Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why aren't pictures allowed?

Why aren't pictures allowed in Islam?

I do know the consequences so what do you do if they aren't allowed?

Mind you that we need pictures for identification.

------------------
    Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

Love happens once . . .
    Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

I think camera pics are allowed. But those drawn by hand are not.
    Some scholars will disagree but I think this is the way it is....

Comment

Here are some opinions of mine.

In the ancient days pictures, handdrawn, were not allowed as they were worshipped. Just like ppl worshipped statues and similar.

Nowadays also some religions do practise this as they worship pictures of their ancestors or pictures of different gods.

In addition to that it vioalates the concept of purdah, especially for women. I reckon that this is the most valid reason for prohibiting pictures today. Whether it is drawn or taken by a camera.

However, pictures taken for idcards etc are allowed.

------------------
      ~Survival of the smartest~

Comment

I think there shouldnt be anything wrong with having pictures on any ID card(my view)

But this Hadith shows why Islam does not allow pictures.

A'isha reported that Gabriel (peace be upon him) made a promise with Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) to come at a definite hour; that hour came but he did not visit him. And there was in his hand (in the hand of Allah's Apostle) a staff. He threw it from his hand and said: Never has Allah or His messengers (angels) ever broken their promise. Then he cast a glance (and by chance) found a puppy under his cot and said: 'A'isha, when did this dog enter here? She said: BY Allah, I don't know He then commanded and it was turned out. Then Gabriel came and Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said to him: You promised me and I waited for you. but you did not come, whereupon he said: It was the dog in your house which prevented me (to come), for we (angels) do not enter a house in which there is a dog or a picture.
        (Sahih Muslim)

Comment

Here's what the issue is according to scholars.

First of all, any figure that has a full body (statues) are forbidden by all scholars, that includes cat figurs dog figures and so on. Scholar said: Excluding the Doll for the girl, cause it is good for her to learn.

Photographs (Pictures on paper) permitted by some scholars (can't remember whom and which maddhab of 4 schools, but can recall) but that is disliked. Thus, if there is a need for it, it's permissible. according to others it's forbidden. But one may use easier saying.

Islam is Simple.
          Ahmad G
          Islamic Studies Teacher/Student.

Comment

Note: Islam is not by opinion, our opinions are not capable of understanding the ultimate means of regulations and limits.
            Ahmad G
            Islamic Studies Teacher/Student.

Comment

How does a dog enter the house of a prophet?

Comment

The following is taken from 'The Lawful and The Prohibited in Islam' by Dr. Yusuf al-qaradawi. It makes a lot of sense keeping in mind that Islam is a very practical religion.

Photographs are not forbidden. Photographic pictures are basically permissible. They become haram only when the subject matter is haram, as, for example, in the case of idols, individuals who are revered either because of their religious or worldly status, especially the leaders of idolaters, Communists or other unbelievers, or immoral individuals such as actors and entertainers.

No Muslim would disagree concerning the prohibition of photographing subjects whose portrayal is against the beliefs, morals, and laws of Islam. Thus there cannot be any doubt concerning the prohibition of photographs, drawings, and paintings of nude or semi-nudes, of those parts of the male or female body which excite lust, or of pictures of men and women in sexy poses such as one sees in various magazines, newspapers, and on the billboards of movie "heaters. It is haram to make such pictures, to publish them, to buy them, to take them into homes, offices or shops, or to hang them on walls. It is haram to have the intention of looking at them.

Even those who are very strict in classifying all kinds of figures, including photographs, as detestable, exempt, according to necessity, pictures retained for identity cards, passports, keeping a record of suspects and criminals, pictures for instructional purposes, and so on, with the proviso that there is no intention of respect or sanctification of these pictures which would affect Islamic belief. The need for such pictures is definitely greater than the "prints" on cloth which were exempted by the Prophet (peace be on him).

Pictures of people or animals which are not given respect but are kept as a luxury and high living, as, for example, when they cover a wall or the like are not allowed.

Making and acquiring drawings or paintings of trees, lakes, ships, mountains, and landscapes of this sort is permitted. However, if they distract from worship or lead toward extravagant living, they are disapproved.

Pictures on mugs etc. are not haram at all as long as your intention is not to be showy. Also visit

http://www.qaradawi.net/english/books/

Comment

I really like the explanation given by Ahmad G and the Article by Qaradawi posted by Ibrahim. It explains everything so well.

Comment

So what do you say about the pics of Ulimas,Pirs and Molvis in the News Papers(don't know wbout other countries but its very common in UK)

Pictures allowed or not allowed is debate able
                    but the best practice is to keep away from them as its safe.
                    Especially our Ulimas should keep away from these at least.
                    What other brothers think?

Comment

Originally posted by babydoll:
                      How does a dog enter the house of a prophet?
                      Please, stick to the topic, discuss it in another thread. Thank you.

------------------
                      We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

It depends on your level of 'taqwa'. If you want to raise it, avoid all HARAAM and 'doubtfuls'.

------------------
                        We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

Working...
                        X