Yo Maaan!!! Peace Alaikum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yo Maaan!!! Peace Alaikum

A certain group of people use this word "Peace" for greeting each other when they meet. It's a cool style of saying "Hello" as far as I know and they make different signs with their fingers while saying it.

I was just wondering if we could say "Peace Alaikum".

Ooops

Moderators!! Please move it to Religion Forum.

Comment

Peace Alaikum to you too!

------------------
      Your future depends on your dreams...so go to sleep!
      :hula: :hula: :hula: and more :hula:

Comment

I meant Islamically, can we say Peace Alaikum instead of Assalam o Alaikum?

Asma, is that hula line dancing ?

Comment

That sounds so wrong.
          A samurai bares no sign of weakness, even when dying of hunger.

Comment

Originally posted by khan_sahib:
            A certain group of people use this word "Peace" for greeting each other when they meet. It's a cool style of saying "Hello" as far as I know and they make different signs with their fingers while saying it.

I was just wondering if we could say "Peace Alaikum".

Ok maybe your mistakened people don't say Peace for hello, instead its used for good bye, atleast in the US. Although it does sounds wierd to say Peace Alaikum, I think it should not be such a big deal for you to say it. Muslims from different places, say different things to signify a greeting and I'd like to think that one more variation can be acommadated.

------------------
            "Wande Pheran"

Comment

Isn't it supposed to be:

THE Peace Alaykum rather than just peace alaykum, where the word 'the' makes the subject into a proper noun pointing to the peace of Islam rather than just peace. I don't know, but I guess I'll stick to the arabic language meself!

------------------
              "None of you truly believe until you love for your brother what you love for yourself."

Comment

cat-woman, why it sounds wrong?

Originally posted by Ali Kashmiri:

Ok maybe your mistakened people don't say Peace for hello, ............. Muslims from different places, say different things to signify a greeting and I'd like to think that one more variation can be acommadated.
                What do you mean by my people?

Could you elaborate on Muslims from different people say different things

mushi, I know I would stick to my Arabic one as well but just out of curiousity do you think it can be replaced by Assalam o Alaikum?

Same goes for ASA, ASKM, AA normally used in the chat or emails nowadays.

Comment

that does sound wrong!! n wat is wrong wid Aslam-o-alaikum?
                  why change it to peace alaikum? if everything in islam is arabic n thats how it has been since islam started, for the last 1400 years.
                  aaslam-o-alaikum does mean peace n blessings be upon you. just because some muslims live in countries where english is the official language that doesn't mean change ur greetings!!

does that mean all the other muslims living in non arabic speaking countries sould change it in their language????
                  eg: in urdu aman alaikum??

it sounds wrong n should not be change in to peace alaikum!!
                  (thats my opinion...)

[This message has been edited by Bismah (edited May 27, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by khan_sahib:
                    [B]

What do you mean by my people?

Could you elaborate on Muslims from different people say different things

B]
                    Your people implies that your from UK not the US. My perspective comes from American Muslims.

As for Muslims from different places say different things to signify goodbye including:
                    -Khuda Hafiz
                    -Allah Hafiz
                    -Fe Aman Allah
                    - Khuda da Mal Sha
                    - Ma' Salaama

Well you get the idea. I believe all of the "sayings" either invoke God or Peace and thats what really matters.

------------------
                    "Wande Pheran"

Comment

Originally posted by Ali Kashmiri:
                      As for Muslims from different places say different things to signify goodbye including:
                      -Khuda Hafiz
                      -Allah Hafiz
                      -Fe Aman Allah
                      - Khuda da Mal Sha
                      - Ma' Salaama

Well you get the idea. I believe all of the "sayings" either invoke God or Peace and thats what really matters.

I have never heard first 4 as a greeting instead of saying Hello. They are rather used in place of Good Bye. Yet, I believe none of them can replace Assalam o Alaikum.

Comment

My, what a ridiculous topic!!
                        Khan_sahib can't you come up with more intelligent questions to ask on this forum??

Comment

Why is that a ridiculous topic?

I thought it was a pretty serious topic in a light manner. Many people tend to use some other words instead of Assalam o Alaikum to greet their brothers/sisters and I thought that was wrong so I started this topic to create awareness.

Is that wrong?

Comment

so instead of saying wa-alaykum-salaam we could say

and alaykum peace?

so peace alakum and alaykum peace?

Comment

As you seem to be asking in sincerity,

I recommend you read the following,

It has been narrated by Saalim that the Holy Prophet said, "He who says Assalaamu Alaikum (Peace be upon you) ten rewards are written down for him, and he who says Assalaamu Alaikum wa rahmatullah (Peace be upon you and Allah’s mercy) for him twenty rewards are written down and he who says Assalaamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh (Peace be upon you and Allah’s mercy and blessing) thirty rewards are written down (for him)."

In support of this Hadith we find a narration by Ibn Umar in Musannaf-Abdul-Razzak; It has been narrated in this Hadith that a person came in the presence of the Holy Prophet and said, "Assalamu Alaikum." The Holy Prophet replied, "Ten." Then a second Sahabi came and said, "Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullah." The Holy Prophet replied, "Twenty." Then a third Sahabi arrived and said, "Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh." Upon this the Holy Prophetsaid, "Thirty." That is to say upon three words thirty rewards will be written down.

Abu Yala narrates from Hazrat Abu Hurairah that the Holy Prophet said, "When anyone of you decides to offer salaam he should say ‘Assalaamu Alaikum’, because Allah, the most Glorious and Eminent one is As-salaam, for this reason do not commence with anything before saying Allah’s name."

Though it may not seem there is anything inherently wrong with the greeting in your query. I question the motives behind your query, I mean the comparison with another group of people doesn't impress me at all nor the fact that using the word 'peace' in greeting is considered by some as a 'cool style' of saying hello. Aren't we told to imitate the manner of the Prophet (saw), his companions, and spend time in the company of people who strive for deen, so that we also may become like them?

Comment

Working...
                              X