Define Salat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Define Salat

Can someone please define the word "salat" or "salaat".

I would like to know what it means in Arabic and then translated to English.

Thank you.

salat=prayer

It doesnt have any covert meaning, which i believe is what you had in mind when u asked the question. Its literal meaning is prayer..not submission, not humility, not prostration...just prayer...You can equate it to namaz and dua in urdu.

Comment

The Qur’an has used the term ‘Sala’h’ as something known to its direct addressees. There is clear evidence in the pre-Islamic Arabic poetry that the Arabs used the word Sala’h for prayer, supplication and a form of worship.

This was expounded upon in ‘Tareekh al-Tashree` al-Islami’ by Muhammad Al-Khudhriy (Pg. 41) and to ‘Al-Mufassal fi Tareekh al-Arab Qabl al-Islam’ by Doctor Jawwaad Ali (Vol. 6, Pg. 337).

It may be of interest to know that Dr. Zakir Naik, of the Islamic Research Foundation in Mumbai, prefers to describe the usage of the term "Salaat" as "spiritually programming" the human mind, as opposed to "ritual prayer".

I hope this helps. Although I suspect that you may already have known that.

------------------
      They shoot partypoopers, don't they?

[This message has been edited by Mr Partypooper (edited May 10, 2001).]

Comment

Can anyone provide a definition from an Arabic dictionary?

Comment

Salaah (pl. Salawaat) term referred to specific supplications and actions, correctly understood as prayers. The Muslims are required to perfom five daily prayers. It is one of the five pillars of Islaam.

Glossary of Technical Terms

Comment

Originally posted by Akif:
            salat=prayer

It doesnt have any covert meaning, which i believe is what you had in mind when u asked the question. Its literal meaning is prayer..not submission, not humility, not prostration...just prayer...You can equate it to namaz and dua in urdu.
            hmmmm bohat ghuma phira kay sawal karti heiN

Salat == Prayer

Salat is like a name given to the actions we perfom i.e. bow or prostrate (in prayer)

Surah Al Baqra (2) Verse 125

Remember We made the house a place of assembly for men and a place of safety; and take ye the station of Abraham as a place of prayer; and We covenanted with Abraham and Isma`il that they should sanctify My House for those who compass it round or use it as a retreat or bow or prostrate themselves (therein in prayer).

Comment

Answer: - Salat comes from the Arabic Word Sila`. The word Sila means connection. In Salat we have a connection with our Lord. Our state in Salat is when we are talking to our Lord. And our state while reading Quran is when our Lord is talking to us. -

In addition to that, When we are reciting our Surah Fateh in Salat, Allah replies to us after each Ayah of that Surah as told to us by our beloved Prophet of Allah peace be upon him.

------------------
              And with Allaah lies all success and may Allaah send prayers and salutations upon our Prophet (sal-Allaahu
              `alayhe wa sallam) and his family and his companions.

Comment

Thanks wrapper,

What about the other Surah that we recite during Salat?

Comment

Dr. Zakir Naik rocks... he gave a lecture at our university once... absolutely brilliant.

-mehndi

Originally posted by Mr Partypooper:
                  The Qur’an has used the term ‘Sala’h’ as something known to its direct addressees. There is clear evidence in the pre-Islamic Arabic poetry that the Arabs used the word Sala’h for prayer, supplication and a form of worship.

This was expounded upon in ‘Tareekh al-Tashree` al-Islami’ by Muhammad Al-Khudhriy (Pg. 41) and to ‘Al-Mufassal fi Tareekh al-Arab Qabl al-Islam’ by Doctor Jawwaad Ali (Vol. 6, Pg. 337).

It may be of interest to know that Dr. Zakir Naik, of the Islamic Research Foundation in Mumbai, prefers to describe the usage of the term "Salaat" as "spiritually programming" the human mind, as opposed to "ritual prayer".

I hope this helps. Although I suspect that you may already have known that.

Comment

My apologies in the delay in my response. It is so difficult to find an appropriate classical arabic dictionary on the web. I couldn't find one but I eventually got this through a dear friend:

Ibn Al-Atheer in his highly acknowledged dictionary of the Arabic language, ‘Al-Nihaayah fi Ghareeb al-Athar’ has explained “Sala’h” as follows:
                    • ‘Al-Sala’h’ and ‘Al-Salawaat’: used for a particular kind of worship. Its literal origin is supplication (prayer). Sometimes, ‘Sala’h’ is referred to by mentioning any one or more of its parts. It is also said that the literal origin of the word is ‘to glorify’ and the particular worship is called ‘Sala’h’, because it entails the glorification of the Lord.

I hope this helps.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mr Partypooper (edited May 20, 2001).]

Comment

Does anybody know how to get an classical arabic dictionary on CD?

------------------

Comment

Working...
                      X