• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crabs ...? Halal or not ?

Guys

You got to help me out here ..

A friend asked me this question ,
    and we have been discussing it for ages .

Is it Halal ?
    Mukhroo or wot ?

please help

Abdul#

mail me if necessary

[email protected]

------------------
    a sallam

sallama...<<Is it Halal ?
    Mukhroo or wot ?>>

Well it is certainly NOT HARAAM. As what is Haraam is clearly mentioned in Qura~n.

Comment

Originally posted by zawiyaefikr:
      sallama...<<Is it Halal ?
      Mukhroo or wot ?>>

Well it is certainly NOT HARAAM. As what is Haraam is clearly mentioned in Qura~n.

I used to think like this as well, but then I read a persuasive line of argument against this. What the Quran permits as edible are the fruits of the sea, i.e. sea-dwelling creatures.

But crabs are not purely sea-dwelling creatures; they survive for extended periods of time outside water too.
      Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
      Al-Ghazali

Comment

and wat kind of argument is that ??

that would mean the chickens are haram too cause they live off land too ??

------------------
        To do in life is to appreciate it. To live life is to lose it. I dont know what I am saying so I will stop saying it.

Comment

maybe this will help clarify or confuse you even more.
          http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/Forum13/HTML/002966.html
          Got Gup?

Comment

What about PRAWN (shrimp) ???

Crabs do live out of water at times, I don't think prawns go out of water anytime. From my sources of knowledge (which is mostly Hanafi fiqh) it is "makrooh".

Any information.

------------------
            We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

My understanding is that things from the sea are hallal only if they have thick covering shell.

I read somewhere that outer covering shells protects the meat inside from mercury and other type of sea pollutant.

Personally I don't find shrimps and crab tasty

Comment

Originally posted by PureLand:
                I don't think everything from sea is halaal. I know for sure that Whale and Sharks are haraam (most of them are Warm Blooded).. also on other thing my information is same as mAd_ScIeNtIsT.. the following articles will help
                http://www.al-islam.org/laws/hunting.html
                http://www.playandlearn.org/Fiqh/219.htm

Also this is a very good site.. http://www.eat-halal.com

Assalam u Alaikum warahmatallahi wabarakatuhu ye all....

allright..first of all lets see what the quraan says about fish...
                its stated in Al-maeda(The table):

05:96"To hunt and to eat the fish of the sea is made lawful for you, a provision for you and for seafarers; but to hunt on land is forbidden you so long as ye are on the pilgrimage. Be mindful of your duty to Allah, unto Whom ye will be gathered."

And in the book of Hadiths is narrated by Ahmed in his book of traditions of the Prophet,

The dead fish of water is also lawful as the the Prophet Muhammad s.a.w has said, "The water of sea is clean and its dead fish is lawful."

So the question is what waterish creature comes under the category of 'Fish'?

but its an interesting link, pureland has pasted in here www.playandlearn.com eh. neat name *ahem* anyways,,,

its mentioned over there that:
                *Sea creatures*
                We are allowed to eat any fish as long as it has scales. All other sea creatures such as whales, sharks, turtles, lobsters and crabs are Haraam. The only exception is for prawns and shrimps, which can be eaten.

In order for the fish to be Halaal, it must be removed alive from the water. It does not matter who has done the fishing or what method has been used to catch the fish.

i think its fair to ask for some more daleel/proof, that on what basis have that website given this piece of info. Is it a fatwa/ruling by some scholar or is there any narrated hadith or verse of Quraan supporting it ?

im kinda sceptical about whale & sharks too.. since they eat humans too. dono about crabs though...ewww. i havent had one...so...anyways but its a go go for shrimps *yummy*

wa alaikum salamz
                skywalker

------------------
                Live Like (Mohammad & Ali) And Die Like Hussain.

Comment

geeeez....subhan'Allah..so much for a fish eh...
                  a mosquito/machar was just nagging behind my ears...i tackled it to come infront of me..i managed to slap it and now it landed somwhere in between the keys of my keyboard.... i think its either between K & L or : & -
                  anyways...im gonna get it....!!!!!!

wa alaikum salamz

------------------
                  Live Like (Mohammad & Ali) And Die Like Hussain.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyWalker:
                    geeeez....subhan'Allah..so much for a fish eh...
                    a mosquito/machar was just nagging behind my ears...i tackled it to come infront of me..i managed to slap it and now it landed somwhere in between the keys of my keyboard.... i think its either between K & L or : & -
                    anyways...im gonna get it....!!!!!!

wa alaikum salamz

FYI:
                    geeez, or jeeeez is a term used mainly be Christian to call 'Jesus Christ' when surprised, in trouble, pain etc as we call Allah, mashaAllah, subhanAllah etc.

u already have used 'subhanAllah', just a request as Muslim, don't use the word 'jeeez' or 'geeeez' for that matter

------------------
                    We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

Originally posted by AekKella:
                      and wat kind of argument is that ??

that would mean the chickens are haram too cause they live off land too ??

Umm no, I was merely referring to creatures that can be found in the sea.
                      Lately I haven't seen any chicken's in the ocean

Seriously though, what I meant was that crabs are found in the sea but are also capable of surviving for extended periods on land. This can be contrasted with other creatures such as prawns, which survive only in water and, depending on the fiqh you follow, are either considerd halaal or at most makrooh.

I used to enjoy crab, but gave up last year after doing some research on whether or not they are halaal.
                      Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
                      Al-Ghazali

Comment

mr mad
                        I've heard so too, that animals that live in the water, but can survive on land are haraam/makrooh. However, I couldn't verify this. You mention it is mentioned in the Holy Quran, do you have the surah and the verse?

Comment

Hmm I couldn't find the exact reference I wanted, but here's what I dug up

Quraan [5:96] Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water­game and its use for food - for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel, but forbidden is (the pursuit of) land­game as long as you are in a state of Ihrâm (for Hajj or 'Umrah). And fear Allâh to Whom you shall be gathered back.

Quraan [16:14] And He it is Who has subjected the sea (to you), that you eat thereof fresh tender meat, and that you bring forth out of it ornaments to wear. And you see the ships ploughing through it, that you may seek (thus) of His Bounty (by transporting the goods from place to place) and that you may be grateful.

What these verses make clear is that things found in the sea are halaal. However, many scholars point out that crabs, having some amphibious capacity, are not always found in the sea and hence do not qualify. Scholars also, I believe, mention a number of other limitations i.e. shaks being haraam, though I believe these rulings are derived from the Hadith.

Incidentally, the scholar who I generally follow states that crabs are halaal; however, I disagree with him in this respect.
                          Al-Ghazali

Comment

Working...
                          X