Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you can't take Mohamed to the mountain...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you can't take Mohamed to the mountain...

...take the mountain to Mohamed.

I'm sure all of you have come across one version or another of this saying. While it doesn't seem to be very complimentary, more sarcastic to be precise; I wanted to know the idea behind this phrase, ie. where it originated, its author, what was it that initiated it, the message it's conveying, etc.,etc..

Meray khiyaal mein iska matlab hay kay since hazoor (sww) was allah's mahboob and and so hard was his commitment to his prayers that if for some reason he couldn't visit the ghar-e-Hira then the mountain would've came flown to hazoor by itself.

Masha allah. Jisnay bhee gurhaa, acha gurhaa. Itnay pyara nabbi hay humaray phir bhee yeh christians nahee mantay. Toba hay.

[This message has been edited by Pagluu (edited May 07, 2001).]
    "And those who oppress shall see what kind of outcome overturns them." [26:227] Al-Quran

Comment

Pagluu
      GFQ something is not right in the title. I can't figure out. Isn't it the other way round?

Comment

Khan sahib, there's alot of different versions, i just picked one.

Comment

Funnily enough ive just heard it been said a few days ago on an English programme. i got peed off, then thought maybe it dont mean something sarcastic.

Comment

Sheba, for some reason i can't really explain, i'm sure its sarcastic. Perhaps the way it is used, the tone it takes. It seems that whenever you come across it, it just doesn't feel right.

Comment

Girl from Quraysh - I am really NOT certain of how accurate this is, but am posting it up in the hopes that my confusion will be clarified. 1997 version of the American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms offers this:

Idiom : If the mountain won't come to Muhammad, Muhammad must go to the mountain.

Definition : If one can't have one's way, one must give in.

Etymology : This expression is based on a tale that Muhammad once sought proof of his teachings by ordering a mountain to come to him. When it did not move, he maintained that God had been merciful, for if it had indeed moved they all would have been crushed by it. [Late 1500s].

Source: http://www.mcdougallittell.com/lit/s...9/sts0719a.htm

Is it just me or does their Etymology section strike you as being somewhat sneering or scornful? (Or, am I being paranoid?).

At any rate, I have read in other places that this phrase means, 'Never give up regardless of how challenging the circumstances' (which would be completely opposite to the definition provided above by the American H. Dictionary). Any clarification would be much appreciated - Sorry for adding to the confusion.

Comment

Well I never came across the above tale in any of the stories of the Prophet (SAWS) I've ever read..... maybe during the time in past centuries when in was common fashion in the West to ridicule Islam someone came up with this story, which then turned into an idiom?
                Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
                Al-Ghazali

Comment

Mad Scientist - To be honest, I haven't come across this precise story in any Islamic literature. So I really don't know what to make of their 'explanation'. I think they are using a twisted version of some sort of other story, which has now (as you say) been turned into an idiom.

Comment

Working...
                  X