Term Shia in Quran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Term Shia in Quran

An example was Prophet Abraham who was mentioned in Quran specifically as the Shia of Noah:

"And most surely Abraham was among the Shia of him (i.e., Noah)" (Quran 37:83)

(Notice that the word "Shia" is explicitly used, letter by letter, in the above verse as well as the following verse.) In another verse, Quran talks about the Shia of Moses versus the enemies of Moses:

"And he (Moses) went into the city at a time when people (of the city) were not watching, so he found therein two men fighting, one being of his Shia and the other being his enemy, and the one who was of his Shia cried out to him for help against the one who was of his enemy" (Quran 28:15)

In the above verse of Quran, one is named the Shia of Moses (AS) and the other one is named the enemy of Moses, and the people at that time were either the Shia or the enemy of Moses (AS). Thus Shia is an official word used by Allah in His Quran for His high rank prophets as well as their followers. Do you want to say Prophet Abraham was sectarian? How about Prophet Noah and Prophet Moses?

If somebody calls himself a Shia, it is not due to any sectarianism, nor any innovation. It is because Quran has used the phrase for some of His best servants. The above verses that I mentioned in support of Shia, has used this term singular form (i.e., one group of followers). This means that it has special meaning, such as: THE Shia of Noah (AS), THE Shia of Moses (AS). Also in the History of Islam, Shia has been specially used for the "followers of Ali". The first individual who used this term was the Messenger of Allah himself:

The Messenger of Allah said to Ali: "Glad tiding O Ali! Verily you and your companions and your Shia (followers) will be in Paradise."

Sunni references:

Fadha'il al-Sahaba, by Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, v2, p655
    Hilyatul Awliyaa, by Abu Nu'aym, v4, p329
    Tarikh, by al-Khateeb al-Baghdadi, v12, p289
    al-Awsat, by al-Tabarani
    Majma' al-Zawa'id, by al-Haythami, v10, pp 21-22
    al-Darqunti, who said this tradition has been transmitted via numerous authorities.
    al-Sawa'iq al-Muhriqah, by Ibn Hajar Haythami , Ch. 11, section 1, p247

Salaam
    ramesha
    "Verily, I am leaving behind two precious things among you: the Book of God and my kindred, my household..(Sahi Muslim, Hadith Thaqalayn is narrated by thirty plus Companions of the Prophet)

Originally posted by ramesha:
    If somebody calls himself a Shia, it is not due to any sectarianism, nor any innovation. It is because Quran has used the phrase for some of His best servants
    Allah SWT has used the word 'Muslim' a lot more for His beloved followers, Prophets and servants. Wouldnt that make 'Muslim' more preferable than any other term?

Shia in arabic means, "follower", "of ones' jama'at". Grammatically can be used for anyone who is a follower of someone. It does not have a religious connotation as such. Wallaho a'alam.

Comment

Salaam Akif,

I have not suggested that term "Shia" is better then "Muslim" or anything. Ofcourse, one has to be muslim before anythingelse.

mbmagsi had asked if either of the term, shia or sunni, being present in Quran or not.
      I was just answering him.

Salaam
      ramesha
      "Verily, I am leaving behind two precious things among you: the Book of God and my kindred, my household..(Sahi Muslim, Hadith Thaqalayn is narrated by thirty plus Companions of the Prophet)

Comment

Sis Ramesha, it would've been much better if you had replied to bro Mbmagsi in his own thread, instead of creating another thread for this purpose. I hope in future you'll keep this in mind.

Thanks.

------------------
        We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

I think it is safe to infer that the term "Shia" is used in Koran but that term has no relationship and does not refer to present day " Shia" sect. IN other words present day shias are not mentioned anywhere in Koran or Hadiths.

Comment

present day shias are not mentioned anywhere in Koran or Hadiths.[/b][/B]
            Who do you think Quran is reffering to as Momins.

Comment

Momins in Koran stands for pious muslims. Not for shias or sunnis. Whoerver follows Islam according to his beliefs should be considered a Momin.

Comment

It is not safe! in fact it is absolutely disasterous and deeply evil/malicious to infer what you have suggested.

The noun Shi'a in the Quran refers to friends. It is a word of Arabic, and the Prophet PBUH used the same word for the Shi'a of Ali (AS).

These are the present day Shi'as.

Originally posted by analyze it:
                I think it is safe to infer that the term "Shia" is used in Koran but that term has no relationship and does not refer to present day " Shia" sect. IN other words present day shias are not mentioned anywhere in Koran or Hadiths.

Comment

Originally posted by alizadeh2000:
                  It is not safe! in fact it is absolutely disasterous and deeply evil/malicious to infer what you have suggested.

The noun Shi'a in the Quran refers to friends. It is a word of Arabic, and the Prophet PBUH used the same word for the Shi'a of Ali (AS).

These are the present day Shi'as.

you are coming back with different answer. what Analyze It said is that the terms "Shia" used in Quran is for friends... but not for "Shias of Ali RA". It may have been used by Prophet PBUH, but not in "Quran". hope that helps.

------------------
                  We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

Working...
                  X