Haram Consumption through levels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haram Consumption through levels?

A friend offers to treat everyone for eats.

(a)You know for a fact that the money that's going to be used to fill your tummy was won through gambling a couple hours earlier.

(b)you just know that generally, the person doesn't obtain money from the most honest means (i.e illegal religiously, state, or federally).

What are the religious viewpoints in these type of situations?

If you go ahead, are you consuming what may be haram, indirectly?

Indirectly or directly, the main point is that you know that the money that is going to be used was not obtained honestly. And its that knowledge that places an obligation on you. I mean good intentions do not make what is haram acceptable, and so one has to remain consistent. Consistency is also stressed in the way that what is considered haram under islamic shariah is applicable universally, in other words just because someone is not muslim and therefore not subject to the same laws, if what they do is not acceptable under islam, than a muslim cannot overlook that in the sense that they condone it-ie.find the act acceptable because it was committed by a non-muslim.

I'm just going to type out a section from Yusuf Al Qaradawi's book, The Lawful And The Prohibited in Islam.

Doubtful Things Are To Be Avoided

It is Allah's mercy to human beings that He did not leave them in ignorance concerning what is lawful and what is prohibited.

Indeed, He has made explicit what is halal and explained what is haram, as He says: '...He has explained to you what He has made haram for you....' (6:119)

Accordingly, one may do what is lawful and must avoid what is prohibited insofar as he has the choice. However, there is a grey area between the clearly halal and the clearly haram. This is the area of what is doubtful. Some people may not be able to decide whether a particular matter is permissible or forbidden; such confusion may be due either to doubtful evidence or because of doubt concerning the applicability of the text to the particular circumstance or matter in question.

In relation to such matters, Islam considers it an act of piety for the Muslim to avoid doing what is doubtful in order to stay clear of doing something haram. This is similar to what was discussed earlier concerning the blocking of the avenues which lead to what is haram. Such a cautious approach, moreover, trains the Muslim to be farsighted in planning and increases his knowledge of affairs and people. The root of this principle is the saying of the Prophet (peace be on him):

The halal is clear and the haram is clear. Between the two there are doubtful matters concerning which people do not know whether they are halal or haram. One who avoids them in order to safeguard his religion and his honor is safe, while if someone engages in a part of them he may be doing something haram, like one who grazes his animals near the hima (the grounds reserved for animals belonging to the King which are out of bounds for others' animals); it is thus quite likely that some of his animals will stray into it. Truly, every king has a hima, and the hima of Allah is what He has prohibited.
    (Reported by al-Bukhari' Muslim, and others; the narration is taken from al Tirmidhi.)
    Personally, I guess I would try to decline the offer, and explain why I wasn't able to accept it. I know, that some people sometimes say it is better to be polite than obedient, ie. especially in the matter of shaking hands with someone of the opposite gender. People tell me its okay if that person doesn't know, because if you refuse to shake their hand it may offend the person (usually it offends them even if they do know which irritates me to no end), and they say that afterwards u must go to that person and explain to them why next time there's such an occasion u'd much rather they not offer to shake hands. Hmm anyways i'm not so sure about all that, but what i'm trying to do is draw a parallel, because the situations are similar. Where you're being asked to involve yourself in something that isn't right, yet if you refuse you may cause offense to that person which also isn't right, but if its a friend i guess there should be more leeway, but if you cannot get out of it, then you must go to that person at a later time and make them aware of the fact that you cannot accept such gestures if the means are not legit.

Hope u can make sense of my bafflegab 'n that if u can, that it helps.

[This message has been edited by Girl from Quraysh (edited June 09, 2001).]

Comment

Maybe the question should be, should you keep the company of such a person?
      "A woman has got to be able to say, and not feel guilty, 'Who am I, and what do I want out of life?' She mustn't feel selfish and neurotic if she wants goals of her own, outside of husband and children"

Comment

Thanx for confirming with quotes, the notion to steer clear just to play safe in situations of doubt.

You're right about being genteel on declining, but apart from politeness obviously, I guess it is what one is declining more than who that matters. If you're saying no to something that's out and out haram, it doesn't matter where the offer is coming from. Them being someone close to you won't make it right, so leeway enough to keep principles in check, your own as well as one who offered, if it applies to him/her and their beliefs.

In fact, if it's something drastic coming from a close friend, I think it's prolly better to give em a mouthful to think about. Instead of either going with it or giving a polite thank you and let your buddy go astray.

That's a good question, aishaA, but the situation I'm assuming here is you're just faced with going with something which may not seem haram first-hand, but at another level; even though you didn't have anything to do with it directly.

A friend offering you dinner through money not obtained through halal means on their part, was just an example. But yes, in this case the question goes further towards keeping company of such a person.

How about extending that question even further, why not try to help out the person who's company you don't wanna keep?

Comment

Working...
        X