Quick question to all muslims!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question to all muslims!

What does the quran say about the age of the universe?

Yours is a provocative question.
    Whatever scientists have said so far or will say in future about the age of universe is well written in quran. Simple.

Comment

Originally posted by skv anand:
      Yours is a provocative question.
      Whatever scientists have said so far or will say in future about the age of universe is well written in quran. Simple.
      Please don't be provocated. I am not going to dispute anything or ridicule anything. I am seriously asking this question to know more about this.

Comment

Originally posted by kumarakn:
        What does the quran say about the age of the universe?

How old is the earth?

The Bible provides a chronology of history that extends back to the creation of Adam and Eve and to the creation of the earth. From this chronology it is possible to determine the date of the creation and hence the age of the earth. Archbishop Ussher of Armagh (1581-1657) had calculated the year of creation to be 4004 BC If that was not precise enough, Dr. Lightfoot of Cambridge worked out that the exact time when God completed His creation was 9 a.m. on Friday, October 23, 4004 BC (see the book Thinking about God by Sr. R. W. Maqsood, p. 63).

Many religious groups and sects have used this date in predicting precise dates for the end of the world, but all such predictions have so far proved erroneous. The one fact against them is that the world is still intact and we are very much alive. One reason al1 of those predictions failed is that they are calculated from a false date of creation. If 4004 BC was the year of creation, that would make the earth less than six thousand years old. No scientist can accept this today.

Modern scientists estimate that the earth is 4.5 billion years old with a maximum error of 2.2 % (see The Bible, the Qur’an and Science, p. 148). Knowing this, many educated people lost faith in religion. They naturally felt that the Word of God should not contain errors of this kind. Others maintain that the Word of God was meant to teach only that truth which God wanted put into the scriptures for our salvation It if therefore immaterial if the book contains historical or scientific errors. As the scientist Galileo put it, the Bible is there to teach people how to go to heaven; it is not there to teach people how the heavens go. Some maintain, therefore, that it is understandable that the book will contain some historical and scientific errors since it was written by human beings who lived a long time ago and did not share our modern knowledge.

The Qur’an, on the other hand, does not contain any historical or scientific or any kind of error. God challenges us to test this claim by examining the book for ourselves (see Qur’an 4:82).

READ!!! Do they not consider the Qur'an (with care)? Had it been from other than Allah they would surely have found therein much discrepancy.

The Qur’an does not repeat the incorrect biblical chronology we have seen above. The Qur’an does not give a chronology since its purpose is not to provide us with the details of history, but only to teach us the lessons arising from specific events in history.

The Qur’an does, however tell us that God measured the sustenance of the earth in four periods (Qur’an 41 :10).

READ!!! He set on the (earth) Mountains standing firm high above it and bestowed blessings on the earth and measured therein all things to give them nourishment in due proportion in four Days in accordance with (the needs of) those who seek (sustenance).

( NOTE: a day in the sight of God is about 1000 years in our reckoning)

As to what could be the significance of these four periods, Dr. Bucaille comments as follows: "One could perhaps see in them the four geological periods described by modern science, with man's appearance, as we already know, taking place in the quaternary era. This is purely a hypothesis since nobody has an answer to this question" (The Bible, the Qur’an and Science, p. 150).

How did the author of the Qur’an avoid the mistake in chronology committed by so many others, and believed in by so many others even up to our present day? Could a man in the seventh century have known that the earth was much more than six thousand years old? How could he come by this modern knowledge unless God was revealing knowledge to him?

God tells us that the Qur’an is His book and not the work of any man (see Qur’an 10:37).

READ!!! 10:37 This Qur'an is not such as can be produced by other than Allah; on the contrary it is a confirmation of (revelations) that went before it and a fuller explanation of the Book wherein there is no doubt from the Lord of the Worlds.

NOTE: the word “revelations” and “worlds” not revelation and world…..Mediate on it

Ibrahim says; If you understood the above your question would have also been answered BUT that needs thinking can you THINK, kumarakn?

Comment

According to hinduism the universe is ...........

Universe Trillion Years Old

It is claimed that the ancient Indo-Aryans arrived at an age of the universe remarkably close to what we know today, ie. 4 billion years. In fact, some rishi just invented a very large number which is as far from the truth as the figure given in the Bible, ie. 4000 years. As per this fantastic absurdity, the time that has elapsed of the life of Brahman before our gauge year, ie. the age of the universe, is 26,425,456,204,132 years [ al-B ii 4 ]. This figure of 26 trillion years is approximately 5000 times larger than the standard result of 4 billion years.

A whole set of nonsense is propagated in the Vedas and Puranas :

The wind drives the stars around the pole according to the Vayu Purana [al B i 241]
          The Pancavimsa Brahmana wanted to measure the distance between heaven to Earth by imagining 1000 cows placed on top of each other [ S & T xvi.8.1 and xxi.19 ].
          Sun journeys from east to west in a chariot drawn by 7 horses [ Panda 69 ].
          Moon came out after the ocean was churned by the devas and demons [ Panda 69 ].
          27 stars = 27 wives of the moon [ Panda 69 ].
          2 demons Rahu and Ketu swallow the Sun and moon periodically, leading to eclipses.

Comment

Just asked u about how old the universe is according to islam. Why bring hatred by posting some hate comments about other religions - by posting garbage from HATE sites?

If you really wanna know, what is the age of the universe according to Hinduism, please open another thread, and I will do my best to explain.

[This message has been edited by kumarakn (edited August 10, 2001).]

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kumarakn:
              Just asked u about how old the universe is according to islam. Why bring hatred by posting some hate comments about other religions - by posting garbage from HATE sites?

Ibrahim says; What is the hate about the information I presented concerning other religions??

Did you not notice that even the christian version was also presented??

Kumarakn: If you really wanna know, what is the age of the universe according to Hinduism, please open another thread, and I will do my best to explain.

Ibrahim says; what is wrong with this thread that you cannot explain your take on how hinduism has the corret numbers??

Comment

Dunno about age of universe but imam Ali has a great speeech on how the universe was made!!

And it is exactly like scintist say!!! big bang et al!!

If you want it I could post i as it is quite long....

Comment

A short answer,

The Holy Quran is NOT a book of science. Its main purpose was to establish rules in order to create a well-functioning social structure in a society. Even though, Quran has mentioned a lot of scientific phenomenon, which are true, it has mentioned those in a clause supporting the original message, namely the superiority of the All Mighty Allah. (..and will they still not beleive?).

Trying to explain every scientific phenomenon with basis in the Holy Quran is an erronous approach.

Hope I conveyed my message in an understandable manner.

------------------
                  ~Survival of the smartest~

Comment

Ibrahim,

According to Islam Bible is the book of God So how can you say Bible is wrong and Quran is right?

Tey both have very different theories so they both can't be right.

Comment

Abdali

What Ibrahim meant was the Injeel which was revealed to Jesus and not the present day Bible.

The Injeel was never recorded by Jesus, only acted upon.

The first compilation of the present day Bible came 200 years after the death of Jesus.

Comment

Originally posted by aMiGo:
                        A short answer,

The Holy Quran is NOT a book of science. Its main purpose was to establish rules in order to create a well-functioning social structure in a society. Even though, Quran has mentioned a lot of scientific phenomenon, which are true, it has mentioned those in a clause supporting the original message, namely the superiority of the All Mighty Allah. (..and will they still not beleive?).

Trying to explain every scientific phenomenon with basis in the Holy Quran is an erronous approach.

Hope I conveyed my message in an understandable manner.

Best answer to my question, so far!

Comment

quran is religious book it is not technical
                          manual. religious books are for moral
                          guidance.quran is comprehensive
                          and very specific about how to lead our
                          lives whic is helpful to even people
                          who are not muslims.

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
                            quran is religious book it is not technical
                            manual. religious books are for moral
                            guidance.quran is comprehensive
                            and very specific about how to lead our
                            lives whic is helpful to even people
                            who are not muslims.
                            very well said.
                            Not from Quran but from ahadith (Prophet PBUH sources), we are told that God has sent more than 100,000 (probably around 124,000) prophets to this world. If each prophets age is considered at 60....
                            60 x 100,000 = 6 million.
                            One of the prophets named Noah AS has been told to have lived for around 1000 years and he is regarded as Second father of humanity (as all of world was sunk under water but those on Arc of Noah with him).
                            so I just picked 60 as an average guess, it could be much more than that too, but to be on MIN side. From this, universe seems to be at least 6 million years old.

We are also told, that before HUMAN BEING, jinns (ghosts) lived on this earth. They lived for about 35 million (or may be 3.5 million, I'll check) years before being wiped out (to ALMOST extinction).

This gives universe 41 (or 9.5)million years of age. This is the time mentioned when living creatures lived on earth.

God created universe in 6,000 years.
                            My own view: So it could be that he made one huge BALL (star) and split it (BIG BANG) into millions of pieces (we see this galaxy now) and everything settled (as we see the universe now) in about 6,000 years (from our reference).

As already said, this is just for info, Quran is not technical manual for running universe (how to control Universe), but how to lead a life (a successful one).

------------------
                            We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

Originally posted by Changez_like:
                              God created universe in 6,000 years.
                              Where does this "6000" figure arives from?

Comment

Working...
                              X