Interaction b/w non-mehram men/women

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interaction b/w non-mehram men/women

hmm, this is kind of a continuation to Hinna's post. kher, the question is... how much interaction are non-mehram men/women allowed?

Can they talk, discuss, interact just like normal friends.. or do they have to be more like reserved?

Can they jointly play a sport.. lets say tennis or badminton.. or even.. chess..?

main point being, HOW much interaction is allowed? .. whats the limit.. ?

From what I've read, it seems like almost NO interaction is allowed, unless its something business related.. !?

ammarr, there must be no idle talk between non mehram men/women.

I know its hard in school or at work but one must try to restrain from idle talk..ie what did u watch on tv?? did u see survivor? have u seen missy's new video etc etc etc

There is no free mixing (that is preventable) allowed between non-mehram men/women..so that means mixed sports is a big no no.

I'll try to get u more info on the subject.

------------------
    Surah 2 Verse 201: "And there are some who say Our Lord! Grant us good in this world and good in the hereafter and save us from the punishment of the fire."
    22.1 . O mankind! Fear your Lord . Lo! the earthquake of the Hour ( of Doom ) is a tremendous thing .

Comment

depends on what you would quantify as idle chit chat...

what one may quantify as idle chit chat other will quantify as necessary social interaction..

I have a cousin who is so apprehensive of talking to women.. because this so called restrictions..

as long as the people are covered (men and women) according to shariah they may meet in an open place and discuss things..

they may not discuss lewd issues etc. but other things are game.. it could be world issues or family issues - if the person is trustworthy.

Comment

Hina, is there any Islamic/Quranic basis for your opinion? If there is, would you mind pointing it out?

I'm willing to agree with you, but I'd like to see what the Quran says first.

Hope you can help.

Comment

I think interaction is only possible when you talk without touching or coming too plus girl has to do "parda" to see opposite. In history of Islam it is said that Sahabah (RA) used to come to Hazrat Aisha (RA) to learn Quran and Hadith. So they can interact if for good reason. Too much chit chat lead to other things and thats why it is prohibated.

------------------
          "Away from Eyes......Close to Heart"

Comment

Pilot...just gimme a day ..and I'll get the resources.

My brain is sorta running on low today.

------------------
            Surah 2 Verse 201: "And there are some who say Our Lord! Grant us good in this world and good in the hereafter and save us from the punishment of the fire."
            22.1 . O mankind! Fear your Lord . Lo! the earthquake of the Hour ( of Doom ) is a tremendous thing .

Comment

Off the top of my head I know the Quran clearly states that men and women must lower their gaze and be modest (chapter 24, verses 30 & 31) and so a person could probably base a preference to limit interaction on that, since it suggests that they are not supposed to be mixing freely and be "friends" or communicate unnecessarily etc. etc..

To get answers to your question in a complete and correct manner, please refer to a Shaikh or an Imam.

------------------

Comment

Ammarr...I found an article pertaining to Muslim Women in Sport (http://www.islamzine.com/women/women-sports.html). This should clarify some questions.

------------------
                "Labaik, Allahumma Labaik, Labaik La Sharika Laka Labaik, Innal Hamda Wa N'amata Laka Wal Mulk, La Sharika Lak." "Here I am at your service, O Allah, here I am. Here I am at your service and no partners do you have. Verily All Praise and All Bounty belong to you, and Yours alone is The Sovereignty. No partners do you have."

Comment

Hinna, thanks. It covers part of what i wanted to know.

Comment

------------------
                    "Labaik, Allahumma Labaik, Labaik La Sharika Laka Labaik, Innal Hamda Wa N'amata Laka Wal Mulk, La Sharika Lak." "Here I am at your service, O Allah, here I am. Here I am at your service and no partners do you have. Verily All Praise and All Bounty belong to you, and Yours alone is The Sovereignty. No partners do you have."

Comment

Here are some references to enforce that free mixing is not allowed:

[ The Holy Quran Sura #24 An Nur, ayah # 30 ]
                      Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity for them: and Allah is well acquainted with all that they do.

[ The Holy Quran Sura #24 An Nur, ayah # 31 ]
                      And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male attendants free of sexual desires, or small children who have no carnal of women; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards Allah in repentance, that ye may be successful.

[ Sahih Bukhari and Agreed Upon by Imaam Muslim also can be found in Riyadh-Us-Saleheen (Arabic English) vol. 2 page 792 Hadith # 1622 ]
                      Abu Huraurah (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) relates that Rasulullah(Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said a man commits adultery with his eyes when he looks at a strange (non-Mahrum) woman"

The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) categorically prohibited privacy between a man and a non related woman. He said,
                      "when a woman and man are alone Satan is the third." (Ahmad and al-Tirmidhi as being sahih)

[ Verse No. 53 of Surat al-Ahzab ]
                      (Interpretation of the meaning); "...for anything ye want, ask them from before a screen: that makes for greater purity for your hearts and for theirs..."
                      In explaining this Verse, Ibn Kathir (May Allah have mercy on him) said: "Meaning, as I forbade you to enter their rooms, I forbid you to look at them at all. If one wants to take something from a woman, one should do so without looking at her. If one wants to ask a woman for something, the same has to be done from behind a screen."

[Source]

[This message has been edited by ammarr (edited June 11, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by ammarr:
                        [ Verse No. 53 of Surat al-Ahzab ]
                        (Interpretation of the meaning); "...for anything ye want, ask them from before a screen: that makes for greater purity for your hearts and for theirs..."
                        In explaining this Verse, Ibn Kathir (May Allah have mercy on him) said: "Meaning, as I forbade you to enter their rooms, I forbid you to look at them at all. If one wants to take something from a woman, one should do so without looking at her. If one wants to ask a woman for something, the same has to be done from behind a screen."
                        [Source]

[This message has been edited by ammarr (edited June 11, 2001).]
                        This particular interpretation appears to forbid any sort of interaction between mahrem and non-mahrem persons apart from where there is no intereaction.

But in his book "The Lawful and the Prohibited in Islam" the great scholar Yusuf Al-Qaradawi describes as permissable a situation in which a woman in person serves food to guests.

A Woman's Serving Male Guests

A woman may serve her husband's guests in his presence as long as she adheres to the Islamic standards in her dress, movements, and speech. They will naturally see her and she will see them, and there is no harm in this as long as there is no danger of involvement on either side.

Al-Bukhari, Muslim, and others have reported Sahl ibn Sa'd al-Ansari as saying, Abu Usayd al-Sa'adi invited the Prophet (peace be on him) and his Companions to his wedding. The food was prepared and served by none other than his wife, Umm Usayd. She had soaked some dates in milk in a stone pot overnight. When the Prophet (peace be on him) had finished his meal, she mashed the dates and brought the drink to him.

Shaikh al-Islam Ibn Hajar commented that, "From this hadith we conclude that a woman is permitted to serve her husband and his male visitors, just as the husband is permitted to serve his wife. It is evident that her serving the visitors is allowed only if there is no fear of temptation and if she is properly dressed; if the wife is not properly dressed (as is the case with a majority of women in our time) her appearing in front of men is haram."

Source
                        Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
                        Al-Ghazali

Comment

Originally posted by mAd_ScIeNtIsT:

Shaikh al-Islam Ibn Hajar commented that, "From this hadith we conclude that a woman is permitted to serve her husband and his male visitors, just as the husband is permitted to serve his wife. It is evident that her serving the visitors is allowed only if there is no fear of temptation and if she is properly dressed; if the wife is not properly dressed (as is the case with a majority of women in our time) her appearing in front of men is haram."
                          so in conclusion, minimal interaction is allowed... and, free mixing is not allowed at all.. right?

Comment

Working...
                          X