Correct way of wudhu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct way of wudhu

This may not be the most interesting topic on this page, but I think it requires due diligence.

What is the correct way to perform wudhu ?

The qur'an states:

[al-Ma'idah 5:6.11] O you who believe! when you rise up to prayer, wash your faces and your hands as far as the elbows, and wipe your heads and your feet to the ankles; and if you are under an obligation to perform a total ablution, then wash (yourselves) and if you are sick or on a journey, or one of you come from the privy, or you have touched the women, and you cannot find water, betake yourselves to pure earth and wipe your faces and your hands therewith, Allah does not desire to put on you any difficulty, but He wishes to purify you and that He may complete His favor on you, so that you may be grateful.

There is a clear distinction between what is to be "washed" and "wiped".

Wash your hands and face.

Wipe your head and feet.

I have seen many brothers just washing / scrubbing their feet - just like they do their hands and faces.

How do you make wud'u ?

ws

It depends upon how you interpret Koran and which translation you follow. Read the translation below.

===========================================

YUSUFALI: O ye who believe! when ye prepare for prayer, wash your faces, and your hands (and arms) to the elbows; Rub your heads (with water); and (wash) your feet to the ankles. If ye are in a state of ceremonial impurity, bathe your whole body. But if ye are ill, or on a journey, or one of you cometh from offices of nature, or ye have been in contact with women, and ye find no water, then take for yourselves clean sand or earth, and rub therewith your faces and hands, Allah doth not wish to place you in a difficulty, but to make you clean, and to complete his favour to you, that ye may be grateful.
    ------------------------------------------

And believe me, start thinking that you are not always right about everything and that we are all humans and can sometime be wrong but won't admit it (I bet) because of our ego. This philosophy would make us humble than proud. Decide what you wannabe.

Comment

Dear brothers, if you look at the arabic of the Quran then you will find that Allah is ordering same for both head and feet i.e WIPE

The word WASH is in brackets i.e. Not in original text. Original text is only ordering the feet to be wiped.

"And those who oppress shall see what kind of outcome overturns them." [26:227] Al-Quran

Comment

Analyze it,

Its the arabic text that is clearly differentiating wipe from wash.

The translation I put is from Shakir, and is close to the actual arabic text.

ws

Comment

It's so strange. Most Sunnis that I have spoken with say that they follow the literal translation and meaning of the Holy Quran. Yet their transalators use those brackets which are referring to implied meanings in the Quran and not literal. Can some Sunni brother/sister explain if they follow a literal translation or a something more than that?

Comment

Well, one the bed-side of ailing Rasool, the 2nd khalifa said "Hisbana Kittaab-Allah", meaning "The book of Allah is enough for us".

I think he should instead have said "The book of Allah is enough for us, and the added bit by our mullas"
            "And those who oppress shall see what kind of outcome overturns them." [26:227] Al-Quran

Comment

Originally posted by a1shah:
              Analyze it,

ws
              ============================================

And that is my point. You see there are several translations of same verse so whatever you chose to follow is correct for you but not necessarily for everybody. I dont know arabic and dont know how much you know but one thing is sure; Yusuf Ali and Shakir both knew better arabic than any of us and they chose to translate what they felt is correct.
              Again it really does not matter what is the absolute correct way to do Wudu or to pray. Historically Prophet used different methods to perform Wudu and pray and every one may be correct.
              It is your faith(intention) which is the basis of your religion, not the way you perform Wudu or how you pray.
              I would stress again to think that you can be wrong sometime at least. It would make each one of us more humble than proud.
              If shia members want to use this post to do mud dragging or insulting Prophet's companions(as noted above), I have no business here.

Comment

Analyze it,

If you believe that the prophet (pbuh) had several ways of doing wudhu, what can I say. The qur'an explicitly states what should be done so it does not conform to logic that there would be variations.

Do the hadiths suggest that wudhu can be done in many ways ?

Did the prophet (pbuh) also have different variations of praying ?

And bro, not everything that is shia or asked by a shia has to be taboo.

ws

Comment

Originally posted by analyze it:

.......If shia members want to use this post to do mud dragging or insulting Prophet's companions(as noted above), I have no business here.
                  Sorry bro, those were not my words. That is what "sahi-sitta" report of 2nd Khalifa saying.
                  Bukhari insulted the 2nd khalifa. Not me.

Comment

Originally posted by analyze it:
                    Originally posted by a1shah:
                    Analyze it,
                    ws
                    Is wash and wipe same thing? Should we wipe our feet or wash our feet?

And that is my point. You see there are several translations of same verse so whatever you chose to follow is correct for you but not necessarily for everybody. I dont know arabic and dont know how much you know but one thing is sure; Yusuf Ali and Shakir both knew better arabic than any of us and they chose to translate what they felt is correct.
                    I think both of them has done great job. Wash and wipe seems very minor adjustment, Now… did they use different word wash/wipe because the Arabic word meaning in the verse was not very clear or …..?

Again it really does not matter what is the absolute correct way to do Wudu or to pray. Historically Prophet used different methods to perform Wudu and pray and every one may be correct.It is your faith(intention) which is the basis of your religion, not the way you perform Wudu or how you pray.
                    I agree. BTW, is it true that Prophet used diff. method to pray and perform wudu???

I would stress again to think that you can be wrong sometime at least. It would make each one of us more humble than proud.
                    If shia members want to use this post to do mud dragging or insulting Prophet's companions(as noted above), I have no business here.
                    We should discuss everything in our religion, even the sensitive thing. I believe maybe companion of the prophet has done their best for the Islamic community at that time and maybe they had their own faults. Its possible. Soo… why not we be mature and discuss things sensibly, after all I'm sure we want to follow the truth, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Pagluu:
                      Well, one the bed-side of ailing Rasool, the 2nd khalifa said "Hisbana Kittaab-Allah", meaning "The book of Allah is enough for us".
                      I think he should instead have said "The book of Allah is enough for us, and the added bit by our mullas"
                      Maybe the book of Allah is enough for us if we can interpret it correctly.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by babydoll:
                        Maybe the book of Allah is enough for us if we can interpret it correctly.
                        Interesting!
                        Whats the difference between you and Iblis then, who loved Allah so much that he refused to obey Allah-chosen khalifa, Hazrat Adam (as)?

Comment

wow. Only YOU guys can turn a post about Wudu into a Shia/Sunni debate. If you notice, then the 'sunnis' that you love to insult all the time don't start this nickpicking. You see, always being on the attack like this can be interpreted as a sign of desperation.. a lack of self-esteem if you will.

Inshallah I hope you guys learn that insulting Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) or his companions (which HE chose to have) is not gonna do you any favours on the day of judgement.

Comment

Al-Muwatta Hadith Hadith 2.1

How to do Wudu

Yahya related to me from Malik from Amr ibn Yahya al-Mazini that his father once asked Abdullah ibn Zayd ibn Asim, who was the grandfather of Amr ibn Yahya al-Mazini and one of the companions of the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, if he could show him how the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, did wudu. Abdullah ibn Zayd ibn Asim agreed to do so and asked for water to do wudu. He poured some out on to his hand and washed each hand twice and then rinsed his mouth and snuffed water up his nose and blew it out three times.Then he washed hisface three times and both of his arms up to the elbows twice. He then wiped his head with both hands, taking his hands from hisforehead to the nape of his neck and then bringing them back to where he had begun. Then he washed his feet.

Al-Muwatta Hadith Hadith 2.47

How to Wipe over Leather Socks

Yahya related to me that Malik had asked Ibn Shihab how to wipe over leather socks. Ibn Shihab had put one hand under the sock and his other hand above the sock and then passed them over it.

Yahya said that Malik said, "Out of all that I have heard about the matter I like what Ibn Shihab said the most."

Comment

Originally posted by Pagluu:
                              Interesting!
                              Whats the difference between you and Iblis then, who loved Allah so much that he refused to obey Allah-chosen khalifa, Hazrat Adam (as)?
                              This is very close to being an insult. How can you even try to compare a muslim with Iblis? Maybe a different tone of voice is required to address her.........

[This message has been edited by mAd_ScIeNtIsT (edited July 20, 2001).]
                              Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
                              Al-Ghazali

Comment

Working...
                              X