Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shia/Sunni names

Salaam,

I have been told that I have a very Shia name throughout my life. I have had a lot of Shia friends and I learnt that certain names are very common. I regard myself as having a Muslim name and find it quite strange when people assume i'm Shia when I tell them my name!! There is nothing wrong with them thinking i'm Shia, but the basic thinking behind separating the 2 sects as much as possible I don't agree with. We are all muslims at the end of the day.

Have you guys had any experiences like this?

Simple reason is that sunni carries same respect for all Shahabas so the would commonly have names like Ali, Hasan, Hussein, Abbas, Jafar etc. On the other hand shias bear great grudge and hate against most sahabas and will never have names like Bakr, umer, Uthman, Aisha, Talha etc.
    So somebody with the name of "Ali" or "Husain" can be either be shia or sunni but someone with name of "Umer" or 'Aisha" can never be a shia, rest assured.

[This message has been edited by analyze it (edited May 23, 2001).]

Comment

Your drawing a lot of assumptions there 'analyze it'. There are divisions within shiaism and the majority (that I know of) don't have hate for the Sahabas (although they may not agree with all their actions). Some of the more ignorant Shias do.

Comment

dude i think analyze it is right this time...for a change

there are many reasons why shia's hate these people..if some people are not very open about it does not mean they like them

but anyways its true no shia will have the name of umar usman aisha etc

Comment

hate is a very strong word. If you're going to make comments about Shias in general then I would choose your words carefully. However, if these are your thoughts alone then feel free to say what you wish

Comment

Originally posted by Sheraz CT:
            dude i think analyze it is right this time...for a change

there are many reasons why shia's hate these people..if some people are not very open about it does not mean they like them

but anyways its true no shia will have the name of umar usman aisha etc
            Well Hate is the strong word but is the RIGHT WORD from us to them all.

Comment

DEAR WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE NAME "YAZEED"""
              HE WAS SON OF " MAWYAA""""
              WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT IT????????????????

Comment

well cool dude, you see that two shias have just agreed to the use of word "Hate" here.
                you may use a mild adjective but it would not change the feelings against sahabas.
                I don't think there is any subsect of shia with Some Respect for shabas as stated by farhina. Since you are searching for truth, search and let me know.
                I don't think I have ever seen anybody in my life with the name of Yazeed or Muawya so this is a wasted issue. There is no controversy about it that nobody likes these personalities but I have seen hundreds of thousands of muslims with names like Bakr, Umer and Aisha, whether you like it or not.

I can die in peace now that sheraz has agreed on something.(even for a change)

[This message has been edited by analyze it (edited May 23, 2001).]

Comment

Brothers I have collected some historical facts about names in my thread called
                  "How much Hadrat Ali (Radi Allah an hu)loved....three Caliphs
                  Do read that....hope would be some addition to your knowledge

Comment

This is worrying. What sect of Shia are you?

Comment

Bro I am a Sunni.......
                      Originally posted by CoolDude:
                      This is worrying. What sect of Shia are you?

Comment

I'm talking about Sheraz and analyze it. They said that they hate some of the sahaba. Those are strong words which I don't hear from the Shias that I know.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolDude:
                          I'm talking about Sheraz and analyze it. They said that they hate some of the sahaba. Those are strong words which I don't hear from the Shias that I know.
                          ============================================

Cool Dude: I never said I hate sahabas and I never said that I am shia. I respect both shias and sunnis but differ with both on many issues. I merely referred to shias replies to your query stating that ALL shias hate most sahabas and it is a fact, not that it is right or wrong.

Comment

aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

yes its true shia's hate some sahabas..they dont hate them cuz they looked ugly or anything...who knows maybe they were but anyways..

we all love Prophet Mohummad the most..if someone can hurt His nobel family then we have the right to hate that person

you all agree that aisha fought with Imam Ali..you all agree that not a single person from Prophets family is burried next to him..you all agree that abu bakr hurt Bibi Fatima's feelings..but u still respect them all..its hard for us to do that..sorry

[This message has been edited by Girl from Quraysh (edited May 24, 2001).]

Comment

Sheraz says: "yes its true shia's HATE some sahabas..they dont hate them cuz they looked ugly or anything... WHO KNOWS MAYBE THEY WERE but anyways.."
                              • no doubt sheraz and co. all of your posts (as always) smells very necrotic. haven’t seen any shia appreciating any of the sahabas… this reminds me of an incidence once hadhrat ali(ra) was passing by a crowd, he saw a dead donkey, everyone around was picking up that dead stinky stuff… some says its smell like hell, some says it make him sick to the stomach and so… Hadhrat ali(ra) on hearing such talks says look at his teeths, even after death how beautiful and glittering they look...

Moral of the story is, have you picked up any good quality from that pious personality or you just follow those surrounding the donkey... your slogan that you are dedicated following hadhrat ali(ra) is indeed very fake.
                              Sheraz says: "we all love Prophet Mohummad the most..if someone can hurt His nobel family then we have the RIGHT TO HATE that person"
                              • and may I ask who gave you the RIGHT to “HATE” sahaba? i guess no one except your upbringing or perhaps its genetic.

please stop this melodrama, you were not there, all you have heard is from your hated-preaching ancestors… now with the passage of time the condition of your creed is that you even don’t have the capacity to differentiate right from wrong… Don’t you think there is one might Allah who still talks, why are you afraid of asking him the true path… how insane of you…

PS: analyze-it, i read your reply addressed to me on the other thread… i will answer it as time permits. thankyou.

[This message has been edited by Zalim (edited May 25, 2001).]
                              zameen tumhara kuch nahin bigar sakhtee, ger aasman say taluq pukhta ho....

Comment

Working...
                              X