status of women in hinduism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

status of women in hinduism

If a woman was widowed, she would always have to wear a white sari (costume), eat vegetarian meals, cut her hair short, and never re-marry.

The bride always had to pay the dowry (bridal money) to the husband's family.
    And the husband could ask for anything, irrespective of whether the bride would have difficulty giving it.

Not only that, if after marriage she was not able to pay the full dowry she would be both emotionally and physically tortured, and could end up being a victim of "kitchen death" where the husband, or both the mother-in-law and the husband try to set fire to the wife while she is cooking or is in the kitchen, and try to make it look like an accidental death. More and more of these instances are taking place. The daughter of a friend of my own father's had the same fate last year!

In addition to all this, men in Hinduism are treated literally as among the gods. In one of the religious Hindu celebration, unmarried girls pray for and worship an idol representing a particular god (Shira) so that they may have husbands like him. Even my own mother had asked me to do this. This made me see that the Hindu religion which is based on superstitions and things that have no manifest proof (1), but were merely traditions which oppressed women could not be right.

I took this above paragraph from a article that i already posted where this hindu women converted and she had to say something about status of women in hinduism.

Comment

Well..in Islam they have to cover themselves head to foot so that nobody can see them...they cannot question it otherwise they will be severely punished by men.

Each muslim men can keep four wives and divorce them at whim women have no power. Women cannot travel get passport without premission of their husband or father. In some muslim countries women cannot even shop without male relative or their husband accompanied them. Women are virtual slaves.

I agree things are not exactly perfect in India but we are long way ahead of u and trying very hard to do away with injustices towards women.

[This message has been edited by Rani (edited August 18, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rani:
        ...they cannot question it otherwise they will be severely punished by men.
        Sorry, but who do you mean by "they"? If females in Afghanistan, then I would probably agree with you. Not ALL Muslim females however would be severely punished. Contrary to popular misperceptions, not all of us are shackled at home.

Women cannot travel get passport without premission of their husband or father. In some muslim countries women cannot even shop without male relative or their husband accompanied them. Women are virtual slaves.

I think that is true of Saudi Arabia, but then MANY practices in Saudi Arabia are contrary to Islam. Islam has allocated many rights to females; serious problems arise when cultural practices such as tribalism enter into the picture.

Comment

Well..in Islam they have to cover themselves head to foot so that nobody can see them...they cannot question it otherwise they will be severely punished by men.

Each muslim men can keep four wives and divorce them at whim women have no power. Women cannot travel get passport without permission of their husband or father. In some muslim countries women cannot even shop without male relative or their husband accompanied them. Women are virtual slaves.
          Injustices of a own person is different of applying injustices while taking religious principles into account.
          All points you have mentioned here are different from my families attitude and we still consider ourselves Pakistani (of course Muslims) and all of my relatives are living in Pakistan and i never heard of such things happening in our community circle and society.

Yeah there are ppl who do it. NO doubt but i think still there have been a lot of changes and women in Islam have equal rights perhaps even more then their male partner.
          What ppl do is dependent on their own character....these are character less ppl in my eyes.
          I agree things are not exactly perfect in India but we are long way ahead of u and trying very hard to do away with injustices towards women.
          As far as that marriage is concerned. There is a place (while performing the 7 peras) when "pandit ji" says: "Tum apne Patti ki juti ke barabar ho aur tumara Patti tumare liye khuda hai".

I dont think ull find such discriminating statements in ISLAM!

-----------

"One who condones evils is just as guilty as the one who
          perpetrates it."
          Ain't new ta this....HOMEINVASION('93)

Comment

In Islam only head scaf is required. This shows how much you know about Islam.

Comment

Originally posted by Abdali:
              In Islam only head scaf is required. This shows how much you know about Islam.

How about that verse from Quran that tell women that covering should go from their head to bosom..it has been posted by proponants of covering on this forum many times.

Comment

Injustices of a own person is different of applying injustices while taking religious principles into account.
                All points you have mentioned here are different from my families attitude and we still consider ourselves Pakistani (of course Muslims) and all of my relatives are living in Pakistan and i never heard of such things happening in our community circle and society.

Really...i am not discussing your particular family, are u saying one men cannot have four wives in Islam and men cannot divorce women by repeating talaq four times..also all children of the marriage don't belong to a man...

Yeah there are ppl who do it. NO doubt but i think still there have been a lot of changes and women in Islam have equal rights perhaps even more then their male partner.
                What ppl do is dependent on their own character....these are character less ppl in my eyes.

What equal rights are u talking about..can women have four husbands or divorce their husbands by saying talaq three times.

As far as that marriage is concerned. There is a place (while performing the 7 peras) when "pandit ji" says: "Tum apne Patti ki juti ke barabar ho aur tumara Patti tumare liye khuda hai".

That is what they tell you in schools in Pakistan...what a joke. Hindu marriage act comes under the law of the land and it is very similar to laws of all secular nations. Under the law men and women have equal rights and equal share in all the property of the couple.

I dont think ull find such discriminating statements in ISLAM!

No need to discriminate in Islam women have no rights they are virtually slaves, they cannot even get a passport without premission from their husband or fathers..

Comment

Well..in Islam they have to cover themselves head to foot
                  How about that verse from Quran that tell women that covering should go from their head to bosom
                  First of all, make up your mind. head to foot? head to bosom? or was that head to left-hand's thumb? please decide and then get back..aakhir we as Muslims should be made aware of what our own religion advises us to do, by you.

Secondly, yes how about them? Please enlighten what's wrong with covering to the bosom..or are you prescribed by yours to roam around with a open chaati?

Comment

How about that verse from Quran that tell women that covering should go from their head to bosom..it has been posted by proponants of covering on this forum many times.

I don't want to argue with you bcoz of ur ignorance. Forget who said what go to the source,,,, "Qu'ran"

Comment

Really...i am not discussing your particular family, are u saying one men cannot have four wives in Islam and men cannot divorce women by repeating talaq four times..also all children of the marriage don't belong to a man...

My family and my society i live in doesnt consist of only 1 or 10 persons there are more than 200! And then those 200 know other 200 etc etc....there might be 2 who adopt those "pendu" habits.

What equal rights are u talking about..can women have four husbands or divorce their husbands by saying talaq three times.

You want that??! Do it. But dont accept from ALLAH then that he'll provide you "JANNAT".

That is what they tell you in schools in Pakistan...what a joke. Hindu marriage act comes under the law of the land and it is very similar to laws of all secular nations. Under the law men and women have equal rights and equal share in all the property of the couple.

I have never been to a Pakistani school my dear..this is what hinduism is all about. Every kidd knows it not only Pakistani ppl.

No need to discriminate in Islam women have no rights they are virtually slaves, they cannot even get a passport without premission from their husband or fathers..

That's what you are saying not (and maybe some are applying) ISLAM...stubborn ppl wont understand.
                      Read Holy Quran...it has all the right answers to your right (wrong) questions.

Religion is a part of history and it has to be performed according to the change of time.

-----------
                      "Ignorance is no excuse. You might proof right wrong and wrong right."
                      Ain't new ta this....HOMEINVASION('93)

Comment

You have to be a little smarter. Who told you that Muslim women canít have a passport and they canít travel? How imprudent could you get?

How come close to 1 million women go for Hajj pilgrims every year?
                        As I said ďa littler more smarterĒÖ.

Where did you see Muslim men cogently divorcing their wifeís and getting married to other women? Did you see this happening around your community?
                        Again if you make a point or mean to say it, do provide some sort of a proof just to back you up.

Comment

Rani always manages to confuse me..

i mean, we're talking about hinduism. she, being a sikh, is protecting hindiusm?

i know many sikh here in canada (my neighbour being one of them), and they're disghusted by hinduism (caste system tops the list)..

I think its her blind hatred towards muslims that is the reason..

Comment

LAW in india "corrects" many inherent wrongs in hinduism.

Comment

eventhough india is secular hindus and muslims have different law governing marriage diovorce and inheritance.
                              even in the west there is one law governing all religens.if mulsim wants divorce in the west he has to go through same as christians.

Comment

Working...
                              X