bad) plays chess and other games.

Comment

I could be very wrong here so would appreciate anyone correcting me. The website given seems to be that of a somewhat extreme Islamic organization. For eg., it forbids the celebrating of birthdays, which I have read of before as being against Islamic principles, but I have yet to read a truly rational and convincing argument for this. So, thus far I would have to agree with CocoNut's post - anything done in extreme is obviously not good for the body and thus haraam (whether it's playing chess, working excessively, watching TV, etc.).

Comment

Saadia: I find that article does not prove worthy for me to disengage playing chess.

Alright, given we are here to worship Allah. But we are human beings and we do have LIKES and DISLIKES. Our Prophet was a human and he too LIKED playing games with his wife, archery. Our Prophet LIKED the colour green and disliked red.

I like the colour red and like playing chess but there is no reason to declare it HARAAM because our Prophet did not play or like that color. If it were declared haraam then it would be clearly written.

These are his likes and dislikes. The entire article does not prove a single point if Chess is to be played or not.

Yes, I may sound ignorant but its one of those shady topics. I'd like some more explanation. I play the game in moderation and not in excess. I personally don't find the game HARAAM.

It is also noted in the article that other games were disliked by our Prophet when infact I've heard that wrestling is sunnah and being sunnah it must be liked by our Prophet.

This article you've refered to is a bit extreme in my point of view. Don't you think so?

Kindly prove how it is entirely wrong to play chess or and other games besides the games specified in the article.

------------------
                        Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

Love happens once . . .

Comment

Wah wah.. bil kul sahi. Allah miya na demaag diya hai to larkiyoo-n ko. we guys are really blundering in the dark as usual..

CocoNut. I assume you are a women. If not then the exception proves my hypothesis..
                          Tanhaa: Your assumption was incorrect. Maybe it was you who's blundering in the dark mist of assumptions rather than the male collective also refered by you as "we guys"

Eh, who knows

------------------

Love happens once . . .

Comment

Thanks for correcting me CocoNut. But I'm a firm believer in the wisdom of the gentler sex.

Comment

Chess is a very popular game, and the opinion of jurists concerning it varies. Some consider it halaal, others makruh and still others haraam. Those who consider it haraam cite some A'Hadeeth in support of their position, but researchers have proved that chess did not appear until after the death of the Prophet PBUH, thus all such A'Hadeeth must be fabricated.

The Sahaaba themselves held differing views about playing chess. Ibn Umar said that it is worse than backgammon and Ali regarded it as gambling ( perhaps meaning when it is played for money), while some others merely expressed disapproval of it.

However, some Sahaaba and some of the second generation scholars allowed it. Among these were Ibn Abbas, Abu Hurairah, Ibn Sirin, Hisham bin Umrah and Sa'id bin al-Musayyib.

I agree with these jurists, since the original principle is the permissibility of acts and no text is to be found prohibiting it. Moreover, in addition to being a game and a recreation, chess is also a mental exercise which requires thought and planning. In this respect it is the opposite of backgammon, for while backgammon is a game of chance and therefore comparible to divining with arrows. Chess is a game of skill and strategy which may be compared to archery.

However, I believe playing chess is permissable only if the following three conditions are met:

1 one should not get so absorbed in it that he delays his salaat, as chess is well known to be a stealer of time.

2 there should be no gambling involved.

3 the players should not utter obscenities or vulgarities.

If any of these conditions are not met, then it should be considered Haraam.

Comment

Working...
                              X