Dress Code in Islamic Saudi Arabia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dress Code in Islamic Saudi Arabia

It is my understanding that foreign males (excluding those of Arab Ancestry) are forbidden to wear a Gutra (the Checkered Cloth and the Ring that covers head as part of the dress), but can wear an Agama (long maxi like dress). I was told this at a meeting that I had had with my Saudi Counterparts some years ago. Part of my work involved doing field studies and interviewing local landowners and I was briefed about the dress code.

Can someone who knows Saudi (and Islamic Laws) tell me if that ban is still practiced? Is there anything in Shariah Law to back this?

I lived in Saudi Arabia for over 15 years - during my time there, I was never aware of such ban, at any time.

Comment

It tells you how much people know about Saudi Laws even while living there. Did you ever wear a Gutra in public? or tried entering a place where a Guard was present (e.g., at the Airport landing, etc.)? Also, the other thing that was forbidden was the Camouflage dress. I dont know if that still is the case.

Comment

NYahamadi,

Why are you trying to mislead people about SaudiArabia, this is your 2nd post today on Saudi Arabia that does not make any sense, As I told you before talk facts not some thing you heard. I lived there for 20 years as I told you before. I wore all the Saudi clothes during Ramada, eid and other occasions like Saudi weddings and parties no one ever objected. This is the first time I have heard of such a ban. I guess NYA get your facts straight. I suggest if you want to bash Saudi Arabia you can do so but donít mislead ppl.

Aish hadh ya akhii, wallahi hada haram alikh

Comment

Dont knwo about the camoflauge thing, but there is no ban on the wearing of a 'Gutra' on anyone. I had family members wear it in saudi arabia, and i know people who wear it even as of now. And I have seen people go to masjid al haram wearing these. So there is no prohibition on its use.

It could be that it was the custom of some local area that u visited, but as a whole, saudi arabia does not have this law. And even if they do, they certainly dont impose it.

Comment

Yes, I misstated, Gutra is not banned, but the Ring to be placed on top of Gutra is not allowed, unless one is Arab. Since, I worked on a Government sanctioned project; I was briefed along with a number of my colleagues about such a restriction. One reason that was given to us was that ďyou might be mistaken as a SaudiĒ (which I donít know what the big deal will be). However, I must say that all these draconian laws of Saudi Arabia are to keep the population suppressed and under the dictatorial hold of the Shiekhs. Even the clergy there is very outspoken of the lifestyles of the Princes and of the Royals and of the Upper crest, etc. I must also tell you that contrary to popular belief, some of the best and most humble people that I had the opportunity to interview were people of the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia (particularly, Qatif, and Al-Ahsa) and I am sure that most Saudis are decent human beings. It is only the selected rich and upper class (Vegas type) that are responsible of creating such a bad impression of Saudis.

Ya Akh Tazz. Ana kalam shoyee Arabi.

Comment

NYA the ring too I wore it with other Pakistanis to a lot of government places, I think some one scared you. Where you working for an American company. They usually over state things.

Comment

I has nothing to do with misleading anybody.......

wearing the gutra (the camel wool made rope "double zero")over the white or red/white Checkered Cloth is a total nomad arab tradition, while you can waer the checkered cloth on your head but for non arabs to waer gutra on top is not appriciated, nor-recomended. Although its not forbiden by law, but you will never and I mean Never see a non arab wearing a full traditional dress with checkered cloth and a Gutra in public.

In Saudia/Kuwait/Behrain and Qatar they are strict about it, wear the red/white and white cloth with Gutra to thier coffe bars and you will be kicked out. Non-arabs can wear the "thoub"(long Dress) or "DishDasha" but not the whole thing. On the other hand if you wear the balck/white checkered cloth with a gutra over a western cloth (pants and a jacket)they will let you in but will not talk to you, since they might think of you as a Syrian/Jordanian or worse even Iraqi.

As far the Camouflage dress goes, its forbiden by law in Kuwait. You can not waer that in public, they are so strict about it that they use to arrest palestinins even if they were just wearing camouflage shirts in late 80'early. I had few Pakistanis arrested for wearing thoses Comonado Jackets (very popular in early 90's)in Kuwait.

more ...later
                بِن دانا پانی میں جی لواں
                بِن انَک میں جی نہ سکاں

Comment

What is this 'camouflage dress'? Can anyone post a pic?

Comment

I have lived in Saudi Arabia for 10 years, I didn't come across any such law, if you live somewhere that long you'll definitely come across such laws.

People who are defending Saudi Arabia, there is no reason to defend them, they are not "ISLAMIC GOVERNMENT" anyway. The only thing to be defended is Makka, Medina. Yes, they are doing nice job of keeping those places as sacred, safe and well developed, we should be thankful to them (after Allah).

Saudi government is oppressive, Saudi people are prejudiced, discriminatory etc. so what? where does it not happen in the world?

------------------
                    We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

[This message has been edited by Changez_like (edited July 10, 2001).]

Comment

NY guy...u are so confused bout arabia did u really ever live there.... cuz ure other post and this post.... goin by em....dont look like it...
                      my dad has always worn the thobe and the gutra .....WITH THE MIGHTY RING......AT THE AIRPORT...IN FRONT OF EM MIGHTY OFFICERS..... no one came forward to say.."aish haza..laish intha labbis higaal" just incase u dont knwo what a higaal is....its the mighty "ring" (as u put it ) worn on a gutra.....
                      GET URE FACTS STRAIGHT MAJNOON! (arabic for pagal)

------------------
                      life will continue to be a *****....SO BITE BACK!!!
                      standing alone on a street of broken dreams

Comment

Originally posted by NYAhmadi:
                        Ya Akh Tazz. Ana kalam shoyee Arabi. [/B]

p;s) oooo..u been dissin ppl bout livin in arabia and not knowing the laws.....what bout u living there and not understanding arabic
                        as i say..inta majnoon
                        move on from "trying" to diss arabia....to some other country...that u ACTUALLY know bout (laws..culture...yada yada)

------------------
                        life will continue to be a *****....SO BITE BACK!!!
                        standing alone on a street of broken dreams

Comment

Khwateen, inta mukh mafee. Did you read what Minime wrote? There might not be a written rule (which there isnít any in Saudi Arabia), but this practice is practiced pretty stringently. If you ever lived there, you should know how men and women donít get mixed in Souks, and other stupid laws of that stinking place. I bet you drove there 200 miles an hour too.

Comment

NYA,

I am not defending Saudi Arabia discrimination is every where and to pick one culture and depict it as the worst will be unjust. Let me give you a simple example on the dress code. I Lived in Texas for 7 years, let me tell you, You donít want to walk in to a redneck bar dressed like a Cowboy. You know why, they donít like foreigners dressed in hat and wrangler jeans. I can give you more example form all over the world, but I think you got the drift.

Comment

Originally posted by NYAhmadi:
                              Yes, I misstated, Gutra is not banned, but the Ring to be placed on top of Gutra is not allowed, unless one is Arab. Since, I worked on a Government sanctioned project; I was briefed along with a number of my colleagues about such a restriction. One reason that was given to us was that ďyou might be mistaken as a SaudiĒ (which I donít know what the big deal will be). However, I must say that all these draconian laws of Saudi Arabia are to keep the population suppressed and under the dictatorial hold of the Shiekhs. Even the clergy there is very outspoken of the lifestyles of the Princes and of the Royals and of the Upper crest, etc. I must also tell you that contrary to popular belief, some of the best and most humble people that I had the opportunity to interview were people of the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia (particularly, Qatif, and Al-Ahsa) and I am sure that most Saudis are decent human beings. It is only the selected rich and upper class (Vegas type) that are responsible of creating such a bad impression of Saudis.

Ya Akh Tazz. Ana kalam shoyee Arabi.

ny...u can't wear the gutra w/o the ring...the gutra would fall off

it's commom sense

------------------
                              "There as many ideas in the minds of men and women as there are stars in the sky, it is your job to hold on to one and make it come true"
                              Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                              X