Start of Sects In Islam.......When?

I am interested to know the start of most major sects...like
    Sunnis...
    Shias....
    Wahabis...
    Deobandis...
    Salafis....
    etc...
    ...as there wasn't any sect in Prophet's(peace be upon him and his family) time, so there would definately be a starting point for all of them...a group or an individual
    and when each of them started
    please don't paste long articles....divide your answer in short posts

does the word "sunni" "shia" appear
    in holy book?

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
      in holy book?
      Naah I dont think so....even if they do they'll be in different context.

The differences between sects are post revelation

Comment

AoA

In the words of Justice Hidayatullah (Mohammadan Law 16th edition page 12 and 13)

"The election in fact took place when the household of the Prophet (including Ali) was engaged in obsequies... The election led to the great schism between the Sunnis and the Shias"

"At Kerbala Hussain died fighting after suffering great privation. The rift between the Sunnis and Shias became very great thereafter."

In the words of Justice Baburam Verma (Mohammaden Law 1968 page 75)

"One of the most momentuous problems in Islamic history arose as to the right of succession to Mohammad immediately after his death. The events that followed marked the division in the Muslim world into the great factions of Shia and Sunnis.... The differences sice the time of AbuBakr continued to increase till they culminated in the murder of Hussain and made the breach final."

Wahabis and Salafis according to my information are the same thing and they arose in the 1800s (I think). They are called Wahabis because they are the followers of Abdul Wahab ( I hope I got the name right... well the last name is Wahab)

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
          in holy book?

there is a term shia in quran several times....http://www.al-islam.org/encyclopedia/chapter1b/13.html
          "And those who oppress shall see what kind of outcome overturns them." [26:227] Al-Quran

Comment

From Lashker-e-Abbas' post
            It seems to me that Sunnis and Shias were divided in Hadrat Abu Bakr's(radi Allah anhu) time
            if so then what was the conflict.....who was on whos side, i mean some Great names in Sehabas'(radi allah anhum) rows

Comment

From the top of my head I can name, Hazrat Salman-e-Farsi (Salman the Persian)
              and Hazrat Ammar-e-Yasir

About Hazrat Ammar-e-Yasir, the Prophet had said that he will always side with the Truth.

I'll get the other Sahabis for you.

Comment

Here you go, with some hadiths about the virtues of these companions.

====================
                Abu Dhar al-Ghifari
                ====================

The Holy Prophet said concerning Abu Dhar al-Ghifari that

"Heaven has not shaded, nor has the earth carried a person more
                straight forward than Abu Dhar. He walks on earth with the
                immaterialistic attitude of Jesus, the son of Mary."

Sunni references:
                - Sahih al-Tirmidhi, v5, p334, Tradition #3889
                - Tahdhib al-Athar, v4, pp 158-161
                - Musnad Ahmad Hanbal, #6519, #6630, #7078
                - al-Mustadrak, by al-Hakim, v3, p342
                - al-Tabaqat, by Ibn Sa'd, v4, part 1, pp 167-168
                - Majma' al-Zawa'id, by al-Haythami, v9, pp 329-330

===============
                Ammar Ibn Yasir
                ===============

The Holy Prophet had told Ammar Ibn Yasir along with his parents that:

"Family of Yasir, be patient, for your destination is paradise,"

Sunni Reference: Sahih al-Tirmidhi, v5, p233,

The Holy Prophet also told him that

"Ammar be cheerful, the aggressor party shall kill you."

Sunni references:
                - al-Mustadrak, by al-Hakim, v3, p383
                - Sahih Muslim, English version, v4, chapter MCCV, Traditions #6968& #6970

The English translator of Sahih Muslim (Abdul Hamid Siddiqui) has written
                in the footnote of the above traditions that:

This narration is clearly indicative of the fact that in the conflict
                between Hadrat Ali and his opponents, Hadrat Ali was on the right as
                Ammar Ibn Yasir was killed in the Battle of Siffin fighting in the
                camp of Hadrat Ali. (Footnote of Sahih Muslim, English version, v4,
                p1508).

======================
                al-Miqdad Ibn al-Aswad
                ======================

He is among the four men whom the Prophet (PBUH&HF) was commanded to love,
                as the Prophet said:

"God commanded me to love four, and He informed me that he loves them.
                People asked him: Messenger of God who are they? He said: Ali is from
                them ( repeating that three times ). And Abu Tharr and Salman and al-
                Miqdad."

Sunni reference: Sunan ibn Majah, v1 p53 Hadith 149

The Messenger of Allah also said:

"Every prophet was given by God seven righteous companions. I was
                given fourteen righteous companions". He included in them Ali, al-
                Hasan, al-Husain, Hamza, Ja'far, Ammar Ibn Yasir, Abu Dhar, Miqdad,
                and Salman.

Sunni references:
                - Fada'il al-Sahaba, by Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, v2, Traditions #109, #277
                - Sahih al-Tirmidhi, v5, p329, p662
                - Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, v1, pp88,148,149 from several chain of narrators
                - al-Kabir, by al-Tabarani, v6, p264, p265
                - Hilyatul Awliya', by Abu Nu'aym, v1, p128

===============
                Salman al-Farsi
                ===============

Concerning him, the Messenger of Allah (PBUH&HF) said that

"Paradise longs for three men, Ali, Ammar and Salman."

Sunni reference: Sahih al-Tirmidhi, v5, p332, Tradition #3884

=========
                Ibn Abbas
                =========

He was the person about whom the Prophet (PBUH&HF) said:

"God I ask Thee to teach him the interpretation and make him
                knowledgeable in religion and make him from the people of belief."

Sunni reference: al-Mustadrak, by al-Hakim, v3, p536

Comment

Still I am unable to name an Individual or a group which could be named starter of these sects....
                  I have read somewhere that Shia sect seperated from mainstream in Hadrat Abu-Bakr's (Radi Allah un hu) time but emerged in Hadrat Ali's (Radi Allah anhu) time and got recognised in Caliph Haroon-Ur-Rashid's time as a seperate sect......Can anybody add more...
                  And Bro Lashker-e-Abbas....there is a long list of great Sehabas who were beloved of Prophet(peace be upon him and his family)and were foretold about going into heaven in their life..who got Shaheed on both sides in Battle of Saffain..they wern't just in Hadrat Ali's(Radi Allah an hu) camp

Comment

DIFFERENT SECTS STARTED AT DIFFERENT PERIODS OF TIME, HOWEVER THE FIRST MAJOR SECT WAS THE SHI'ITE AND SUNNI SPLIT.

HOWEVER THE ACTUAL NAMES, SUNNI AND SHI'ITE, WERE NOT 'INVENTED' UNTIL AT LEAST A CENTURY AFTER THE HOLY PROPHET, AND HAVE BEEN GIVEN DIFFERENT MEANINGS AT DIFFERENT TIMES.

THE SPLIT STARTED AT THE DEATH OF THE PROPHET AND WAS HOTLY CONTESTED AND CREATED AT THE TIME OF THE FIRST CALIPHATE.

AFTER THIS THE 4 SCHOOLS OF THOUGHT WERE SET UP (HANAFI, MALIKI, SHA'AFI AND HANBALI. THEN OTHER SECTS HAVE BEEN CREATED I.E. ISHMAELI'S, BHORA'S, AHMADI'S, 5 PERCENTAS, NATION OF ISLAM, NIZARIS, DRUZE, ALAWIS, BAHAI'S, WAHABI'S ETC.

WAHABI, STEMS FROM A MAN CALLED ABDUL WAHAB FROM THE 18TH CENTURY WHO APPROACHED THE HOUSE OF SAUD AND STATED THAT HE FOLLOWED THE HANBALI SCHOOL OF THOUGHT, WHICH THEY LIKED, BUT WAS DEFEATED FOR 10 YEARS AND THEN REINSTATED IN 1901 ETC. ETC. ( DIARY NOTES HAVE BEEN DISCOVERD AND STORED IN TURKEY WHICH CONFIRM THAT THIS WAS A DEEPER ISSUE THAN THOUGHT AS THE BRITISH SECRET SERVICE WAS INVOLVED IN THE RECRUITMENT OF ABDUL WAHAB ETC ETC) HAS NOT BEEN OPPOSED OR REBUTALED AS YET.

THE REAL FACT REMAINS THAT AT NO TIME DID THE SAHAABA OR TA'ABEEN BELONG TO ANY SECT OR SCHOOL OF THOUGHT.

OUR FIRST SOURCE OF GUIDANCE IS THE QUR'AAN, AND THEN, SECONDLY, THE MOST AUTHENTIC A'HAADITH. THIS CAN BE VALIDATED BY THE FACT THAT WE ARE ORDERED TO WORSHIP OUR LORD AND PRAY TO HIM (SALAAT) MORE THAN 70 TIMES IN THE QUR'AAN. BUT AT NO TIME ARE WE TOLD HOW TO PRAY. THIS IS SOMETHING WE LEARN FROM THE A'HADITH. SIMPLE LOGIC.

SUNNI'S HAVE CERTAIN A'HADEETHS AND SHI'ITES HAVE CERTAIN A'HADEETHS.

CERTAIN PROMINENT ULAMA HAVE MADE GREAT EFFORTS TO BRING SHI'ITES AND SUNNIS TOGETHER BY ENCOURAGING RATIONAL DIALOGUE AND MUTUAL UNDERSTANDING IN PLACE OF THE POPULARISED EMOTION THAT HAS OFTEN BEEN ROUSED BY EXTERNAL ENEMIES TO DIVIDE MUSLIMS.

I MENTION THIS, AS TWO THESE ARE THE LARGEST OF ALL THE SECTS IN ISLAM AND HAVE THE LARGEST DISPUTES WITHIN ISLAM, WHICH BY THE WAY, CAME TO A PEAK DURING THE SAFAVID AND OTTOMAN EMPIRES.

FINALLY, NOWADAYS, YOU'VE GOT SECTS OF SOME SORT, ARISING AT DIFFERENT MASJIDS LET ALONE COUNTRY'S.

Comment

It means that Sunni sect was the mainstream and all other sects were seperated from this sect.....although the names were given a bit late......
                      does anybody know...who were those people who refused to pay Zaka in Hadrat AbuBakr's (Radi Allah anhu)time and he had a big fight with them

Comment

Islam was revealed to us through Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) and was completed when the final ayat of Quran came down. After Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) passed away, that was the end of the sunnah of the Prophet. Anybody who follows anything different is following events that happened AFTER Islam was completed.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolDude:
                          Anybody who follows anything different is following events that happened AFTER Islam was completed.
                          exactly, like making abbu jee the khalifa when he knew nothing....

"And those who oppress shall see what kind of outcome overturns them." [26:227] Al-Quran

Comment

Originally posted by CoolDude:
                            Islam was revealed to us through Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) and was completed when the final ayat of Quran came down. After Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) passed away, that was the end of the sunnah of the Prophet. Anybody who follows anything different is following events that happened AFTER Islam was completed.
                            Well said bro...

Every group claims to be the follower of "teachings of mohammed and koran" but is that really so? No. Most often the teachings they are following have flaws in them, they are fabricated by the monks of darbarrs and peers in order to achive their polictical status in the local population - Ignorant public believes them because they wear white cloths "oh just like Mohammed use to..." and they fail to realize the background effect they are suffering from. This kind of illusion was present in the past just like it is today, and for the most part this led to the division of "local" muslims into sects and eventually over time developing into something with millions of followers - whos' practice of Islam is very contradictory to the real teachings of Islam found in Koran and Ahadeeths books.

[This message has been edited by Pakistani Guy (edited May 21, 2001).]

Comment

Bros....Plesase don't slip from the topic
                              I am looking for the facts about the start..
                              So far it seems that Shia and Sunnis were the most first Sects...what seperated them...how it happened...why happened

Comment

Working...
                              X