A question especially for Hindus.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question especially for Hindus.

I have heard this from some Hindu friends that some hindus worship reproductive parts of male and female. Initially, I thought it was just a joke but later on few others confirmed it. I still don't have much info as to how someone can worship these things and if it is true then could they give us some more info as to the reasons behind it and some links that confirm this.

Thanks

indians worshipped thesethings gods answered
    the prayers noww look what happened god punished india with 1 billion people.
    so dont ask too much from fertility gods
    your wishes may be fulfilled.

[This message has been edited by rvikz (edited July 22, 2001).]

Comment

Fertility rate in Pakistan is much higher even without that kind of so called god.

What is "thesethings"?

Seriously, is that true and please don't try to avoid the question.

Comment

phallus symbols signify fertilty gods.
        humans and animals have innate urge to proppagate and procreate. in the olden days when people got married people used wish
        married couples "may you have 16 children"
        of course phallus symbols are worshipped.

Comment

how interesting...

Comment

why people are offended by phallic symbols
            where do you think we all will be without
            these tool of procreation?

Comment

[QUOTE]a question specially for hindus.

so where are the hindus?

Comment

rvikz

Pardon my ignorance and don't get offended (which I hope you are not) by the responses of the people here, I just can't figure out the relationship of phallus symbol worshiping and fertility.

Is that quite common to worship this phallus symbol among Hindus in India and abroad?

You have mentioned the nature urge of human to propagate and procreate so what about worshipping mouth, ear and nose coz as these are human instincts too as everyone wants to speak, hear and smell. Also, why not a woman is considered God instead of Cow if she provides milk to all babies and do hindus worship breasts as well?

Comment

i understand you worship one god and indians
                  created big bueracracuy of gods.
                  anything life giving is sacred i think that is the idea.

[This message has been edited by rvikz (edited July 22, 2001).]

Comment

I have seen a documentary on this ... not india though in Japan ... they worship male thingy ... especially new married couples

------------------
                    To do in life is to appreciate it. To live life is to lose it. I dont know what I am saying so I will stop saying it.

Comment

Originally posted by AekKella:
                      I have seen a documentary on this ... not india though in Japan ... they worship male thingy ... especially new married couples

Ibrahim says: Salaams

Hi, this notion that people were taught to worship the lingam (male parts) and yoni (female parts) is a misconception due to people hiding their scriptures.

BTW the Japanese are actually following Hinduism, it is known as Shinto to them because hindu was actually derived from the word “shindu” = Shinto.

In Hinduism according to their scriptures Shiva was cursed to be worshipped as the lingam on account of his behavior .

From ancient times sinning parts had to be cut off, still recorded in the Bible as such. Hence the lingam came into existence.

Comment

rvikz

Can I repeat one of my question that I asked earlier.

>>>Is that quite common to worship this phallus symbol among Hindus in India and abroad?<<<<

Also, if any life giving thing is considered god then what about Doctors, Nurses and not forget the mothers who give birth. Why not worship mothers and even fathers who have equal share (to some extent yet) in bringing a kid to life?

Comment

Originally posted by khan_sahib:
                          rvikz

Can I repeat one of my question that I asked earlier.

>>>Is that quite common to worship this phallus symbol among Hindus in India and abroad?<<<<

Also, if any life giving thing is considered god then what about Doctors, Nurses and not forget the mothers who give birth. Why not worship mothers and even fathers who have equal share (to some extent yet) in bringing a kid to life?

Phallus worship is very common in the Shivite sect, that is people who worship shiva. In Hinduism, after God, the next position is given to the guru (or teacher). Parents have the next postion.

Mothers and Fathers are also worshipped and a doctor maybe worshipped too. Since Hindus see divinity in all living things, anyone of them is a candidate for worship.

"A woman has got to be able to say, and not feel guilty, 'Who am I, and what do I want out of life?' She mustn't feel selfish and neurotic if she wants goals of her own, outside of husband and children"

Comment

Permit me to correct you Aishaa:

In Hinduism, there are many many scriptures/stories that recommend this order
                            1. First and foremost is your Mother,
                            2. then comes your Father
                            3. Then comes your Guru
                            and the fourth comes "God" - or Knowledge of Reality.

************************************************** *************************************

And with regards to the main question of this thread, "Do Hindus worship sex symbols?", I have the following thing to say:

IMO, before analyzing a custom or tradition of another sect/culture, it is recommended that we understand the culture very well. For example, a westerner will never be able to appreciate Islamic concept of Purdah, if he/she analyses it from a western perspective. A genuine attempt to understand the Purdah system involves understanding the Islamic culture, social values, and mainly social structure of Islam.

Similarly, you should understand how "Hinduism" treats a the concept of "Sex" before attempting to comprehend the Linga Worship in Hinduism. In Hinduism, the God, the Reality, the Truth is also called as the "Life Force" or "Prana" or "Jeeva". Hindu scriptures explain," the ability/phenomenon that gives the life in me - is the Supreme Reality. What is that in me that makes me to be called as living is actually an effect of that Supreme Truth."

Thus, when life force is attributed as an effect of god, the concept of sexual unision actually takes some spiritual significance, as it is that act that creates life. In Hinduism, sex is not a mere pleasurable act. It is not for fun. It signifies the ability to produce life - where the blessings of "The Reality" is obtained.

Shiva linga - which you refer as the Phallus symbol, signifies the Cosmic Unision of two oppositely charged entities that created the first life in the universe. Worship of Shiva linga is the worship of the Cosmic Reality that we call as "Life".

Any more questions, feel free to shoot!

Comment

When it comes to religion there is nothing that can be discussed logically. Its faith and belief. Ther can be only questions, but no real answers. So dont even try guys.

"Who knows anything about relgious beliefs any way."

Comment

Working...
                              X