A question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question

Okay this might be a stupid question but I was asked "Why can a muslim guy marry a non-muslim girl and its alright but if a girl wants to marry a man who is not a muslim it is not possible, eventhough the guy wants to convert?" I felt bad because as a muslim I could not answer this question...so please can anyone tell me the answer?

If a guy embraces Islam, BEFORE marrying the muslim girl, it is fine and is permissible.

Comment

well its actually not too hard to explain for next time, just have to keep tact in mind and not to insult anyone...first off, muslim men can only marry practicing people of the book(jews and christans) and also have to raise the childern as muslims...one reason may be because during the prophets(SWT) time when they married other nonmuslim women, then they forged alliances and links with marriage...

plus, it is harder for women to marry a nonmuslim and keep the children muslim in our society

Comment

YUSUFALI: Do not marry unbelieving women (idolaters), until they believe: A slave woman who believes is better than an unbelieving woman, even though she allures you. Nor marry (your girls) to unbelievers until they believe: A man slave who believes is better than an unbeliever, even though he allures you. Unbelievers do (but) beckon you to the Fire. But Allah beckons by His Grace to the Garden (of bliss) and forgiveness, and makes His Signs clear to mankind: That they may celebrate His praise.

The above ayah is a translation of Surah Baqarah, Ayah 221.

I urge you all to kindly read the 'translation' of Quran along with the ARabic part. !! please

Comment

It is correct that a Muslim man can marry a woman from among the people of the book. I think the wisdom behind it could be as when she will experience that Muslims do respects all of her prophets and do not differentiate among them, that way she may get close to Islam or may become Muslim.

On the other hand, if a woman marry a man from among the people of the book, she will have hard time, as those people do not have any respect for Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) and the family may insult her Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). This will lead to an unsuccessful marriage. So this could be the wisdom behind this.

Mastana quoted a Quranic verse which says not to marry unbelievers. Here unbelievers are 'mushriqeens' (polytheiest), I think so, if you read the verse in Arabic. Sometimes the English translation do not do proper justice and we need to examine the ayah in detail. Also we should not take just one ayah/ayat of the Quran and follow it, we need to follow and understand the Qur'an as a whole.

I would also like to remind that Allah says in the Qur'an something like this that most of people of the book are unbelievers and few of them are believers/good. So one should also consider this ayah, while considering to marry a christian or a jewish woman.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Comment

Working...
            X