Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Celebrating Birthdays is Not allowed.

Assalam-0-Elaikum:-

I believe that there is a need for putting this article because so many muslims I know celebrate birthdays. May Allah guide me to the truth and you all too. Ameen. And make us stay away from all these innovated things like birthdays. Ameen.

Question:

what is the evidence on celebrating birthdays,is it allowed in islam?

Answer:

The evidence in the Qur’aan and Sunnah indicates that celebrating birthdays is a kind of bid’ah or innovation in religion, which has no basis in the pure sharee’ah. It is not permitted to accept invitations to birthday celebrations, because this involves supporting and encouraging bid’ah. Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Or have they partners with Allaah (false gods) who have instituted for them a religion which Allaah has not allowed…?” [al-Shoora 42:21]

“Then We have put you (O Muhammad) on a plain way of (Our) commandment. So follow that, and follow not the desires of those who know not. Verily, they can avail you nothing against Allaah (if He wants to puish you). Verily, the zaalimoon (wrongdoers) are awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) to one another, but Allaah is the Wali (Protector, Helper) of the muttaqoon (pious).” [al-Jaathiyah 45:18-19]

“Follow what has been sent down unto you from your Lord, and follow not any awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) besides Him. Little do you remember!” [al-A’raaf 7:3]

According to saheeh reports, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does something that is a not part of this matter of ours (i.e., Islam) will have it rejected” (reported by Muslim in his Saheeh); and “The best of speech is the Book of Allaah and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The most evil of things are those which have been newly invented (in religion), and every innovation is a going astray.” There are many other ahaadeeth that convey the same meaning.

Besides being bid’ah and having no basis in sharee’ah, these birthday celebrations also involve imitation of the Jews and Christians in their birthday celebrations. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, warning us against following their ways and traditions: “You would follow the ways of those who came before you step by step, to such an extent that if they were to enter a lizard’s hole, you would enter it too.” They said, “O Messenger of Allaah, (do you mean) the Jews and Christians?” He said, “Who else?” (Reported by al-Bukhaari and Muslim). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.”(/font>

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 1/115 (www.islam-qa.com)
    http://216.205.122.233/index.php?ln=...browse&QR=1027

If celebrating birthdays for muslims is not allowed, will it be allowed to celebrate birthday of Prophet Muhammad?

Comment

An interesting fact, however is that birthdays – whether our own or our loved one’s – are a great occasion to remind ourselves of the numerous and the priceless blessings of our Creator on us. It is, indeed, a great occasion of expressing our gratitude towards our Lord. Thus, a birthday would be celebrated -- in the real sense of the word -- with our sincere expression of heartfelt gratitude towards the ultimate source of all the blessings that we enjoy in life. The Prophet (pbuh) has taught us to fast, offer nawaafil [i.e. non-obligatory prayers], or give charity as an expression of our gratitude towards the Almighty.

Wouldn’t it be nice if we were to add this particular aspect of celebration in our birthdays too?

------------------
      They shoot partypoopers, don't they?

Comment

I have put the link to the above fatwah. It is fully in accordance with Quran and Sunnah . But it is totally up to you to follow them or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Partypooper:
          The Prophet (pbuh) has taught us to fast, offer nawaafil [i.e. non-obligatory prayers], or give charity as an expression of our gratitude towards the Almighty.

Wouldn’t it be nice if we were to add this particular aspect of celebration in our birthdays too?

nice thought, altho this is what most ppl miss when trying to strain a fatwa against such activities.

Comment

Originally posted by X_Communist:

nice thought, altho this is what most ppl miss when trying to strain a fatwa against such activities.

so what do u think is true.. ? u agree with the fatwah or the person u quoted?

Comment

The problem with most of the fatwas is that they come from hard core quarters. While disallowing something one needs to provide an alternative which is never the case. Now birthdays unlike Holloween or Valentine's day is not a pagan custom. Neither has it anything to do with Christianity. It is like celebrating Bismillah or Ameens in our countries. The only thing different that we as muslims need to do is thank Allah for the joyous occasion by praying and giving Sadaqah or Khairat. Making someone feel happy is not unislamic and even smiling at your brother or sister (in Islam) is charity (Hadith).
              I think we need to be less uptight about certain aspects of Islam.

Comment

Working...
              X