Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Namaaz -----> Physical, Mental Benefits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Namaaz -----> Physical, Mental Benefits?

Well, I've been told by my grandfather that there are both mental and physical benefits from Namaaz. He also told me each position and stance in namaaz is good for our health. Although, he did not remember at the time what the actual benefits are, he did mention a Doctor in North America who has gone into vast research about this.

Do you guys know what those benefits are specifically relating to this topic?

Another question pops into mind, instead of making two threads I'll make one.

Now I've noticed, everyone has a different way of praying. For example some pray with their hands on their stomach, some on the chest, some with their hands down, some with feet spread only a hand apart, some with feet spread atlest 2-3 feet apart. Others look around while they pray.

Now, I'm not going to bother to going into specific sects because then y'all will start saying "NO MY WAY IS RIGHT" like little kids and end up trashing this thread.

Why do you choose to pray the way YOU do and what is the significance mentally and physically to the way you pray?

Oh another thing, I've noticed women pray differently as well compared to men. Why?

As usual try not to copy paste. If you must copy paste then summarize what you have done which shows you have an understanding of it, instead of just following it. And it shows that you can support your opinion.

Thank You.

------------------
    Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

Love happens once . . .
    Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

I will leave the physical and mental benefits out of my answer, though the mental benefits should be more than obvious.

As for the difference between men and women, I don't think there are any significant differences, maybe one or two minor differences and I think both men and women pray according to the way the prophet(pbuh) taught them to pray.
    Since all 4 schools of thought are agreed upon on that, I think there isn't any need to delve into why? .

The difference between where to place the hands (and some other minor differences) are due to different narratives from the prophet(pbuh)'s time or due to some difference of interpretation of those narratives between the 4 schools of thought of Islam.

Islam allows such difference of opinionas we all know. We all know also, that all schools of thought are correct and recognize each other to be correct and muslims can follow any one of them. I simply pray in the way my parents taught me, which is the hanafi way.

That's all there really is to these small differences that we see in the prayers.

P.S. nobody looks around while praying, unless they are making a mistake.

[This message has been edited by Ahmed (edited July 03, 2001).]

Comment

Well that didn't really answer my question. Anyone else?

------------------
      Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

Love happens once . . .

Comment

Originally posted by CocoNut:
        Now, I'm not going to bother to going into specific sects because then y'all will start saying "NO MY WAY IS RIGHT" like little kids and end up trashing this thread.
        I remember talking about this with a close friend of mine a few months ago. What she told me was that these differences may seem significant to some, but what matters most is the basics of salaat are met. The differences between the way men pray and the way women pray I knew, but what i wondered about was the differences between the way people would hold their hands, place their feet, raise their fingers...etc. Some of those differences are based on the four schools of thoughts, and likewise the differences do seem to vary with people from different regions.

The way I pray the way I do, is the way I've been taught from childhood, as well as incorporating all that i've learned along the way.

Regarding the mental and physical benefits, I agree with Ahmed when he says that the mental benefits are obvious. Physically I don't know, but I know that it is recommended to keep oneself in good shape so that one can perform namaaz properly.

These small differences, and thats really all they are about placing the hands,feet,etc. mostly arise from the different interpretations.

About your query regarding why women pray differently as compared to men, i'll get back to u later. If anyone else has the answer plz reply

Comment

Apart from it being one's duty, the benefits of namaaz are immense, mentally n physcially both. Nothing soothes the soul or calms a disturbed state of mind more than prayer.

Physcially, I've heard or read that the going into roku and sujood produces a constant movment of the knee joint; thereby producing and enhancing the lubrication between this ball-and-scoket joint. Keeping the area well-lubricated and moving prevents wear & tear and promotes healthier locomotion.

And (not to sound prejudiced or anything) come to think of it, notice muslims have a considerably lesser number of arthiritis cases compared to the western world.

Comment

Elmo, there we go. Now we're getting to the point I wanted to know. Lets put the arthiritis aside.

What other physical benefits are there from namaaz?

Circulation of blood?
            Elaborate people.

------------------

Love happens once . . .

Comment

As far as I remember,my mother told me once that if you say your prayers with fully concentrating on what you are saying, it helps to improve both;your concentration and your memory.PLUS namaz is some kind of exercise,helps to develop a good posture and increases your intestinal movements etc.

Why men and women say there prayers differently..?
              I don't have any solid proof of my answer but as I've read,women should say their prayers quite modestly not covering much space like men .But I'll repeat,I don't know exactly.
              Wait......till GFQ's next reply.

Comment

O.k i know some physical benefits from one research paper i did some time ago..i hope it helps

* Salat is a kind of an exercise and exercise reduce the risk of cholesterol and heart diseases.

* Salat is an excellent form of exercise to prevent indigestion. In the morning when stomach is empty..we offer fewer number of Rak'aat while the evening after the dinner we offer an extra number of Rak'aat.

* By offering Takbir we move hand and shoulder muscles..this increases the flow of blood towards torso.

* The most important function in salat is sajdah. It increases fresh supply of blood to our brain.

* In tashah'hud position..most body parts move in a way that it provides a form of relaxation to our entire body. (Pressure is applied on the body parts as if it was a kind of massage which releases tension).

Comment

WOW!! Interesting what else is there to know people, you've got my attention.

------------------

Love happens once . . .

Comment

If somebody prays a different way then that doesn't mean that they are part of a different sect.

Intention is an important part of the prayer. If your intention is something other than seeking the pleasure of Allah(swt) then you will get what you intented to do the prayer for.

If somebody was to pray because prayer is a good exercise then you will not get the reward for the prayer because you have the wrong intention for the prayer. Same as if somebody was to pray just to show off in front of people.

Allah(swt) will say you prayed to show off to people and you got what you wanted so what else are you looking for.

When a person prays with his eyes then that person doesn't get any physical exercise.

We pray to obey Allah(swt) for His(swt) pleasure only.

Comment

Working...
                    X