alcohol in food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alcohol in food

at the wedding i just attended, i was served with a cake that had liquor in it. bhai decided not to eat it at all...and i didn't either. but people tell me all the time that the alcohol is "cooked out" when the cake bakes. so what's the verdict, halal or haram?
    could i have least tasted it if not eaten the whole piece? go ahead, slander away!
    Got Gup?

chal jhooti.. bata cake kesa tha
    Saints are fine for Heaven, but they are hell on earth.

Comment

Must be nice having a wedding with alcohol and all to attend...

anyways back to the point...some people think it is OK to eat any food with alcohol extracts because the Qu'ran never said it is Haram to have alcohol. The Qu'ran said it is Haram to take in any intoxicants. Some say alcohol is an intoxicant if you take it as a drink itself. Some imams in America say even Nyquil(the nightime lets you get to sleep so you can get up in the day medicine) is halal because it is used for medicinal purposes.

Comment

Hmmmmm interesting.

I too came across the ruling that alcohol itself, meaning ethanol, is not an impure substance in itself - what is haraam is liquids that you can become intoxicated on.

The issue is further complicated by the fact that during the baking of, say, a loaf of bread, the yeast used produces alcohol that is then boiled off during the baking process.

I would personally not touch the cake, as at some point its ingredients were mixed with an impure substance, i.e. the liquor.

BUT having said that, many scholars allow vinegar, even though vinegar is originally an alcoholic drink where all the alcohol has been converted into acetic acid, which does not intoxicate.

Still, my gut feeling is that it would be best to leave the cake.

Okay, this whole posts sounds rather confused so I'll just shut up
        Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
        Al-Ghazali

Comment

Pakistan 'hooked on heroin'
          More than a million Pakistanis are thought to be addicted to heroin according to the United Nations.

Pakistan is on one of the main transit routes for heroin on the way from Afghanistan to the West. This is thought to be the main reason for the huge rise in the number of addicts.

The rate of addiction is double that of the US and growing. Most addicts are between 20 and 35 and part of Pakistan's growing middle class.

"The situation of addiction in Pakistan is worrying us very much," says Pino Arlacchi of the UN's Drug Control Programme. "Pakistan has today one and a half million heroin addicts, it is one of the largest addict populations in the developing world."

The country's position on the heroin trail is thought to bring in $1.3bn a year in revenue.

Pakistan has had success in cutting down its own heroin production, but it has been unable to stop the influx of the drug from Afghanistan.

Pakistani leaders are caught in a political problem as much of the heroin that floods into the country comes from areas of Afghanistan controlled by the Taleban, who are openly supported by the government in Islamabad.

The Taleban say they are against the growth of heroin, but are unable to do anything about it without international help.

With so many addicts and few resources the Pakistani Government is making little headway against the problem. There are some non-governmental rehabilitation centres which offer retraining, counselling and new skills.

"People want a better quality of life, but don't have access to it, that causes frustration," says Tariq Zafar who runs a rehabilitation centre.

He concedes it is a tough battle: "We want to alter that frustration, and 40 rupees worth of Heroin can literally alter your frustration for that particular moment."

Comment

Ummmm rvikz? Why is that here?
            Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
            Al-Ghazali

Comment

i think it time allow bars to open up
              in pakistan otherwise it casues more seroious problem like drug addiction

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
                i think it time allow bars to open up
                in pakistan otherwise it casues more seroious problem like drug addiction
                man ur funny what a solution....

Comment

thanx guys.

degas- i didnt eat it, i wantd to but then i got confused becuz of bhaiya and i felt it best to leave the cake alone.

lol and LOL @ rvikz!!!

Got Gup?

Comment

Originally posted by k2pk:
                    Must be nice having a wedding with alcohol and all to attend...
                    it was a christian wedding.
                    Got Gup?

Comment

Alcohol is Haram because its intoxicating and mind altering? What about the sleeping pill prescribed in the hospital or a pain medication after surgery? Is that haram too? Alcohol is present in small quantities in many foods and drugs, are all those haram? or may be we simply don't understand what God meant.

047.015 (Here is) a Parable of the Garden which the righteous are promised: in it are rivers of water incorruptible; rivers of milk of which the taste never changes; rivers of wine, a joy to those who drink; and rivers of honey pure and clear. In it there are for them all kinds of fruits; and Grace from their Lord. (Can those in such Bliss) be compared to such as shall dwell for ever in the Fire, and be given, to drink, boiling water, so that it cuts up their bowels (to pieces)?

[This message has been edited by amy (edited June 06, 2001).]

Comment

how come it is easier to get a ak-47
                        than a bootle of beer in pakistan?

Comment

Originally posted by amy:
                          [B]Alcohol is Haram because its intoxicating and mind altering? What about the sleeping pill prescribed in the hospital or a pain medication after surgery? Is that haram too? Alcohol is present in small quantities in many foods and drugs, are all those haram? or may be we simply don't understand what God meant. [B]
                          Alcohol the chemical is not forbidden. The arabic term Al-Khamr, is best translated as intoxicating liquid. Thus what is banned is anything you can get intoxicated on. For example, a simple query to Coca-Cola or Pepsi will reveal that there are tiny amounts of alcohol present in them. However, no matter how much Coke/Pepsi you drink you will never get drunk.... thus most mainstream scholars do not consider them to be forbidden.
                          (More detail at http://islam.org/dialogue/Q24.HTM )

As for medication, Islam does permit medication, even if contains forbidden ingredients, if no alternative is available. In the case of a medical condition where drugs such as sleeping pills and painkillers are required, Islam does allow their use, provided that there is no alternative then to use them.

In a similar way in which doctors would discourage sleeping pills and pain killers unless required, so does Islam.
                          Al-Ghazali

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
                            how come it is easier to get a ak-47
                            than a bootle of beer in pakistan?
                            ..how u know?? both r extremely hard to get.... and majority of people dont have any desire to get them too..

Comment

[/B][/QUOTE] i think it time allow bars to open up in pakistan otherwise it casues more seroious problem like drug addiction [/B][/QUOTE]

How convenient to say
                              so you want all our teenagers to go and have a drink?

you want to make easy access for every one to alcoholic drinks?

next thing in order to avoid prostitution people would demand strip clubs?

then seeing differences in religious sects people may demand secularism/closure of religious institutes?

guys, c'mon. if you don't beleive in Allah/God its different. but Pakistan was obtained in name of Allah "Pakistan ka matlab kia la ilaha il-Allah". you should be focused on eliminating evil from its roots instead of nourishing it.

its western way/saying that if you want people to not drink, make it available in huge amounts freely..... thats all BS. look at their own society now, President George Bush's daughter was caught trying to buy alcoholic drinks illegally!!

------------------
                              We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

Working...
                              X