Praying Isha straight after Maghrib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Praying Isha straight after Maghrib

At university, the mosque near my house will pray Isha, straight after Maghrib. They argue that this is because it is stated that in some geographical locations, during a prescribed period of the year (roughly may-september) the exact time of Isha is not specified and that it may be read at any time between Maghrib and Fajr. Hence, they read it straight after the Maghrib salaat is performed.

I am told that this understanding comes from an Hadith, although it is not a very reliable ruling.

I had never heard of such a practise before, and if anyone can advise I'd be most grateful - could anyone replying please list their sources.

Jazak Allah.

In my humble opinion, thats wrong.

The only instance where I've heard of joining prayers, is for travelers, ie. praying zuhr & asr together, and maghrib & isha together, but thats for those who follow Imam Shafi *i think*. I know that joining prayers is discouraged for followers of Hanafi.

Comment

Yes GFQ, according to Hanafi you CANNOT combine the prayers at any time, not even if you're traveling. All other mazhab say its okay(as far as what i know).

[This message has been edited by babydoll (edited July 10, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by babydoll:
        Yes GFQ, according to Hanafi you CANNOT combine the prayers at any time, not even if you're traveling. All other mazhab say its okay(as far as what i know).

[This message has been edited by babydoll (edited July 10, 2001).]
        To my knowledge, in Hanafi madhab, you can combin Dohr with Asr, Maghreb and Isha can be prayed in a time middle of both. Hanafi madhab takes 'stricter' way. I think Hanafi madhab asks for more taqwa (taqwa = 'parhez', avoiding bad as well as ambigious).

wallahu aalam.

------------------
        We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

can u guys tell me how do ppl pray while they perform Hajj? why do they combine prayers then?

Comment

Originally posted by Sheraz CT:
            can u guys tell me how do ppl pray while they perform Hajj? why do they combine prayers then?
            excatly my point? can anyone answer this?

Comment

I have heard of an opinion where on certain days of the year there is no Isha because the conditions for Isha are not met i.e. it's Maghrib time all night long. In UK on certain days there is no Isha.

According to the Hanifi madhab we pray with the nearest Islamic country so in UK we pray with Morocco. Even though the conditions for Isha have not been met we still pray Isha.

In the arctic and antarctic they would pray fajr and then a couple of months later Zuhr etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Farhina:
                excatly my point? can anyone answer this?
                During Hajj, they don't combine all the prayers to be prayed at one time. I think every 'fiqh/madhab' follower combines as prescribed in his/her 'fiqh/madhab'.

I personally combine dohr/asr at my convenience (whenever I have to travel) because Prophet PBUH wanted to actually show that religion has some flexibility. Maghreb/Isha at maghreb time or Ishaa time.

I don't know how many Muslims live in place pointed out by Scarface. Such Muslims should take 'fatwa' from a scholar.

------------------
                We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

I have heard of an opinion where on certain days of the year there is no Isha because the conditions for Isha are not met i.e. it's Maghrib time all night long. In UK on certain days there is no Isha.
                  Thats wrong.
                  You must perform all of your prayers, no matter where you live. Geography is no excuse. In such cases, ie. living at the extremes of the northern and southern hemispheres, what is usually recommended is that the person use the timings ie.for sunrise,sunset, etc. of the city/town/community nearest to you, that does experience the setting and rising of the sun.

Comment

Prayers can be combined at anytime, without having to be on a journey.

The holy prophet (pbuh) prayed combined salat in such a manner.

You do not have to combine but you can - travelling is not a requirement.

Comment

The qur'an specifies 3 distinct times of prayer:

[bani Isra'il 17:78] Establish worship at the going down of the sun until the dark of night, and (the recital of) the Qur'an at dawn. Lo! (the recital of) the Qur'an at dawn is ever witnessed.

1) Going down of the sun
                      2) Darkness of the night
                      3) Dawn

Also, authentic hadiths show that the prophet (pbuh) used to pray combined prayers without being in a state of fear or travel:

"The Prophet (PBUH&HF) prayed in Madina, while residing there, NOT TRAVELING, seven and eight (this is an indication to the seven
                      Raka't of Maghrib and Isha combined, and the eight Raka't of Zuhr and `Asr combined).

"Musnad al-Imam Ibn Hanbal, vol. 1, page 221.

Also, in the Muwatta' of Malik (Imam of Maliki sect), vol. 1, page 161, Ibn
                      Abbas says:

"The Prophet (PBUH&HF) prayed Zuhr and `Asr in combination and Maghrib and Isha in combination WITHOUT a reason for fear or travel."

Please check out your sources.

ws

Comment

Fiqh-us-Sunnah
                        Fiqh 2.115c

Combining the salah during traveling

Most of the people of knowledge are of the opinion that it is permissible to combine two prayers during the time of either one of them while traveling, regardless of whether the person is actually on the road or has stopped at a place for some time.

Mu'adh reports that while the Prophet was at Tabuk and the sun had passed the meridian, the Prophet sallallahu alehi wasallam combined the zuhr and 'asr prayers before he started his journey. If he started his journey before the sun passed its meridian, he would delay the zuhr prayer until the time when he stoppped for the 'asr prayer. He would do likewise for the maghrib prayer. If the sun set before he began his journey, he would combine the maghrib and 'isha prayers [at that time]. If he began a journey before the sun had set, he would then combine them at the time of 'isha. This is related by Abu Dawud and at-Tirmidhi who call it hasan.

Kuraib reported that Ibn 'Abbas said: "Shall I not inform you of the salah of the Prophet sallallahu alehi wasallam during a journey?" We said: "Certainly." He said: "If the sun passed its meridian while he stopped, he would combine the zuhr and 'asr prayers before remounting [i.e., moving on]. If the sun had not passed its meridian while he had stopped [i.e., before breaking camp], he would travel until the time of the 'asr prayer and then he would combine the zuhr and 'asr prayers. If the sun set while he had stopped, he would combine the magrib and 'isha prayers. If that did not occur while he had stopped, he would ride until the 'isha time and then combine them." This is related by Ahmad.

Ash-Shaf'i has something similar in his Musnad, namely that when he [the Prophet] set out to travel before the sun passed its meridian, he delayed the zuhr prayer and combine it with the 'asr during the time of the 'asr salah. Al-Baihaqi recorded it with a good chain and he says: "To combine the two prayers due to traveling is something that is well-known and was practiced by the companions of the Prophet sallallahu alehi wasallam and those who followed them."

Imam Malik records in al-Muwatta' from Mu'adh that the Prophet sallallahu alehi wasallam delayed his salah one day during the battle of Tabuk and then went and prayed the zuhr and 'asr prayers together. Then he returned and went back again and said the maghrib and 'isha prayers together.

Commenting on this report, ash-Shaf'i says: "His statement, 'then he returned and left again,' only refers to a situation where the Prophet was staying in a certain place [i.e., he was not traveling from one site to another] . "

Ibn Qudamah mentions the preceding hadith and writes in al-Mughni: "Ibn 'Abdul-Barr said: 'That hadith is sahih and its chain is confirmed. The people who are familiar with the life history of the Prophet say that the battle of Tabuk took place in the ninth year of the hijrah. This hadith is a clear proof and the strongest evidence against those who claim that one can only combine the prayers while one is actually moving from one site to another as the Prophet was settled and was not traveling since the Prophet was staying in his tent and would come out and combine two prayers and then return to his tent. Muslim recorded this hadith in his Sahih and stated: 'He would pray the zuhr and 'asr together and the maghrib and 'isha together. One must follow this hadith as it is confirmed [to be authentic] and it is a clear statement on this rule and there is nothing which contradicts it. The permission to combine the salah is a concession for anyone who is traveling but it is by no means confined to just those times when the person is actually on the road [i.e., traveling from one place to another]. The same is the case for shortening the salah and for wiping over the socks, but it is best to delay it.'"

Having the intention to combine is not a condition for combining or shortening the salah. Ibn Taimiyyah holds: "That is the position of the majority of the scholars. When the Prophet combined the salah with his companions or shortened the salah with them, he never ordered any of them to make the intention for combining or shortening the salah. In fact, when he left Medinah for Makkah, he prayed two rak'at without combining the salah, and then he prayed the zuhr prayer at 'Arafa without telling the people that he intended to pray the 'asr right afterward, next he prayed the 'asr with them and they did not have the intention to combine their prayers, and in that combination he prayed the latter salah early. When he went from Medinah, he led the people in the 'asr salah at Dhul-Halifah and he did not order them to make the intention to shorten the salah."

Concerning offering the two combined prayers right after each other, Ibn Taimiyyah writes: "The correct opinion is that it is not a necessary condition to do so under any circumstances, neither during the time of the first salah nor during the time of the latter salah. There is no such limit in the shari'ah and doing so would defeat the purpose of the concession [i.e., permission to combine the two salah]." Ash-Shaf'i says: "It is quite permissible for a person to pray the maghrib in his house with the intention of combining the prayers and then go to the mosque to pray the 'isha." A similar statement has been related from Ahmad.

Comment

Girl from Quraysh,

I follow the hanafi opinion that we must pray with the nearest community of Muslims. But in UK in the summer on some days the conditions for Isha are not met. So in UK we pray with Morocco.

On what basis is it wrong?
                          It is a valid opinion held by many scholars.

Their opinion is if the condition for the prayer is not met then it is not time for the prayer.

Comment

Scarface

I suggest you reread my reply. I didn't state that that was wrong. I said that it was wrong to say that there is 'no Isha', I may have been mistaken, but your lines which I quoted seemed to imply that there being no isha timings that there was no isha salaat to be observed.

Comment

How about wud'u ? What is the correct way to perform it ?

The qur'an states:

[al-Ma'idah 5:6.11] O you who believe! when you rise up to prayer, wash your faces and your hands as far as the elbows, and wipe your heads and your feet to the ankles; and if you are under an obligation to perform a total ablution, then wash (yourselves) and if you are sick or on a journey, or one of you come from the privy, or you have touched the women, and you cannot find water, betake yourselves to pure earth and wipe your faces and your hands therewith, Allah does not desire to put on you any difficulty, but He wishes to purify you and that He may complete His favor on you, so that you may be grateful.

Notice the words "wash" and "wipe".

Wash your hands and face.

Wipe your head and feet.

I have seen many brothers just washing / scrubbing their feet - just like they do their hands and faces.

How do you make wud'u ?

Comment

Working...
                              X