Taliban to make Hindus wear labels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taliban to make Hindus wear labels?

Check this out...now does Islam allow this kind of discrimination?
    http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/asiapc....02/index.html

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (CNN) --
    The ruling Taleban leadership in
    Afghanistan announced plans on
    Tuesday to force Hindus to wear
    identity labels on their clothing to
    differentiate them from Muslims.

A Taleban spokesman said the order
    was issued to safeguard the rights of
    Hindus so that they are not accosted
    by the religious police who ensure that
    Afghans adhere to Muslim rules.

News of the edict prompted an angry
    retort from Hindu India.

"We absolutely deplore such orders
    which patently discriminate against
    minorities," Press Trust of India quoted an unnamed Indian foreign ministry
    official as saying. "It is further evidence of the backward and unacceptable
    ideological underpinning of the Taleban."

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kandahar said
    that Mullah Omar, supreme leader of the Taleban
    government, had yet to approve the order, and it
    was unclear if it was in fact in effect.

Hindus wary of edict

Journalist Kamal Hyder told CNN that Hindus he
    had spoken with said they "do not feel discriminated against."

"Most of these Hindus ... told us that they do not see discrimination in their
    day-to-day life," he said. "They were of course apprehensive about any edict
    regarding dress code."

Under the edict, Hindu women would be required to veil themselves, as Muslim
    women do, but Hindus in Kandahar told Hyder that most of the women there do
    so already "in order to blend in."

"These people have been here for hundreds of years, and most of them were
    not having any difficulties here," Hyder said.

Hindus said they had heard radio reports about the edict but had not received
    any information from the Ministry of Virtue and Wisdom about the new rules.

Anar, an Afghan Hindu in Kabul who uses just one name, told The Associated
    Press he does not want to wear a label identifying him as Hindu.

"It will make us vulnerable and degrade our position in the society," he said.

Campaign against 'un-Islamic' segments

The Taleban, who control 95 percent of Afghanistan, have launched a campaign
    to crack down on "un-Islamic" segments of their society.

As part of that campaign, the Taleban earlier ordered all Buddhist statutes in the
    country destroyed, including two ancient stone statues of Buddha carved into a
    cliff in central Bamiyan.

There are 67 Hindu temples in Kandahar, but only one is functional, local
    officials have said.

There is no accurate count of how many Hindus live in Afghanistan but they are
    thought to number in the thousands.

------------------
    I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.

Enlightening indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by kompressor:
      Enlightening indeed.
      very.

Comment

I have not come across any such requirement from Quran or Hadith, I don't know if such an attempt is allowed in Islam.

------------------
        We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

It resembles ti Islamic Jazia Tax.

Comment

In all fairness, check out the link below:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/wor...00/1346354.stm

The BBC reports that the taleban are doing this to protect non-muslims from the Religious Police. The Police are allowed to question why you are not praying or covering yourself etc, but if you show that you are a non-muslim then under Shariah you cannot say anything to them. Non-muslims can live without persecution under Shariah Law.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolDude:
              In all fairness, check out the link below:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/wor...00/1346354.stm

The BBC reports that the taleban are doing this to protect non-muslims from the Religious Police. The Police are allowed to question why you are not praying or covering yourself etc, but if you show that you are a non-muslim then under Shariah you cannot say anything to them. Non-muslims can live without persecution under Shariah Law.

why not ID cards or a document? Why should everyone know ur religion?

Comment

Why do Hindu women have to do Purdah. Taliban should have no authority to force their religious values on others.

Comment

Why not? You're living under Shariah Rule and the states rules have to be obeyed. Just like in this country I cannot have azan coming loudly out of Mosques or I cannot chop of the hand of a thief - It is against the rules and I have to respect that.

It is commonly accepted amongst the arab world for women, regardless of religion to cover themselves. You try walking in Saudia without covering yourself properley..

All nations/religions have their own rules that they expect to be obeyed. Abortion being made Illegal in US is a good example.

[This message has been edited by CoolDude (edited May 23, 2001).]

Comment

this morning i was listening to espn sports radio and the guy was talking about this..he was comparing this act with that of hitler..its pretty pathetic if u ask me..why do these nonmuslims have to wear a piece of cloth..so extemest can spot them and kill them easily? life is not safe in afghanistan

Comment

Sheraz: if you had an islamic state - how would you protect the non-muslims from the requirements of the muslims to pray etc? remember, ID cards cost money - a lot of people can't even afford food.

Comment

cool dude if talibans are that poor then they should concentrate on getting these ppl food first..then we will think about getting id's etc..i just dont think this is a good idea..say some people hate non muslims..i guess there are ppl like that in this world right? so this is giving them clear targets

Comment

Mr Sheraz CT

So Muslims shouldn't grow beard because they can be easily identified and could be easy target? Don't think it this way.
                          If you are implementing Shariah, and you know that some people will propagate "fahaashi" by dressing un-Islamically, what would you do? At this point this may not be the situation, but we know that this would be a root cause in future, why not get rid of it in the beginning?

------------------
                          We oughta be Changez like, don't we?

Comment

Originally posted by Rani:
                            Why do Hindu women have to do Purdah. Taliban should have no authority to force their religious values on others.
                            I donít know about you Rani, but many women in Afghanistan Hindu/Sikh/Muslim choose to do Purdah. Especially the Sikh community, because they say its part of their religion also. Now I donít know about Sikhism in India, but Iím sure that the Sikhs in Afghanistan consider Purdah family honor, so do many Hindus.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Sheraz CT:
                              this morning i was listening to espn sports radio and the guy was talking about this..he was comparing this act with that of hitler..its pretty pathetic if u ask me..why do these nonmuslims have to wear a piece of cloth..so extemest can spot them and kill them easily? life is not safe in afghanistan
                              Do you know how Hindu and Sikh woman were treated in Afghanistan before the Taliban rule? Please ask me, I love to tell you.

Taliban themselves are poor, why dont the Hindu country India provide for these people since it is providing weapsons to Ahmed Shah Masssod to fight against Taliban? They can use that money to help them.

------------------
                              *We are the Taleban-Resistance is Futile*
                              Sin: Osama Bin Junior

Comment

Working...
                              X