Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beard

Salaam,

I overheard a hadith once where it was said that having a beard is sunnat.. even if it is not a full one - the point being to differ from the non-muslims.

Does anyone have a reference for this hadith anywhere?

i think having a beard is WAJIB

Status Of Beard In Islam

Translation: Ibn Umar radiyallahu anhu quotes the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam as saying, "Cut short the moustache and lengthen the beard."

(Bukhari and Muslim)

Translation: Abu Huraira radiyallahu anhu quotes the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam as saying, "Shorten the moustache and lengthen the beard."
    (Muslim)

Translation: Ibn Umar radiyallahu anhu quotes the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam as saying, "Grow (lengthen) the beard."
    (Muslim)

Translation: Yahya ibn Kathir says that, once a person from Ajam (external province) who had grown a moustache and shaved off the beard entered the mosque. The Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam asked him, "What motivated you to do this act? He replied that his Lord had ordered him to do so. The Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam said, "Allah has ordered me to shorten my moustache and lengthen my beard." Besides these ahaadith, there are other ahaadith which support the necessity of growing the beard. Therefore, to shave, or trim one’s beard less than the length of a fist is haram (forbidden) and anyone contradicting this ruling will be committing a major sin and regarded as a fasiq (immoral person).

[This message has been edited by Sadiaa (edited June 27, 2001).]

Comment

http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/Forum13/HTML/003084.html

Posted a thread some days ago adressing this issue.

To sum it up, all the four schools of thought consider beard to be wajib as in cumpolsory. Not having a beard is considered a sin. Its weird that so many beleive growing a beard is Sunnah as in optional.

------------------
      ~Survival of the smartest~

Comment

I don't understand how a religion impose on such useless restrictions! Having a beard and not having it is a personal choice.

Such hard anf fast restrictions should be removed!

Comment

Originally posted by aMiGo:
          Its weird that so many beleive growing a beard is Sunnah as in optional.

[/B]
          is there ne thing abt beard in Quran ??? its possible coz all refrences abt beard are from hadiths.. so thts y ppl think tht its only a sunnah... even though, we should all be following sunnah...

so who in here has actually grown beard according to sunnah ?? (jst curious)

[This message has been edited by Sadiaa (edited June 28, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
          X