"Put That on My Mastercard, Please"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Put That on My Mastercard, Please"

All praise is for Allah, we praise Him, we seek His aid, and we ask His forgiveness. We seek Allah's refuge from the evil within ourselves and from our evil actions. Whomsoever Allah guides then none can misguide him, and whomsoever Allah lets astray then none can guide him. We testify that none has the right to be worshipped except Allah alone, with no partner; and we testify that Muhammed is His slave-servant and His messenger.

"I think I'll put that on my Mastercard!" That's the thought that many Muslims may have had at recent Islamic fund-raiser dinners. 'Why?', you might ask, 'Why would a Muslim, who knows that interest (Riba) is haram, have thoughts about charging ANYTHING on a credit card?' Well read on... I recently attended a fund-raiser dinner, at which many Muslims from the D/FW area were attending. The dinner was held in a grand and quite beautiful hotel. As I entered the hotel, I noticed there were signs for various fund-raiser dinners for the evening. There were two large signs standing side by side; one for an Islamic fund-raiser, the other dinner was a fund-raiser for teen crisis pregnancy. 'Alhamdulillah', I thought, 'Muslims do not need the other type of fund-raiser. Alhamdulillah, Muslims do not act like non-Muslims, and Alhamdulillah, we do not have the multitude of problems that go along with it either.' Upon entering the dinner hall, I began looking for a place to sit down. I couldn't help but take notice while glancing through the women's section, the large number of uncovered heads among the Muslim women. I soon found myself a seat, surrounded by the nine women sitting at my table, only myself and a close friend were wearing hijab. I thought to myself, 'Don't these women know that the hijab is obligatory and it distinguishes them from the non-Muslims?' The dinner program began. The guest speaker was announced and he began his energetic speech. After a short while, as the task of raising money was underway, the guest speaker began shouting at the crowd of Muslims, "Put it on your credit card! Have something concrete to present to Allah on the Day of Judgment!" I thought to myself, 'What? What is he saying? That's like gambling in Las Vegas and using your winnings to go to hajj!' A short while ago, I discovered that charging sadaqah on credit cards is the new trend, not just at the dinner I was attending, but all over the D/FW area! I was sickened to find out that many of the Islamic communities in the D/FW area are planning to accept credit cards to build their masjids and Islamic schools!

Sitting at the dinner, I wondered if the speaker who said, "Bring something concrete to Allah on the Day of Judgment!" would be able to answer my questions: * What will you bring, O speaker? * Will you be waving your Mastercard or Visa for evidence of your sadaqah payments? * Is the action of charging on credit cards, the 'concrete action' that you plan to present to Allah (SWT) on the Day of Judgment? * Will you be ready to be leading the crowds that will follow you with their credit cards in hand?

I wanted to remind him and the others that feel this action is acceptable: Allah (SWT) has told us in the Quran [2:279] if we don't give up interest, we must take notice of a war from Allah! * Are you ready to go into battle against Allah (SWT)? * Will you and your army of feeble credit card holders be sufficient to do battle with Allah (SWT)? * How can you justify doing something haram? There is no justification for doing something haram, even if it is for sadaqah. You cannot make something halal out of something haram. These dinners also handed out pledge forms to enable donations to be paid off in interest-free monthly installments. Why then, are these Muslims who organize these dinners pushing the use of credit-cards? By promoting the use of credit cards at these fundraising dinners, you are saying to Muslims (including new Muslims) and non-Muslims alike, "Credit cards are okay! Use them!" Have we all forgotten what Allah (SWT) has taught us? 'Allah will destroy interest (riba) and will give increase for sadaqah (deeds of charity, alms, etc.) and Allah likes not the disbelieves, sinners. ' [2:76] 'O you who believe! Be afraid of Allah and give up what remains (due to you) from interest (riba) (from now onwards) if you are (really) believers. And if you do not do it, then take notice of war from Allah and His messenger ...' [2:278-279]

As the dinner ended, a ill feeling came over me. I kept seeing the women with their heads uncovered, and I kept hearing the speaker shouting, "Charge it in your credit card!" I thought about the dinner that had been going on downstairs for the teen crisis pregnancy center. I thought about the multitudes of problems that the non-Muslims face because of their lifestyle and their disobedience to Allah. Then like a knife in my heart, a final thought came to my mind: 'Are the Muslims of today really so different than the non-Muslims? 'No', I thought to myself sadly, 'I guess not'.
    http://www.islamzine.com/women/sisters.html

------------------
    "Labaik, Allahumma Labaik, Labaik La Sharika Laka Labaik, Innal Hamda Wa N'amata Laka Wal Mulk, La Sharika Lak." "Here I am at your service, O Allah, here I am. Here I am at your service and no partners do you have. Verily All Praise and All Bounty belong to you, and Yours alone is The Sovereignty. No partners do you have."
    22.1 . O mankind! Fear your Lord . Lo! the earthquake of the Hour ( of Doom ) is a tremendous thing .

I must confess, I fail to understand.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in accepting payment through credit cards or through cheques.

------------------
    They shoot partypoopers, don't they?

Comment

Hmmmm interesting. I fully agree that paying interest is haraam.

But on my Visa card, I have 56 days interest-free to make my repayment. I ALWAYS am careful to pay up by this time, hence I have never paid any interest on my credit card.

Anyone think I've done anything haraam? I'd be interested in hearing people's comments....
      Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
      Al-Ghazali

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Partypooper:
        I must confess, I fail to understand.
        There is absolutely nothing wrong in accepting payment through credit cards or through cheques.
        Mr. PP, where did anyone say there's anything wrong with cheques?
        Also, the problem lies with credit cards, as should you not have an interest-free grace period as I do, you end up paying interest on items - which the vast, vast majority of scholars feel is haraam.

Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
        Al-Ghazali

Comment

consider it a convenience fee then
          or get a good creditcard..or why not a debit card.

need more solutions?
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Maddy

I was looking at the symmetry of the situation.

I agree with you that, from the perpective of the buyer, there should be no process in which s/he gets involved in giving Riba. My point was from the perspective of the retailer, in that there is nothing wrong accepting payment through a credit card. Accepting payment through cheques is no different from accepting payment through credit cards.

------------------

Comment

Mr PP,
              The thing that then makes me uncomfortable is that a Muslim retailer may find himself in a situation where he accepts a payment knowing that it may well be a transaction in which his customer will be effectively paying with loan money subjected to riba - the shopkeeper is indirectly causing the customer to take out the riba-infused loan.

Fraudia's right...... debit card zindabad!
              Al-Ghazali

Comment

By the same token. a muslim retailer may not know that the customer is paying with cash which came as a cash advance on a credit card or a loan..so same diff.

I fail to see the retailers responsibility here at all.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Fraudz, as usual, has put it quite nicely.

------------------

Comment

Forget the Mastercard.

What about the Interest most Muslims are paying whilst purchasing a House via the traditional Mortgage avenue.

I'd love to hear the righteous views now!

Comment

sholay

The Qur'an has basically prohibited "taking" interest. Later on, when the system was cleared and relieved of this evil, "giving" interest was also condemned by the Prophet (pbuh) as is ascribed to him in a few narratives.

Similarly, because of the structure of the world economy, in general, of the present day, it may sometimes be impossible to save oneself from "paying" interest. The reason is that interest has once again been integrated into the economic structures. In such a situation, a Muslim should try his utmost to avoid "taking" interest. But giving interest on mortgages etc., because it is prohibited only as a result of the prohibition of "taking" interest, may be allowed under the circumstances.

The Learner

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mr Partypooper (edited June 10, 2001).]

Comment

Just for the record, there are a few Muslim Banks which are operating a system where interest is not charged on the loan for the purchase of the property.

I can't be bothered to go into the deatils right now, but it's not all bad.

The only difference is that they are charging more on a total calculation of initial loan than the 30% maximum profit ratio laid down in Shariah.

Comment

Originally posted by sholay:

Just for the record, there are a few Muslim Banks which are operating a system where interest is not charged on the loan for the purchase of the property.

I can't be bothered to go into the deatils right now, but it's not all bad.

The only difference is that they are charging more on a total calculation of initial loan than the 30% maximum profit ratio laid down in Shariah.
                          Sholay, I believe that I explained a number of ways of Islamic finance here. Could you please tell me if what I said here is correct, especially in regard to mortgages? I got my Islamic mortgage info from one of the websites of a bank offering an Islamic mortage.
                          Al-Ghazali

Comment

Mad Scientist

The concept is pretty correct as a number of Middle eastern Banks are operating this system.

However, the only query that I originally had with the Banks was that the excess profit on the loan should not exceed 30% and what difference would it be to an interest charge.

Being awkward as I am, I raised the question that the profit figure was in fact the interest, only with a name change and lower amount, offset at the beginning with a lower life span. Similar to a Repayment Mortgage.

Banks felt a bit awkward, but hey, if they can confirm that the excess is the profit ratio on the property, not the interset on the loan, than I accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Partypooper:
                              Similarly, because of the structure of the world economy, in general, of the present day, it may sometimes be impossible to save oneself from "paying" interest. The reason is that interest has once again been integrated into the economic structures. In such a situation, a Muslim should try his utmost to avoid "taking" interest. But giving interest on mortgages etc., because it is prohibited only as a result of the prohibition of "taking" interest, may be allowed under the circumstances.

The Learner

Hmm.... isn't one of the signs of the Day of Qiyamat coming that one cannot be free of riba?

the Day is closer than we think

Al-Ghazali

Comment

Working...
                              X