Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visiting GRAVES

Praise be to Allaah.

It is prescribed to visit graves in order to learn a lesson from that and to remember the Hereafter. That is subject to the condition that one does not say anything that will anger the Lord, such as calling upon the one who is buried or seeking his help instead of Allaah, or praising him and saying that he is for certain in Paradise, etc.

The purpose of visiting the graves is twofold:

(a)The visitor benefits from remembering death and the dead, remembering that their destiny will be either Paradise or Hell. This is the primary purpose of the visit.

(b)The deceased also benefits and is treated kindly by the visitor greeting him with salaams, making du’aa’ for him, praying for
    forgiveness for him. This applies only to Muslims. Among the du’aa’s that may be recited are:

“Assalaamu ‘alaykum ahl al-diyaar min al-mu’mineen wa’l-Muslimeen, inshaAllaah bikum laahiqoon, as’al Allaaha lana wa lakum al-‘aafiyah (peace be upon you O people of the dwellings, believers and Muslims, In sha
    Allaah we will join you, I ask Allaah to keep us and you safe and sound).”

It is permissible to raise the hands when reciting this du’aa’, because of the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah who said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) went out one night, and I sent
    Bareerah to follow him and see where he went. She said, ‘He went towards Baqee’
    al-Gharqad [the graveyard in Madeenah], and he stood at the bottom of al-Baqee’ and raised his hands, then he went away.’ Bareerah came back to me and told me, and when morning came I asked him about it. I said, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, where did you go out to last night? He said, ‘I was
    sent to the people of al-Baqee’, to pray for them.’”

But you should not face the grave when making du’aa’ for them; rather you should face the direction of the Ka’bah, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade prayer (salaah) facing graves, and du’aa’ is the heart and soul of salaah, as is well known, and is subject to
    the same rulings. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him said: “Du’aa’ is worship” then he recited the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “And your Lord said: “Invoke Me [i.e. believe in My Oneness (Islamic Monotheism) and ask Me for anything] I will respond to your (invocation).” [Ghaafir 40:60]

You should not walk between the graves of the Muslims wearing your shoes. It was narrated that ‘Uqbah ibn ‘Aamir (may Allaah be pleased with him) said:
    “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:
    ‘If I were to walk on hot coals or on a sword, or if I were to mend my shoes
    using my feet, that would be better for me than if I were to walk on the grave of a Muslim. And it makes no difference to me if I were to relieve myself in the midst of the graves or in the middle of the market-place
    [i.e., both are equally bad].’” (Narrated by Ibn Maajah, 1567)

We ask Allaah, the Most High, the Omnipotent, to have mercy upon our dead and the deceased Muslims.

[This message has been edited by Sadiaa (edited June 25, 2001).]

Permissibility of women visiting graves

Paying visits by Muslim men to cemeteries is a practice of the sunnah, and it reminds one of his destiny so that he may strive for it. As the Prophet (peace be upon him) said:

"I [once] had forbid you from visiting graves, [and I now enjoin] you to do so, so that the visit may serve as a beneficial reminder." (related by
    Muslim and others)

and in the version of al-Haakim:

"… for [such visits] soften the heart, bring tears to the eyes, and serve as a reminder of the Hereafter, [but be careful] not to speak forbidden expressions [i.e. while visiting]." (Sahih al-Jaami' 4584)

Concerning visits to cemeteries by women, scholars have varied opinions on this issue:

it is allowed or preferred and their case is similar to that of men

it is makrooh (reprehensible), which is the opinion of jumhoor ul-'ulemaa' (the majority of the scholars)

*it is forbidden, this one probably being the strongest opinion, as indicated by al-hadith al-sahih in which the Prophet (peace be upon him) said:

"Allaah has cursed women who frequent graves," related by Ahmed and Tirmidhi and Ibn Maajah and in one version,

"Allaah has cursed women who visit graves and those who build mosques and
    place lights upon them." (related by Abu Dawood, al-Tirmidhi, al-Nisaa'i and
    al-Haakim)

This condemnation would warrant the validity of the argument against women visiting cemeteries as the lawmaker (i.e. Allaah) would not condemn something that is permissible or reprehensible—only that which is forbidden completely.

Regarding what would be the reason for this condemnation, the scholars have cited two main arguments:

Firstly, that women for the most part are emotionally weaker in accepting calamities and perhaps being in sight of her dear one's graves may break into wailing and loud weeping, which would be detrimental to her
    religious character and harmful for her body as well.

Secondly, cemeteries are oftentimes isolated places which may not be safe for someone being alone, possibly exposing a woman to people of corrupt or loose moral character.

In summary, the rationale behind this prohibition is that women are often not as strong emotionally in the face of calamities, and not visiting graves prevents them from the trial and from being exposed to unnecessary fitnah.

Allaah the Most Knowledgeable knows what is most correct and best.

Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)

Comment

May Allah reward you sister tremendous reward.
      Ahmad G
      Islamic Studies Teacher/Student.

Comment

Note: Women May Visit Graves, however it's unlawful for them to wine on grave.
        Ahmad G

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmad G:
          true !

Comment

"wine"? or "whine"? if "wine" then what do u mean?

[This message has been edited by Yasmine2 (edited June 30, 2001).]

Comment

Sorry, It's Whine (to utter a high-pitched plaintive or distressed cry). Barakallahu feekum for correction.
              Ahmad G

Comment

I thougth it was: Women should avoid visiting graves moreover mourn for the dead.

Usually, women are not permitted to go with the jana'aza to the graveyard or offer fatiha over the grave for the deceased.

Comment

Originally posted by X_Communist:

I thougth it was: Women should avoid visiting graves moreover mourn for the dead.

Usually, women are not permitted to go with the jana'aza to the graveyard or offer fatiha over the grave for the deceased.

you are right on this one. actually women are not allowed to visit graves.
                  There is a hadith from PROPHET PBUH that tells us that in cememtry women are NUDE to dead people so they should not enter in a cemetry. One more reason is that women are more emotional and start crying loud/whining while attending the grave of beloved one.

------------------
                  We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

Changez,

Is that really a hadith? I had heard that also but wasn't sure if it was a cultural saying.

Can you please list where I can find this hadith?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Yasmine2:
                      Changez,

Is that really a hadith? I had heard that also but wasn't sure if it was a cultural saying.

Can you please list where I can find this hadith?

Thanks!
                      ditto !!! i'd also like to know tht... i've heard it frm my grandparents but wasnt sure abt it...

Comment

Working...
                      X