X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salman al Farsi (ra)

salaam,

Salman al Farsi (ra)

“Muhammad is the Rasul of Allah, And those with him are hard against the Kafireen and merciful among themselves. Thou (O Mohammad) see them bowing and doing Sajdah. seeking bounty for Allah and (His) acceptance. On their faces there are marks, being the traces of their Sajdah, such is their likeness in the Tawrah and their likeness in the Injeel, like as sown corn that sends forth its shoot and strengthened it and rests firm upon its stalk, delighting the one who sows the seed that He may enrage the Kafireen. Allah has promised unto such of them as believe and do good works. His forgiveness and immense reward.”(TMQ Al-Fath:29)

Salman al-Farsi (ra), whose kunya was Abu Abdullah, passed away in 33 Hijri during the time when Uthman ibn Affan (ra) was Khalifah. He stood fast in the face of extreme difficulties and hardships to carry the Light of Lights and to spread the secrets of hearts to lift people from darkness to light. He was a noble companion of the Prophet (saw).

He came from a highly respected Zoroastrian family from Isfahan, from a village called Jayy. His father was a big land owner in this village, and Salman, was loved by his father, very much. Ibn Ishaq narrates that Salman al Farsi (ra) said; “My father loved me more the world itself”. He (ra) was overprotected by his father.

One day while passing by a church, he was attracted by the voices of men praying. Drawn by their worship, he ventured in and found it better than the religion of his upbringing. On learning that the religion originated in Syria, he left home, against his father’s wishes, went to Syria and associated himself with a succession of Christian bishops.

With one of these bishops he was told about the coming of Muhammad (saw). It is been narrated in the Seerah of ibn Ishaq, that Salman al Farsi said;

“(the bishop) told me that a Prophet was about to rise who, would be sent with the religion of Ibrahim; he would come to Arabia, and would migrate to a country between 2 lava belts, between which were palms. He has unmistakable marks. He will eat what is given to him but not things given as sadaqah. Between his shoulders is the seal of prophecy…”

“…A group of Arab leaders from the Kalb tribe passed through Ammuriyah (where Salman was Staying) and I asked them to take me with them to the land of the Arabs in return for whatever money I had. They agreed and I paid them. When we reached Wadi al-Qura (a place between Madinah and Syria), they broke their agreement and sold me to a Jew. I worked as a servant for him but eventually he sold me to a nephew of his belonging to the tribe of Banu Qurayzah. This nephew took me with him to Yathrib, the city of palm groves, which is how the Christian at Ammuriyah had described it. At that time the Prophet was inviting his people in Makkah to Islam but I did not hear anything about him then because of the harsh duties which slavery imposed upon me. When the Prophet reached Yathrib after his Hijra from Makkah, I was in fact at the top of a palm tree belonging to my master doing some work. My master was sitting under the tree. A nephew of his came up and said:

"May Allah declare war on the Aws and the Khazraj (the two main Arab tribes of Yathrib). By Allah, they are now gathering at Quba to meet a man who has today come from Makkah and who claims he is a Prophet. “I felt hot flushes as soon as I heard these words and I began to shiver so violently that I was afraid that I might fall on my master. I quickly got down from the tree and spoke to my master's nephew. “What did you say? Repeat the news for me.”

My master was very angry and gave me a terrible blow. “What does this matter to you? Go back to what you were doing,” he shouted.

That evening, I took some dates that I had gathered and went to the place where the Prophet had alighted. I went up to him and said:

“I have heard that you are a righteous man and that you have companions with you who are strangers and are in need. Here is something from me as sadaqah. I see that you are more deserving of it than others.”

The Prophet ordered the Sahabah to eat but he himself did not eat of it.

I gathered some more dates and when the Prophet left Quba for Madinah I went to him and said: "I noticed that you did not eat of the sadaqah I gave. This however is a gift for you." Of this gift of dates, both he and his companions ate.

When he found in the Prophet (saw) the fulfilment of all the signs of which he had been informed by his Christian teachers, he affirmed the testification of faith - Shahada. Slavery prevented Salman (ra) from being at the battles of Badr and Uhud. The Messenger of Allah (saw) helped him gain his release from slavery by planting with his own hand three hundred palm trees and giving him a large piece of gold. Once a free man he took part in every subsequent battle with the Prophet (saw).

In the battle of al-Ahzab or al-Khandaq, Salman (ra) advised the Prophet to dig trenches around Madinah in defence of the city, a suggestion that the Prophet happily accepted. He then went ahead and helped the digging with his own hands. During this excavation, Salman (ra) struck upon a rock that he was unable to break. The Prophet (saw) took an axe and hit it. The first strike brought forth a spark. He then hit it a second time and brought forth a second spark. He then struck for the third time and brought forth a third spark. He then asked Salman (ra), “O Salman, did you see those sparks?” Salman (ra) replied, “Yes, O Prophet, indeed I did” The Prophet (saw) said, “I struck my first blow, and what you saw flashed out, so that the palaces of al-Hirah and al-Madain of Kisra lit up for me from it as if they were dog’s teeth, and Jibreel informed me that this Ummah would be victorious over them, then I struck the second blow, and what you saw flashed out, so that the palaces of the pale men in the land of the Byzantines lit up for me from it as if they were dog’s teeth, and Jibreel informed me that this Ummah would be victorious over them. Then I struck the third blow, and what you saw flashed out, so that the palaces of Sana lit up for me from it as if they were dog’s teeth, and Jibreel informed me that this Ummah would be victorious over them”

Salman (ra) reported that the Prophet said: “Nothing but supplication averts the decree, and nothing but righteousness increases life,” and “Your Lord is bountiful and generous, and is ashamed to turn away empty the hands of a servant when he raises them to him”. Tirmidhi transmitted them.

At-Tabari recounts that in the year 16 Hijri the Muslim army turned to the Persian front. In order to confront the Persian king at one point the Muslim army found itself on the opposite bank of the great Tigris River. The commander of the army, Saad Ibn Abi Waqqas (ra), following a dream, ordered the entire army to plunge into the rushing river. Many people were afraid and hung back. Saad (ra), with Salman (ra) by his side, prayed first: “May Allah grant us victory and defeat His enemy.” Then Salman (ra) prayed: “Islam generates good fortune. By Allah, crossing rivers has become as easy for the Muslims as crossing deserts. By Him in whose hand lies Salman’s soul, may the soldiers emerge from the water in the same numbers in which they entered it.” Saad (ra) and Salman (ra) then plunged into the Tigris. It is reported that the river was covered with horses and men. The horses swam and when they tired the river floor seemed to rise up and support them until they regained their breath. To some it seemed that the horses rode effortlessly on the waves. They emerged on the other bank, as Salman (ra) had prayed, having lost nothing from their equipment but one tin cup, and no one having drowned.

They went on to take the Persian capital. Salman (ra) acted as spokesman and said to the conquered Persians: “I have the same origin as you. I shall be compassionate toward you. You have three options. You may embrace Islam, then you will be our brethren and you will have the same privileges and obligations as we. Or you may pay the Jizyah tax and we will govern you fairly. Or we will declare war on you.” The Persians, having witnessed the miraculous crossing of the Muslim army, accepted the second alternative.

Salman Al-Farsi (ra) was eventually appointed governor of that region. He was the commander of 30,000 Muslim troops. Yet, he lived from his own manual labour. He did not own a house, but instead rested under the shade of trees. He used to say that he was surprised to observe so many people spending all their life for the lower world, without a thought for the inevitable death which will take them from the world one day.

Salman (ra) had a mentality of accounting the ruler. This was exemplified when among some spoils that were distributed one day was cloth out of which each of the Sahabah had one piece of clothing cut. One day Umar (ra) got up to speak and said: “Lower your voices so that I may hear you”. He was wearing two pieces of that cloth. Salman (ra) said, “By Allah, we will not hear you, because you prefer yourself to your people.” Umar (ra) inquired, “How is that?” He said: “You are wearing two pieces of cloth and everyone else is wearing only one” Umar (ra) called out: “O Abdullah!” No one answered him. He said again, “O Abdullah ibn Umar!” Abdullah (ra), his son called out: “At your service!” Umar (ra) said, “I ask you by Allah, don't you say that the second piece is yours?” Abdullah (ra) said, “Yes”. Salman (ra) said: “Now we shall hear you”.

Abu Huraira (ra) relates: While we were sitting with the Holy Prophet, Surah al-Jumu’a was revealed to him. When the Prophet (saw) recited the verse, “And He (Allah) has sent him (Muhammad) also to others (than the Arabs)...” [TMQ Al-Jumu’a: 3] I said, “Who are they, O Allah’s Apostle?” The Prophet (saw) did not reply till I repeated my question thrice. At that time Salman al-Farsi (ra) was with us. Allah’s Apostle put his hand on Salman (ra), saying: “If faith were at ath-Thurayya (the Pleiades, very distant stars), even then some men from these people (i.e. Salman's folk) would attain it.”

But also at the same time as a ruler, he was a humble servant of Allah (swt), spending much of his time glorifying His (swt) name. At night Salman (ra) would begin to pray. If he got tired, he would start making dhikr by tongue. When his tongue would get tired, he would contemplate and meditate on Allah’s (swt) power and greatness in creation. He would then say to himself, “O my ego, you took your rest, now get up and pray. Then he would make dhikr again, then meditate, and so forth all night long.”

Abu Juhayfa relates “The Prophet made a bond of brotherhood between Salman and Abu Darda al-Ansari. Salman paid a visit to Abu Darda’ and found Umm Darda’ (his wife) dressed in shabby clothes. He asked her why she was in that state. She said, “Your brother Abu Darda' is not interested in the luxuries of this world.” In the meantime Abu Darda’ came and prepared a meal for Salman. Salman requested Abu Darda' to eat with him, but Abu Darda’ said, “I am fasting.” Salman said, “I am not going to eat unless you eat.” So Abu Darda’ ate with Salman. When it was night and a part of the night has passed, Abu Darda’ got up (to offer the night prayer), but Salman told him to sleep and Abu Darda’ slept. After some time Abu Darda’ again got up but Salman told him to sleep. When it was the last hours of the night, Salman told him to get up then, and both of them offered the prayer. Salman told Abu Darda’, “Your Lord has a right on you, your soul has a right on you, and your family has a right on you.” Abu Darda’ came to the Prophet and narrated the whole story. The Prophet said, “Salman has spoken the truth.”

They the Sahabah were a generation; they combined mercy and toughness, luxury and asceticism. They truly understood life, so they seized this worldly life, allocating for it only its due significance, and they gained the hereafter by striving for it. Accordingly, they were not dominated by any of the attributes of the worshippers of worldly life. Simultaneously, they were heroes of Jihad and residents of the mosques. They humbled themselves when they were masters. They combined within themselves leadership and jurisprudence, trade and politics. Their most sublime attribute is that they were servants of Allah. Therefore, you saw them humble in their prayer; they refrained from futile talk; they paid their Zakah, they lowered their gaze, they observed their trusts, they honoured their pledge, they kept their promise and they performed Jihad.

Source: Khilafah Magazine December 2000
    www.khilafah.com

(HH)

Salman Farsi, one of the greatest sahabahs of the holy prophet (pbuh) recoginized and accepted the imamat of Imam Ali (as).

After the holy prophet departed for his heavenly abode, Salman Farsi was one of the most dearest companions of the ahl-bait.

Truth shall always prevail falsehood.

Allah's (swt) blessings be upon our holy rasul (pbuh) and his sinless progeny.

Comment

nice post

Indeed, Salman Farsi was a great Sahabhi. Was also a very loyal compinions of Imam Ali (as) after the departure of Rasool ALlah (saww). May Allah grant him a very high status. Ameen.
      "And those who oppress shall see what kind of outcome overturns them." [26:227] Al-Quran

Comment

[This message has been edited by Pagluu (edited June 10, 2001).]
        "And those who oppress shall see what kind of outcome overturns them." [26:227] Al-Quran

Comment

Salaam,

Unfortunatly today there are not many examples of salman al farsi (ra) and other great sahabi's in our muslim rulers rather they would bow down to their gods the west.

Muhammed

Comment

Originally posted by muhammed kauser:
            Salaam,

Unfortunatly today there are not many examples of salman al farsi (ra) and other great sahabi's in our muslim rulers rather they would bow down to their gods the west.

Muhammed
            yes, thats true. we want to implement ISLAM but still want all the luxuries of this world. and how we want to implement ISLAM, one of other postings by Muhammed Kauser shows our constitution. subhanAllah, whata Muslim country we make..... astaghfirullah.

------------------
            We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

Salaam,

why are the rulers so fixed in their ways of following the western design of a system or government do they not see in the Qur’an and sunnah we have the best system for mankind, an example of this is chopping the hand of the thief and stoning the adulterer.

Allah (swt) has given us the khilafah system to live by so instead of working for this they are content following man made laws, as if man can legislate better then the creator of man him self, Allah (swt).

Muhammed kauser

Comment

very informative thread,

i would like to add something more to the topic regarding the advent of Promised Messiah from Hadhrat Salman Farsi's generation.
                • [62.2]He it is Who has raised among the Unlettered people a Messenger from among themselves' who recites unto them His Signs, and purifies them, and teaches them the Book and wisdom, although they were before, in manifest misguidance.
                  [62.3] And among others from among them who have not yet joined them. He is the Mighty, the Wise.

The verse signifies that the Message of the Holy Prophet was meant not only for the Arabs among whom he was raised but for all nonArabs as well, and not only for his contemporaries but also for the coming generations till the end of time.

Or the meaning may be that the Holy Prophet will be raised (metaphorically) among another people who have not yet joined his immediate followers. The reference in the verse and in a well-known saying of the Holy Prophet is to the Second Advent of the Holy Prophet in the person of the Promised Mahdi in the Latter Days.
                • Says Abu Hurairah: "One Day we were sitting with the Holy Prophet when Sura Jumu'ah was revealed. I asked the Holy Prophet, 'Who are the people to whom the words And among others from among them who have not yet joined them, refer'. Salman the Persian was sitting among us. Upon my repeatedly asking him the same question, the Prophet put his hand on Salman and said,`If Faith were to go up to the Pleiades, a man from these would surely find it' (Bukhari).
                This hadith shows that the verse applies to a man of Persian descent.

This point is further supported by other hadiths. For example: in Traditions we read that Imam Mahdi will be from Ahlay Bait. Here different books share different entities thus all ahadith, which clashes with other should be neglected and the one which supports should be encouraged. In this regard one expression which goes very well with the commentary of the above verse is a very well-known saying of the Holy Prophet(sa);“ﺐﻴﺒﻟﺍﻞﻫﺍﺎﻨﻣﻥﺎﻤﻠﺳ” i.e. "Salman is member of our Household".

So at the dusk of Islam, a man from Persia will regain the old Islamic values, and this man will be Imam Mahdi.

[This message has been edited by Zalim (edited June 13, 2001).]
                zameen tumhara kuch nahin bigar sakhtee, ger aasman say taluq pukhta ho....

Comment

Working...
                X