Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Halal meet ? To eat or not to eat is the question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Halal meet ? To eat or not to eat is the question!

I live in NorthAmerica and Halal meet is available easily in the city I live in. The question is this people specially pakistanis insists on eating only halal meet. most dont eat from mcdonald and other stores.

Where does it say in the quran that meat in mcdonald and places like that is not halal and as such we can'nt eat it ?

should'nt just saying bismiallah before eating these foods suffice to make the meat halal ??

------------------
    To do in life is to appreciate it. To live life is to lose it. I dont know what I am saying so I will stop saying it.

Hey Kella...

Pls use the search feature by clicking on the search button way over there ^ near the top of the screen (no, not there.. look at the link on the most right side!). This has been discussed many many times. You will find lots of useful information.

Good luck!

ps. I suppose you want to know about "meat" and not "meet".

Comment

I suppose ur right !

------------------
      To do in life is to appreciate it. To live life is to lose it. I dont know what I am saying so I will stop saying it.

Comment

>>>should'nt just saying bismiallah before eating these foods suffice to make the meat halal ??<<<

This reminds me of something that happened a few years ago. An acquaintance of ours, went to eat out somewhere at a fastfood restaurant, his companion ordered a burger, he exclaimed that the meat they used was not halal and he shouldn't eat it. His companion said no no it was alright, he'd say bismillah and then it would be okay for him to eat.

A few weeks later, these two guys were together again with a group of people, they were getting ready to pray. The 'companion' asked them to wait a few minutes because he needed to make wudhu. The guy replied, 'Oh no its alright, pray now and u can make wudhu after'. His companion looked at him wondering what he was saying, and asked how he could say such a thing. He replied saying that if his meat becomes halaal by saying bismillah after its been slaughtered,cooked etc., his prayers should be accepted if he made his wudhu immediately after.

Comment

Yikes! Just a postscript, what the guy said in the last few lines, is not correct. He was being sarcastic.

Just thought i'd clarify, I don't want to mislead anyone

Comment

Sorry, but the simple answer is "No". Meat cannot become halal in this way at "Mcdoanalds" or elsewhere.

When "halal" meat is available a Muslim shouldn't eat any such thing which is doubtful.

Now its your choice what to eat.

Comment

AekKella, i hope you dont believe you can say bismillah after the animal has already been killed. the whole concept of halal meat is for us to eat meat where the blood has been drained out completely, and the animal is killed in the most humane way. you must mention allahs name. to say bismillah when eating a burger is to defy the concept of halal slaughter. if halal meat is available in the country then eat that only, dont let your desires lead you astray.
              Do as allah and his prophets have taught and ask the people of knowledge for information if in doubt.

Comment

Ok explain this to me then !

what makes a meat halal ? wats the defination of halal meat and why is mcdonalds meat not halal ? please provide references to the quran

Another intresting thing is where does it say exactly that all the blood should be taken out in the specific manner meaning zeba.??

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by AekKella:
                  I live in NorthAmerica and Halal meet is available easily in the city I live in. The question is this people specially pakistanis insists on eating only halal meet. most dont eat from mcdonald and other stores.

Where does it say in the quran that meat in mcdonald and places like that is not halal and as such we can'nt eat it ?

should'nt just saying bismiallah before eating these foods suffice to make the meat halal ??

Looking at the theory... if i kill u or someone or commit a sin after saying bismillah will my act me halaal.. I don't think so. as far as i know halaal meat is obtained from the halaal animal and is slaugtered in the name of God and from the throat in a islamic way. Allah knows the best and I am sure there is a reason in each of his prescribed act.

[This message has been edited by Insaniyat (edited July 11, 2001).]

Comment

like said then tell me where does it say in the quran to kill the animal in this specific way ... and that only then the meat is halal?

------------------

Comment

I am still waiting people ?? any insight into this topic ?

------------------

Comment

Did u already check out all the prior discussion we had on this topic, like I suggested?

Comment

Aekella..<<I am still waiting people ?? any insight into this topic ?>>

Islam is not a fast food guide, which would rate/recommend Mcdonald or Burger King or flafels places. It encourages you to eat meat which is not of a haram animal, like pork and others. Then it encourages you to kill the permitted animal in Islamic manner, that is to pronounce the name of Allah, on while killing it. Here is aya

"So eat of that (meat) on which Allh's Name has been pronounced (while slaughtering the animal), if you are believers in His Ayt (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.)"
                          Al Inam-118

Many would tell you that if the name of 'AnyOne' (?) is not mentioned in any animal, it is ok to eat it. This is contrary to Qura~nic teachings as the next aya reveals:

"Eat not (O believers) of that (meat) on which Allh's Name has not been pronounced (at the time of the slaughtering of the animal), for sure it is Fisq (a sin and disobedience of Allh).
                          Al-Inam 121

So Allah's name must be mentioned on the animal which is being killed for eating.

Your next worry is the manner in which an animal is killed. For this also, it is recommended that the animal should be killed with sharp knife/object by cutting throat, like jugular vain, thus draining all the blood as eating of flowing blood is haram too. Here is the aya forbiding blood:

"He has forbidden you only the Maytatah (dead animals), and blood, and the flesh of swine, and that which is slaughtered as a scrifice for others than Allh (or has been slaughtered for idols, etc., on which Allh's Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering)."
                          A-Baqra 173

As regard to the mention of Bismillah before eating it and not before killing it, is concerned, it is very simple, as the aya above, suggest that the name of Allah must be mentioned BEFORE EATING, and not necessarily BEFORE KILLING. So the story mentioned by someone over waddu etc... sure is very funny and I must say that this is how the additions keep coming into the Islam and people start following someone'e interpretation, instead of what is actualy prescribed.

As a matter of fact Prophet Mohammad, pbuh, when asked if one could eat meat of the animal which is killed by NON MUSLIMS, (mind you, this may include kaafirs and other non believers too-which would definately exclude Christians and Jews). He replied, "Mention the name of Allah and eat it." (Trans)

When all is said and done, I would also like to mention another importan aspect of eating and that is wholesome and hygein. If a Muslim who sells Islamicaly halal meat in a sub standard manner, like most of the Indian Paki stores in USA, I would rather buy meat from American Supermarket and pronounce Allah's name on it and eat.

Wasalaam

Comment

005.004 Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked the name of other than Allah; that which hath been killed by strangling, or by a violent blow, or by a headlong fall, or by being gored to death; that which hath been (partly) eaten by a wild animal; unless ye are able to slaughter it (in due form); that which is sacrificed on stone (altars); (forbidden) also is the division (of meat) by raffling with arrows: that is impiety. This day have those who reject faith given up all hope of your religion: yet fear them not but fear Me. This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion. But if any is forced by hunger, with no inclination to transgression, Allah is indeed Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.

005.005 They ask thee what is lawful to them (as food). Say: lawful unto you are (all) things good and pure: and what ye have taught your trained hunting animals (to catch) in the manner directed to you by Allah: eat what they catch for you, but pronounce the name of Allah over it: and fear Allah; for Allah is swift in taking account.

005.006 This day are (all) things good and pure made lawful unto you. The food of the People of the Book is lawful unto you and yours is lawful unto them. (Lawful unto you in marriage) are (not only) chaste women who are believers, but chaste women among the People of the Book, revealed before your time,- when ye give them their due dowers, and desire chastity, not lewdness, nor secret intrigues if any one rejects faith, fruitless is his work, and in the Hereafter he will be in the ranks of those who have lost (all spiritual good).

I hope the above ayats help as they are self explanatory.

Comment

Now if you are totally confused about this whole issue... let me help you.

Majority of muslims scholars' opinion is that its haraam to eat beef/mutton/chicken meat where Allah's name is not pronounced while slaughtering.

A minority view, followed by Shafai'i muslims, consider such meat as makrooh but not haraam, based on the hadith which is quoted above. You still take Allah's name before eating it.

Comment

Working...
                              X