Hunting Bin Laden- America v.s Islam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Bin Laden- America v.s Islam?

A very interesting debate, thought you guys might want to read it.
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...arlington.html

quotes from above site:

Your Muslim community has been drawn into this through one member who is currently incarcerated in New York. What kind of impact has this had directly? Is there a climate of fear here in Arlington?

Khalid Y. Hamideh:

... If you start with the premise that this person was--you use any term you want, fundamentalist, fanatic, Muslim, if you start with that premise and he is from Arlington, and you paint with the broad brush that goes on to show there's others like him, or the people that pray the same messages as he that are like him, or people that attended the same prayer activities are just like him, or people that went to school with his children are like him, people that worked or congregated with him are like him. If you start with those premises, then you end up with the logical conclusion that everybody in Arlington is fanatics. Unfortunately, as stupid and as naive as that sounds, there are people out there that believe that and so, there has to be a climate of fear here in Arlington, because there has been irresponsible reporting by the media. There is this negative stereotyping and there is the perpetuation of this myth that Islam cannot coexist with the western values and the family values and the social structure and everything else. Because of those things, there is fear. There has to be fear. ...

It's understood that all of you are opposed to the violence that took place and condemn it. But when we were talking with people in the Muslim communities, particularly in Africa and also in New York, they said we condemn the violence - but when I asked them about what might be the motivation for it, there was some sympathy for the motivation, that the Muslims have been put down, that the United States has joined their enemies...

H. Ibrahim Salih, Ph.D.:

I think you have to say, what are the symptoms of terrorism? I don't know if you ever went to the refugee camps in Lebanon ... . I don't know if you had gone to refugee camps in Jerusalem and I don't know if you have gone to refugee camps in Jordan. But these people are hopeless. They have no future, they have hunger and they are helpless. They need education, they need clothing, they need food, they need medicine and they want to attract attention to their cause and sometimes they do it in a way that we don't approve of. Resorting to terrorism may be justifiable for them because they have to hurt you because they are being hurt and you're not paying attention. Not that I sympathize with it, but I met these people. If you were in the same condition, in the same predicament of having no future, nobody caring for you-what is the alternative? What do you expect them to do? Will they act the way we expect them? If you treat an animal cruelly, the animal is going to react to you cruelly. If you behave in a cruel way towards a human, that human is going to turn into an animal. ...

Khalid Y. Hamideh:

But don't confuse the issue with the word terrorism. The word Islam or Muslims should not be used in the same sentence as terrorism. We don't condone it, we don't allow it, we don't preach it. But George Washington and Nelson Mandela were accused of being terrorists. They are two great freedom fighters to others, to most. It's all a matter of perspective. The refugee camps the professor was talking about are the people that I've talked to and I've seen the way they live. And the people that you're talking about are people that sympathize with their plight because we, as Americans, don't have clean hands when it comes to foreign policy. Some of the decisions we've made have adversely affected others around the globe. People that live in refugee camps, whether in Lebanon, Jordan or Syria that are Palestinian, don't have this great affection for us as Americans and the reason they don't is they see the billions of dollars of my tax dollars and your tax dollars going to support the state that keeps them in this current state that they're in. So, make no mistake about it. There are people that sympathize with those things, but Islam and terrorism should not be used in the same sentence and there's nothing in Islam that allows terrorism to be sympathetic to its cause.

H. Ibrahim Salih, Ph.D.:

But isn't it also true that each state's national interest is the determining factor as to who is a freedom fighter and who is a terrorist? Afghan mujahedeen were freedom fighters. Contras against the Sandinistas were freedom fighters. PLO are terrorists ... . If it doesn't suit our national interest, they're definitely terrorists. But if it suits our national interest, they're freedom fighters. ...

[This message has been edited by Yemeen (edited July 13, 2001).]

I think that we would have never heard of bin ladin if it wasn't for the American media. I think that bin ladin has been made into a hero by the American media so that if he comes into power all Muslims will support him.

I agree that everything has to do with national interest and not morality or any other value.

Comment

Working...
    X