who is mullah?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

who is mullah?

I have come across this term so many times in this section in different context. I was wondering who is mullah and what people mean when they use this word "mullah"

Khan,

I think many people think of "mullah" as anyone who has beard.

I think "Mullah" is the ones who claim to be Imam/Qari/Kateeb/Ullema/Maulana and try to create hysteria in Muslim about issue by giving inflatry speeches.

However saying that, I have seen that mullah and sectarian tension is in countries where British and US have special interests. For example In Pakistan, Saudi Arab and some of the Arab countries. So I think there is definitely some link between sectarian tention among Muslims and these western countries.

However I have seen none of these examples in African countries (in muslims). I wonder why??

------------------
    "Away from Eyes......Close to Heart"

[This message has been edited by Insaaniat (edited June 26, 2001).]

Comment

you raise a good point. why we keep dividing into sects?
      why sects keep emerging from among us?
      we got divided by "Deo-band" and "Breli" madressahs while the concept "Breli" madressah is based on originated from Egypt and we don't see such "intense"/"extremist" operations of "breli" concept in Egypt.
      also, my friends told me that whatever Shia people do on 10 Moharram on streets is not done in IRAN which is heavily populated by Shias. why do ONLY we follow any sect towards extreme???

are our all "religious scholars" power hungry? fame hungry? authoritarian?
      and so are the followers of "religious scholar" blindly following them and providing them what they desire.

I don't know from where do these leaders of Islamic movements get all the "LANDCRUISERs PAJEROs .... KKs" ???

do you know?

------------------
      We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

Originally posted by Insaaniat:
        Khan,

I think many people think of "mullah" as anyone who has beard.

I think "Mullah" is the ones who claim to be Imam/Qari/Kateeb/Ullema/Maulana and try to create hysteria in Muslim about issue by giving inflatry speeches.

So, in other words, Mirza Ghulam Qadiani would fit right in with this "mullah" category which you are describing?

p.s - What is inflatry?

------------------
        "I am not playing with a full deck!"

[This message has been edited by Abdul Basit (edited June 26, 2001).]

Comment

Insaaniat,

Are jews and christians who have got beard mullahs too.

Also

Imam==leader
          Qari==one who recite quran
          Khateeb==one who can give speech
          Ullema(plural of aalim)==knowledgable person
          Mulana== that was my question mullah or maulana

I guess every muslim should be able to lead a prayer, he should be able to recite, he should be able to give khutba, should be knowledgable so does it mean every muslim including you and I are mullahs?

Believe me on African issue I know the sectarian hate among them. It is just that they have started to open to the world more recently and these things have started to come out. Example is ibadiyah in Algeria who are treated as differently.

My question still remains there.

Comment

Insaaniyat

The biggest Mullah is Mirza Ghulam.

He was the last Prophet as you claim, therefore his beard must be taken into account.

I bet you wished you kept your mouth shut, instead of stereotyping people who have EXPOSED your CULT!

Comment

Mullah is a creature,....who can speak for hours and deliver firey speeches,.....without even knowing the real topic with facts...
              °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`° ¤ø,¸°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ ºÂ°`°º¤ø,¸,¸¸,ø¤º °`°º¤ø,¸,¸¸,ø¤º° ºÂ¤Ã¸

A Faith that cannot survive collision with the truth is not worth many regrets.

Comment

Most politicians have this quality so why not they are called Mullahs.

Also, where this word mullah or maulana originates from.

Comment

Originally posted by khan_sahib:
                  Most politicians have this quality so why not they are called Mullahs.

Also, where this word mullah or maulana originates from.
                  Good question,..Actually,..I forgot to mention,.....firey speeches about religion,...and creature with beard,...

As in the dictionaries of the world,..I got hits like,...as follows,...

Coordinate Terms of noun mullah

1 sense of mullah

Sense 1

Mullah, Mollah, Mulla -- (a Muslim trained in the doctrine and law of Islam; the head of a mosque)

Muslim, Moslem, Mohammedan, Muhammedan, Muhammadan -- (a believer or follower of Islam)
                  Shiite, Shi'ite, Shiite Muslim, Shi'ite Muslim -- (a member of the branch of Islam that regards Ali as the legitimate successor to Mohammed and rejects the first three caliphs)
                  Sunnite, Sunni -- (a member of the branch of Islam that accepts the first four caliphs as rightful successors to Mohammed)
                  Moor -- (one of the Muslim people of N Africa; of mixed Arab and Berber descent; converted to Islam in the 8th century; conquerors of Spain in the 8th century)
                  begum -- (a Muslim woman of high rank in India or Pakistan)
                  Berber -- (a member of a Caucasoid Muslim people of northern Africa)
                  caliph, calif, kaliph, kalif, khalif -- (the civil and religious leader of a Muslim state; a successor of Muhammad)
                  fakir, fakeer, faqir, faquir -- (a Muslim or Hindu mendicant monk who is regarded as a holy man)
                  imam, imaum -- ((Islam) the man who leads prayers in a mosque)
                  Mullah, Mollah, Mulla -- (a Muslim trained in the doctrine and law of Islam; the head of a mosque)
                  Saracen -- ((historically) a Muslim who opposed the crusades)

[This message has been edited by TARIQ786USA (edited June 27, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by TARIQ786USA:
                    Good question,..Actually,..I forgot to mention,.....firey speeches about religion,...and creature with beard,...

so a hindu, christian, jew clerics with a beard giving "firey" speeches about religion are all mullahs. Right?

As in the dictionaries of the world,..I got hits like,...as follows,...

I know that what Mullah or mulla is referred to but why muslims are called mullah as I don't think there is any history of muslims calling their Imam "mullah". There is no concept of head of mosque in Islam so how come this definition can be right.

Comment

As you have asked,...

so a hindu, christian, jew clerics with a beard giving "firey" speeches about religion are all mullahs. Right?

I think,..in Hindu termonology,..they are called Pandits,...Chrsitians call them as Father/Paster etc,..and Jews called them as Rabbi,.....Now,.since Mullah termnology is referred to Islam,...Therefore,...Mullah sometimes used in derogatory terms too,...Where as Imam is little bit respectful Title,...Mullah percieved as cheap,...Now the originating history ,...This word actually started from Sub0-Continent,....Like,...In Arabs world,..they called Allah,..and in Western world called as God,...therefore,..its more like a geographic termonology,...Used by earlier generations,...but down the road it was used differently,.......

[This message has been edited by TARIQ786USA (edited June 27, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by sholay:

Insaaniyat

The biggest Mullah is Mirza Ghulam.

He was the last Prophet as you claim, therefore his beard must be taken into account.

I bet you wished you kept your mouth shut, instead of stereotyping people who have EXPOSED your CULT!
                        I can see the writings of people who exposed the cult and I am happy that I did not made wrong choice.

Originally posted by Abdul Basit:
                        So, in other words, Mirza Ghulam Qadiani would fit right in with this "mullah" category which you are describing?

p.s - What is inflatry?

Well..You can..happy now??? BTW word was inflammatory.(I think I typed it right this time J )

Insaaniat,

Are jews and christians who have got beard mullahs too.
                        I guess every muslim should be able to lead a prayer, he should be able to recite, he should be able to give khutba, should be knowledgable so does it mean every muslim including you and I are mullahs?

Believe me on African issue I know the sectarian hate among them. It is just that they have started to open to the world more recently and these things have started to come out. Example is ibadiyah in Algeria who are treated as differently.

My question still remains there.
                        Khan, well my father spent nearly 20 years in African country and he never seen a example of sectarian tension and violence that is in Pakistan. Remember I am talking about what use to be known as Bush People. What is that when we come to west, same people started to behave normally and when in Pakistan we hate each other because someones beliefs are different???

You are right, we all may have beard and many other people do have beard. But tell me do you see any difference between jew/Christian and our Mullahs. Beard means nothing and anyone could have beard. The reason behind the beard and there actions dont match up.

If you look at the history of christianity and Jews, their leader too had these characteristics of mullah at one time or another.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Insaaniat (edited June 27, 2001).]

Comment

>>>If you look at the history of christianity and Jews, their leader too had these characteristics of mullah at one time or another.<<<<

so why only muslims are referred to as mullahs even when the word mullah is not in their own language.

as far as african sectarianism or religious hatred is concerned, i am talking about incidents from last two years.

Comment

>>>If you look at the history of christianity and Jews, their leader too had these characteristics of mullah at one time or another.<<<<

so why only muslims are referred to as mullahs even when the word mullah is not in their own language.

as far as african sectarianism or religious hatred is concerned, i am talking about incidents from last two years.

So are you saying "Mullah" is not from our language? OK we will call them Maulvis. Is that OK then?

------------------

Comment

and where did maulvi come from?

All I am saying is that Islam doesn't have these terminologies for Imam or anything like that so why people associate these terms with muslim maulvi?

Would it be fair if I call someone else's religious figure with some derogatory term which is not used by their religion at all?

Comment

Working...
                              X