is eating frog's legs haram?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is eating frog's legs haram?

i dont know whether these animals are haram or halal or macroo or what, someone please clarify:

frog/turtle
    alligator
    snake
    bull
    octapus/squid

i recently met a few worldly travelors in houston who try the local delacasies when they go to a new place. i never wonderred about these animals because i never ate them.
    Got Gup?

sachi bata Bharsh kia kia kha gaye well I heard muslims eat Octopus and squid
    Saints are fine for Heaven, but they are hell on earth.

Comment

I wanted to know as well if Turtle is Halal and it's egg which are mostly supplied in the name of chicken eggs in Pakistan.

Comment

And what about worms (in powdered form)?

Our 8th grade teacher practically forced us to try em.

Comment

Originally posted by khan_sahib:
          I wanted to know as well if Turtle is Halal and it's egg which are mostly supplied in the name of chicken eggs in Pakistan.
          Kahn_sahib,
          Turtle eggs,.You know,...we are muslims and we must abide by our religion and should not do anything or hide from others in business. But,Now-a-days, money is everything for some they don't care. They are thinking as if they will never die. Or they won't have to pay for their actions to higher authority (God).
          Very hard to believe.......On this issue where are those mullahs who issues FATWAS.

°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`° ¤ø,¸°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ ºÂ°`°º¤ø,¸,¸¸,ø¤º °`°º¤ø,¸,¸¸,ø¤º° ºÂ¤Ã¸

A Faith that cannot survive collision with the truth is not worth many regrets.

Comment

Originally posted by Bharysh:
            i dont know whether these animals are haram or halal or macroo or what, someone please clarify:

frog/turtle
            alligator
            snake
            bull
            octapus/squid

i recently met a few worldly travelors in houston who try the local delacasies when they go to a new place. i never wonderred about these animals because i never ate them.
            Frog/turtle/alligator - to the best of my knowledge, these are definately haraam because although the Quran says that we are allowed the fruits of the sea, frogs/turtles/alligators are not completely water-dwelling creatures- they can survive and live outside of water.

Octopus / squid -- Degas, that it is only the Hanafi school that prohibits anything from the sea but fish - I think the other schools permit octopus and squid.

Snake - I think snakes are not allowed, cos they are land-dwelling animals and I they don't fit in the category for halal land-based animals.

Bull - isn't a bull just a male cow and thus come under standard cattle? I think bulls are halaal, but I need to check this.......
            Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
            Al-Ghazali

Comment

Originally posted by mAd_ScIeNtIsT:
              Frog/turtle/alligator - to the best of my knowledge, these are definately haraam because although the Quran says that we are allowed the fruits of the sea, frogs/turtles/alligators are not completely water-dwelling creatures- they can survive and live outside of water.

Tariq, I was asking the issue of being halal/haram not what maulana or how much corruption is in Pakistan.

Mad_scientist, what about crabs? do they not come on land and what about a special kind of fish that can actually walk on land during daytime and then go back to water. I don't have any reference but I did watch it on the television.

Also, is that not mentioned in Quran that everything from sea is halal??

Comment

I don't think everything from sea is halaal. I know for sure that Whale and Sharks are haraam (most of them are Warm Blooded).. also on other thing my information is same as mAd_ScIeNtIsT.. the following articles will help
                http://www.al-islam.org/laws/hunting.html
                http://www.playandlearn.org/Fiqh/219.htm

Also this is a very good site.. http://www.eat-halal.com

------------------
                A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
                There are only two forces in the world, the sword and the spirit. In the end the sword will always be conquered by the spirit. --Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Originally posted by khan_sahib:

Mad_scientist, what about crabs? do they not come on land and what about a special kind of fish that can actually walk on land during daytime and then go back to water. I don't have any reference but I did watch it on the television.

Also, is that not mentioned in Quran that everything from sea is halal??
                  Yeah, I used to eat crabs until last year and then someone told me that she thought crabs were haraam.... so I went and did some reasearch on the net and came to agree with the view that because crabs are not 100% "of the sea" they are probably not halaal. And I know there are some species of fish that can survive briefly out of water..... but when was the last time you saw someone eat one?
                  I'm not sure if you'll ever find a chef during your lifetime who cooks them thingies.

And you are right, the Quran does say that "the fruits of the sea" are allowed for us. To the best of my knowledge, according to Fiqh Shafie, Fiqh Maliki and Fiqh Hanbali this means that everything that spends its life in thh sea is allowed (though as Pureland says, I think that whales and sharks may not be allowed... I need to look this one up... hmmmmmm I've eaten shark fin in Pakistan )

However, Imam Hanafi believed that the Quranic directive was further qualified by a Hadith where only scaled fish were allowed. Hence he felt that "the fruits of the sea" referred only to scaled fish and not to other marine lifeforms such as prawns, squid etc.

I'm not sure of the opinion of Fiqh Jafria on the matter, but from the website references Pureland provided it appears to be in agreement with the Maliki, Shafie and Hanbali schools.

Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
                  Al-Ghazali

Comment

And you are right, the Quran does say that "the fruits of the sea" are allowed for us. To the best of my knowledge, according to Fiqh Shafie, Fiqh Maliki and Fiqh Hanbali this means that everything that spends its life in thh sea is allowed (though as Pureland says, I think that whales and sharks may not be allowed... I need to look this one up... hmmmmmm I've eaten shark fin in Pakistan <<<<<

MS, i will wait for the info on this topic coz I am confused as well. someone told me that turtle is poisonous and u can't eat it but he wasn't sure himself.

Comment

MS, there are many kinds of sharks, and some may be in halaal catagory. but still do your research

[This message has been edited by PureLand (edited May 31, 2001).]
                      There are only two forces in the world, the sword and the spirit. In the end the sword will always be conquered by the spirit. --Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Two things

1...You are what you eat.

2...As long as those animals are muslims eat them in the name of ALLAH, why discriminate agianst them as a different sect?

3...Even pig is Halal if eaten as medication or in need. (SAYAQOOL).

------------------
                        cogito ergo sum... "I think therefore I am..." & "I am therefore I think"

Comment

Originally posted by Philosopher:
                          Two things

1...You are what you eat.

2...As long as those animals are muslims eat them in the name of ALLAH, why discriminate agianst them as a different sect?

3...Even pig is Halal if eaten as medication or in need. (SAYAQOOL).

Okey Philosopher

------------------
                          A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Comment

Khan_Sahib:
                            as you wrote,"Tariq, I was asking the issue of being halal/haram not what maulana or how much corruption is in Pakistan."
                            I think you didn't get my point.which is and was,....as turtle eggs are Haram" and still those are being sold in Pakistan.Which is a muslim country,....A muslim knowingly selling Turtle eggs to other muslim is really strange....

When we talk about religion then the word mulla comes too...who make noises on everything,..but keep their mouth shut on these things,...

Well, may be I go into too much details...

°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`° ¤ø,¸°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ ºÂ°`°º¤ø,¸,¸¸,ø¤º °`°º¤ø,¸,¸¸,ø¤º° ºÂ¤Ã¸

A Faith that cannot survive collision with the truth is not worth many regrets.

Comment

[This message has been edited by SkyWalker (edited July 19, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                              X