Literal interpretation of Holy books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Literal interpretation of Holy books

Why do fundamentalists take a literal view of holy books?

e.g. Hindus bathe in the Ganges to wash their sins. When its just the prayer that counts. Hindus in Bali cant do that.

Muslims turn towards Mecca to pray , when God is everywhere in all directions. What to do in outer space in the space shuttle.

Christians must be baptized to be accepted as christians. When God made us all and Jesus loves us all.

If we take the symbolic essence of the message, life would be so much more peaceful. There will so few contradictions to deal with.

facing 'kaaba' gives a sense of unity... Muslims all over the world pray towards one CENTER... gives the idea of a central place too, only if you can think.

how much time is an astronaut in space shuttle when he SHOULD NOT MOVE??? a couple of hours?? right, then it can be used as an excuce for delaying or praying early.
    'try your best' to face ka'ba. its the intention that would count (when you really don't know).

try to find another excuse to not follow Islam. If Allah asked to do it, then who do you want to turn to? if you don't wanna follow Allah and his commandment then there is huge population of humankind who didn't follow, does not want to follow, simply join them. you don't have to complain, none of the Muslim would complain to face towards ka'ba for prayers, why do you?

------------------
    We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

Originally posted by Tanhaa:
      Muslims turn towards Mecca to pray , when God is everywhere in all directions. What to do in outer space in the space shuttle. .

Ibrahim says : Apparently you (Tanhaa) seem to lack knowledge intentionally or unintentionally , hence your misconception that Muslims believe Allah is present only in Makkah!

Read what had been revealed to the Muslims concerning what is required of them, clearly negating your notion that it has something to do with direction.

2: 177 It is not righteousness that ye turn your faces toward East or West; but it is righteousness to believe in Allah and the Last Day and the Angels and the Book and the Messengers; to spend of your substance out of love for Him for your kin for orphans for the needy for the wayfarer for those who ask and for the ransom of slaves; to be steadfast in prayer and practice regular charity; to fulfil the contracts which ye have made; and to be firm and patient in pain (or suffering) and adversity and throughout all periods of panic. Such are the people of truth the Allah-fearing. 177 178 179 180 181

commentary by Yusof Ali:

177 As if to emphasise again a warning against deadening formalism, we are given a beautiful description of the righteous and God-fearing man. He should obey salutary regulation, but he should fix his gaze on the love of God and the love of his fellow-men. We are given four heads: (1) our faith should be true and sincere; (2) we must be prepared to show it in deeds of charity to our fellowmen; (3) we must be good citizens, supporting social organisation; and (4) our own individual soul must be firm and unshaken in all circumstances. They are interconnected, and yet can be viewed separately. (2.177)

178 Faith is not merely a matter of words. We must realise the presence and goodness of God. When we do so, the scales fall from our eyes: all the falsities and fleeting nature of the Present cease to enslave us, for we see the Last Day as if it were today. We also see God's working in His world and in us; His Powers (angels), His Messengers and His Message are no longer remote from us, but come within our experience. (2.177)

179 Practical deeds of charity are of value when they proceed from love, and from no other motive. In this respect, also, our duties take various forms, which are shown in reasonable gradation: our kith and kin; orphans (including any persons who are without support or help); people who are in real need but who never ask (it is our duty to find them out, and they come before those who ask); the stranger, who is entitled to laws of hospitality; the people who ask and are entitled to ask, i.e., not merely lazy beggars, but those who seek our assistance in some form or another (it is our duty to respond to them); and the slaves (we must do all we can to give or buy their freedom). Slavery has many insidious forms, and all are included. (2.177)

180 Charity and piety in individual cases do not complete our duties. In prayer and charity, we must also look to our organised efforts: where there is a Muslim State, these are made through the State, in facilities for public prayer, and public assistance, and for the maintenance of contracts and fair dealing in all matters. (2.177)

181 Then come the Muslim virtues of firmness and patience. They are to "preserve the dignity of man, with soul erect" (Burns). Three sets of circumstances are specially mentioned for the exercise of this virtue: (1) bodily pain or suffering, (2) adversities or injuries of all kinds, deserved and underserved and (3) periods of public panic, such as war, violence, pestilence, etc. (2.177)

Ibrahim says; Your parroting that Muslims will Not know what to do in outer space is just another pathetic question raised by the Christian bigots in various forums not knowing the fact that Muslims only need to make an “intention” and pray facing any direction when they are on a flight or sailing in the ocean.

Devoted to truth
      Ibrahim

Actions will be judged by their "intentions" and every person will be judged accordingly.

Comment

Dear Tanhaa,

If you pay a little attention to the words that are used in following or obeying god, you might understand that the all humanity has been busy in ordering and commanding god.
        God helps, god knows, god is with me, god gives me knowledge, health so and so, even when you say god is everywhere or god is one, you are busy in giving directions to god.

You are right in questing. From space a Muslim astronaut will look at earth, Macca is there.
        In Hindus if someone dies at bed, his some of last rituals should be performed at Kurukshetra at a special small lake. But for poor some strange facilities are available nearby every city.
        Our Ganges is a laundry system you see, for washing sins!

Rgds

Comment

You know Quran also says, we need to drink water while sitting. It should not be done while standing.

Imagine a marathon runner drinking gatorade..he should sit on the floor drink water and then get up to run.

Some of those decrees are really funny and outdated!

Comment

"Hindus bathe in the Ganges to wash their sins. When its just the prayer that counts. Hindus in Bali cant do that. "

Answer:
            I don't know about Hindus bathe process but I am sure that they have their reasons and we can't question it until we know what their believe is.

"Muslims turn towards Mecca to pray , when God is everywhere in all directions. What to do in outer space in the space shuttle".

Answer:
            You don't have to go to Mecca for just prayers. You are right the Allah is every where and you (as Muslim) can pray any where clean. But going to Mecca for Umra and Haj is something you can't do anywhere else but in Mecca. And even then, it is not compulsary to do it as it is once a year thing and that's if you can afford it.

"Christians must be baptized to be accepted as christians. When God made us all and Jesus loves us all".

Answer:
            As far as I knew about Christianity is concern, you are a Christian if you believe in Jesus as Son of god (Na uyo billah). Baptist, Chatholics, Church of England etc is just some of the difference in believes.

"If we take the symbolic essence of the message, life would be so much more peaceful. There will so few contradictions to deal with".

Answer:
            Regarding peaceful life, I would think what ever you believe in (as in religion) God gives you peace if you ask for it.

[This message has been edited by mbmagsi (edited August 14, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by kumarakn:
              You know Quran also says, we need to drink water while sitting. It should not be done while standing.

Imagine a marathon runner drinking gatorade..he should sit on the floor drink water and then get up to run.

Kumarakn!

It is not outdated but it has its reasons... I am sure if you ask a doctor he/she will be able to explain... and we are trying to understand each other's way of life, thinking and believe, so please don't say something which might effect other people.

Comment

Kumar

If one wasn't stupid enough to run a marathon, then they wouldn't be in a position to drink water standing upright!!

By the way, what does the Vedas say about drinking water and running marathons!

Comment

imagine yourself burning in flames... like BBQ... yuck, what a bad smell it would leave... and yes, thats part of hell.

------------------
                  We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

Hey kummakan,
                    Doctors today have said that arthritis in the knee joints is caused by drinking water standing up.

[This message has been edited by Girl from Quraysh (edited August 15, 2001).]

Comment

to mbmagsi: I understand ur sentiments. I will be more careful. But the point I was trying to say is, we should not take everything that is written in our scriptures (including Hindu ones) literally.

to Salman: if you wan't to be seriously considered, give a reference.

to Others: Yawn! Get a life guys!!

[This message has been edited by kumarakn (edited August 14, 2001).]

Comment

Ill find one kummakan, it said on the poster in the clinic i go to. Ill ask the doctor for a website.

Comment

[b]You know Quran also says, we need to drink water while sitting. It should not be done while standing
                          It is not stated in the Quran. Drinking water while sitting down is a sunnat of Prophet SAW....and has its health benefits. Its not without reason.

the point I was trying to say is, we should not take everything that is written in our scriptures (including Hindu ones) literally

Dont know, and dont care about hindu scriptures, but as muslims, we are supposed to take each and every word of the Holy Quran literally. It is a law book for our lives.

You have to come to terms with the fact that Islam has a different concept for Muslims compared to what hinduism means to hindus or christianity to christians. True that neither do many muslims follow Islam the way its supposed to be...but the principles have to be understood before u can judge them.

[This message has been edited by Akif (edited August 14, 2001).]

Comment

whatever religen we belong as a human being
                            we have personal choice. most of the people
                            dont like to scrutinised for ever little act they do by some religious people.
                            even jinnah said goverment has no business
                            in the the religen of people.

Comment

to mbmagsi: I understand ur sentiments. I will be more careful. But the point I was trying to say is, we should not take everything that is written in our scriptures (including Hindu ones) literally.

to Salman: if you wan't to be seriously considered, give a reference. Or I think I have a similar right to make claims like ..."Doctors say you don't have a brain!"

to Others: Yawn! Get a life guys!!

[This message has been edited by kumarakn (edited August 14, 2001).]
                              Kumarakn, Very right. I will agree with you on some points when people take things literally but the example wasn't right at this point. I am sure if we look at only logical things (nothing to do with religion) like our Grand parents say things to us they have there reasons for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X