I want the definition of MUSLIM.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want the definition of MUSLIM.

Dear members,after reading so many posts I really want to know ,how a Muslim is defined?
    Please note I am a new member so I do not know if somebody has asked this ,before.
    Anyway,I am eager for your reply.

Originally posted by Afia:
    Dear members,after reading so many posts I really want to know ,how a Muslim is defined?
    Please note I am a new member so I do not know if somebody has asked this ,before.
    Polite, honest, patient, god fearing, caring towards his family and friends, fair, always smiling and never getting angry, respectful, humble in addition to having the muslim faith. Simple.

------------------
    ~Survival of the smartest~

Comment

A person who sincerely believes in his heart the oneness of Allah and believes that Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) was his last messenger ("la ilaha il lallah mohammad ur rasoolullah") is a Muslim.

A person who follows the above guideline will make his actions according to the book of Allah (swt) and would act upon what his prophet (pbuh) sunnah.

Comment

Originally posted by aMiGo:
        Polite, honest, patient, god fearing, caring towards his family and friends, fair, always smiling and never getting angry, respectful, humble in addition to having the muslim faith. Simple.

amigo, what you listed are attributes, and she is asking for "muslim faith" which you didn't define.

a person who beleives by heart and says "la ilaaha il-Allah Muhammad-ur-rasool-ul-Allah", and also beleives in Quran as last holy book, beleives in angels, in day of judgement and reflect his beleif onto his/her life (live according to Quran and Sunnah)

------------------
        We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

Isnt "Muslim" nothing but an identity label? Yes it comes along with the belief in oneness of Allah SWT and in the finality of Prophet SAW, but other than that, to me its a mere label, which in the current times, does not define the true traits of a Muslim. The above quoted definitions are idealistic, more suitable for sahaba-e-karam.

Perhaps Im being negative, but Im reminded of an incident which shows what the word "Muslim" means to people around the world.
          The grand mufti of Pakistan, Mufti Rafi Usmani, was on a trip to Germany, and during a stop at a huge departmental store, a Sikh indulged him in the following conversation, which Mufti Rafi Usmani narrated a couple of weeks ago.
          Sikh."Hello...are u from Pakistan?"
          Mufti,"Yes."
          Sikh:"Very glad to meet you. Im from India, and I own this department store."
          Mufti:"Very nice mashallah."
          Sikh:"Judging by your appearance, you seem like an islamic scholar. true?"
          Mufti:"yes..i am the mufti-e-azam of Pakistan, and am currently here in germany on a speaking tour"
          Sikh:"would you mind sitting with me for a while and teaching me more about Islam. I have read a lil about it and am very fascinated"
          Mufti:"Sure, id be delighted"

At that point, the two went into the sikhs office, and there the mufti told him plenty about Islam.....so much so that the sikh said that he was ready to accept Islam right there. Mufti sahib performed the necessary prayers, and made him recite the kalima, told him the basic tenets of Islam etc, and pronounced that now he had entered into Islam.
          At this time, the Sikh was very happy and content. Seeing this, the mufti said.

Mufti:"Congratulations on becoming a Muslim"
          Sikh:"What? Im a muslim now?
          Mufti:"Yes...you accepted Islam...so now you are a muslim"
          Sikh:"er...mufti sahib...is there a way that I could accept Islam, but not be a muslim? I dont wanna be a muslim. I just wanted to accept Islam.
          Mufti:"Well the two are interconnected. Why do u say so though?"
          Sikh:"Well because the reputation of muslims here and around the world is so rotten, i wanna continue being a sikh...but I will inshallah practice all the tenets of Islam, coz they make sense to me. I will pray, read Quran, fast, etc...but dont wanna be called a muslim."

And the mufti sahib said that Ive been unable to come up with an answer to his query....coz its a very legitimate one. To what low levels have we taken the identity "Muslim", that even though people recognize the righteousness of Islam, they are not willing to take on the identity that goes along with it? Isnt the ID representative of the faith itself?

Well...to sum it up, if u want a definition of the word Muslim, then it has been cited adequately in the posts above.
          The real issue though is...do we want to me called muslims, or do we want to be muslims?

Comment

Afia !!!

The most consolidated definition of a 'muslim' is the most simple one:

Anyone who believes in the Oneness of Allah, and in Mohammad as His messeger is called a 'muslim'.

There are some mischievious people who do not have the knowledge of Quran or of the Sunnah of Rasool. They add up another word in this definition (the word 'last' for the prophet). They are acting against Quran and against Rasool. These people are the ones who are responsible for all the Fitna(the mischiefs) in the ummah. They cannot produce one single stance from the Book or from Hadith to support their addition into the Kalima of Islam.

[This message has been edited by NMK Hajana (edited June 21, 2001).]

Comment

Believe in one God and all his prophets (Muhammed PBUH the last prophet) will make you a muslim.

Some ppl may disagree but these are the very basic requirments to become a muslim.

When you accept islam the first think you are taught is kalima which means what I said above.

Comment

Abdali !!!!

Before you guide others, you must learn the true Kalima of Islam yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by NMK Hajana:

Abdali !!!!

Before you guide others, you must learn the true Kalima of Islam yourself.

why don't you learn it?

------------------
                  We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

The Kalima of Islam is just one:

La Ilaha Ilallaho Mohammad ur Rasoolallah.

Translation:

There is none worthy of worship except Allah, and Mohammad is His Messenger.

ANYONE WHO DIFFERS FROM THIS MAY COME OUT NOW, AND TELL US WHAT IS HIS KALIMA...????

[This message has been edited by NMK Hajana (edited June 21, 2001).]

Comment

As you have asked,...goto these sites and read about it,..you gonna be amazed,....trust me,.....get more knowledge and then discuss with us all,..I shall be happy to guide you,.... http://rameez.virtualave.net/

http://www.submission.org/Q-science.html
                      http://google.yahoo.com/bin/query?p=...ille&hc=0&hs=0

°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`° ¤ø,¸°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ ºÂ°`°º¤ø,¸,¸¸,ø¤º °`°º¤ø,¸,¸¸,ø¤º° ºÂ¤Ã¸

A Faith that cannot survive collision with the truth is not worth many regrets.

Comment

Originally posted by Changez_like:
                        amigo, what you listed are attributes, and she is asking for "muslim faith" which you didn't define.

a person who beleives by heart and says "la ilaaha il-Allah Muhammad-ur-rasool-ul-Allah", and also beleives in Quran as last holy book, beleives in angels, in day of judgement and reflect his beleif onto his/her life (live according to Quran and Sunnah)

I think I understood the question well and answered her accordingly.

------------------
                        ~Survival of the smartest~

Comment

The word Muslim, the noun for the active agent (subject) of the Arabic verb Aslama, literally means one who accepts/submits. Therefore the answer to your query would be a Muslim is one who voluntarily submits his will, to the will (whatever that may be) of God.

------------------
                          They shoot partypoopers, don't they?

Comment

Bro partpooper's definition might be right...
                            According to my understanding

Muslim is from....... Islam...
                            and Islam is from .....Salam
                            Salam means peace
                            So Muslim means a peaceful human being
                            Although we are totally other way round.
                            I am from England and work in Oldham, you would have seen the news about recent riots in Oldham peaceful Muslims burnt countless cars businesses and houses.
                            Recently our Muslim attitude has been watched by whole world during NatWest bank's cricket series here in England

Mr NMK hajana......
                            Its not necessary for you to jump in every thread, if you don't have anything to say other than starting a Muslim Qadiyani debate.
                            SAWAL GANDUM JAWAB CHANA

Comment

In 1953, the mullahs of Pakistan staged heavy riots against the Ahmadiyya Jamaat, and killed more than 200 Ahmadies, burnt their houses and shops, and did many other inhuman atrocities against the Ahmadies. These riots were finally controlled by putting a Martial Law in Lahore, and General Azam was the man who put off the fire in half a day. The mullahs quicly retreated when they saw the guns out.

As a result of these riots, the Punjab government of that time appointed a Tribunal, comprising of two senior High Court Judges, to investigate the cause of these riots.

At the end of the investigation a full report was published, which is available by the name of "Inquiruy commission Report 1953". This report says that the 'ulemas' told the court thast the Ahmadies are 'Kaffirs' and some said they are 'Murtad'. So this was the main reason why the riots occurred. But actually all these riots were having a political ambition behind it.

The Judges asked all the 'Ulemas' one common question in the court. They asked them to define who is a 'muslim'....??????

Unfortunately, as the report goes, none of these 'ulemas' was able to give a consolidated definition of a 'muslim'. All of the them gave a varying definition from each other.

THIS IS THE HORRIBLE STATE OF OUR 'ULEMA'. ON BURNING THE INNOCENT PEOPLE IN THEIR HOUSES GIVES THEM PLEASURE. BUT THEY KNOW NOT WHAT ISLAM IS....

[This message has been edited by NMK Hajana (edited June 22, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                              X