• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taliban to start "soon" destruction of Shia mosques

http://www.iran-press-service.com/ar...dram_27301.htm

TALEBAN TO START "SOON" DESTRUCTION OF SHI’A MOSQUES AND SYMBOLS

By Safa Haeri

PARIS 27 Mar. (IPS) The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, encouraged by Saudi Arabia, is to embark soon on the destruction of all monuments, pilgrimage places, shrines and mosques belonging to Shi’ite faith, according to an informed Afghan intellectual.

"Now that the ruling Taleban have destroyed historic Buddha statues, they would start soon the systematic destruction of all the major shrines and mosques that belongs to the Shi’a, including the "Rowza" shrine in Mazar Sharif, the "Jam Minars" in Heart or the Shah Shamshireh mosque and "Pir Boland" pilgrimage place in Kabul", said Mr. Latif Pedram, a Paris-based professor of oriental studies.

Observing that both the Vahabites and the Taleban Sunni consider the Shi’a as "infidels" and stranger to Islam, Mr. Pedram said the Saudis are giving the Taleban "millions of Dollars" in order to eradicate all symbols of Shi’ism and replace them with Vahabite mosques and shrines.

Vahabisme is the official religion in Saudi Arabia, one of the richest of Arab nations while majority of the Iranians, the Iraqis and the Azeris are Shi’a Muslims.

Shi’as also forms between 20 to 25 per cent of the populations in neighbouring Afghanistan, Pakistan and Turkey and possesses historic monuments and mosques.

Mr. Pedram said both Saudi Arabia and Pakistan are encouraging the Taleban to "clean" the country from the signs and symbols of all other religions that are not of Sunni or Vahabi Islams.

The money wealthy Vahabites pour into Ben Laden coffers not only helps strengthening Saudi influence in the region and the gradual replacing of Shi’ism by Vahabism, but also is a way of satisfying their religious duties, said Mr. Pedram, who is also a journalist.

Speaking in an interview with Iran Press Service, Mr. Pedram said the recent visit to the United States of Rahamatollah Hashemi, the 24 years old "adviser" to the Taleban’s supreme leader Mollah Mohammad Omar, was both arranged and worked out by the Pakistan diplomacy aimed at "reactivating" Taleban’s presence in America.

"The main goal of Rahmatollah is to brief the Americans on Ben Laden issue, to explain them Mollah Omar’s stand on the subject and at the same time strike a new understanding with Washington", the Afghan scholar said.

Last week, the Envoy delivered a letter from the Taleban leader for President George W. Bush, calling for better Afghan-US relations and offering new round of negotiations concerning Mr. Osama Ben Laden, a wealthy Saudi anti-American "crusader" accused by Washington of several terrorist operations on American interests, including the twin bombing of US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1994.

Mr. Pedram confirmed that thanks to millions, if not billions, he get from other wealthy Arabs to continue his crusade, Mr. Ben Laden has become "almost independent" from the ruling Taleban.

"With the money he has, Ben Laden has raised an army of Arabs, Afghans, Pakistanis and other Muslims and at the same time pays handsomely some of the most influential orthodox ulemas around Mollah Omar", Mr. Pedram pointed out.

Not only Ben Laden has become an important and influential force in Afghanistan independent of the Taleban establishment, but also even Omar himself can hardly make any decision on him alone, Afghan watchers said.

Mr. Pedram doubted the Americans resolve on the Taleban, pointing that in the absence of any alternative, the Taleban are the best asset the Americans have in curtailing the influence of Russia and Iran in the area.

"In the eventual case the Americans want to apply serious pressures on Iran, the Taleban are there to immediately create trouble for Iran at the borders and even provide bases to Iranians opposed to the regime, like the Baghdad-based Mujahedeen Khalq", Mr. Pedram noted.

Actually Taleban did offer bases to the MKO at the height of military tension that erupted more than a year ago, placing the two nations at the brink of war.

"If Washington was serious in getting rid of the Taleban, it should have started by putting pressure on Pakistan, the Taleban’s masters", Mr. Pedram observed, adding: "But the problem facing the Americans is that outside the Ben Laden factor, they need the Taleban to advance their policy in this strategic region of Asia".

He said the "paradox" of the absence of a clear American policy for this region is that Ahmad Shah Mas’ood, the the veteran Afghan Commander who continue to resist the Taleban had no other choice but turning to Russia, China, India and Iran, "all US foes" for military support.

I doubt the reliability of this article. The taliban will not do something like this. News items like these only pose to make the lives of Afghani even more misrable. The Shias have nothing to fear from the taliban. Even now the shias are allowed to practice their religion. They were granted permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Topee Wala:
      I doubt the reliability of this article. The taliban will not do something like this. News items like these only pose to make the lives of Afghani even more misrable. The Shias have nothing to fear from the taliban. Even now the shias are allowed to practice their religion. They were granted permission.
      ed

"They were granted Permission" They need permission to pray? what does that say about the wonderful taliban?

Comment

2 Probs with this article.

1.) Comes from the Iranian press..... known to have an extremely anti-Taliban bias as Iran opposes the Taliban is supplies the Northern Alliance with massive support

2.) The article claims that Pakistan supports the alleged anti-shia movement. Whereas Pakistan's government has never, ever, supported anti-shia groups. When the Saudi Government in the 80s requested General Zia to remove Shia Pakistani troops from Saudi soil, Zia threatened to remove all the Pakistani troops so as not to distinguish between sunnis and shias. Musharraf's government has similarly always opposed such sectarian movements. In fact, Musharraf's administration has executed an anti-shia activist for committing murder, and is currently attempting to contain anti-shia groups in Pakistan.

It is simply unbelievable that Pakistan would goad the Taliban in commiting such an action, and this, combined with point 1), throws the veracity of this article into doubt.
        Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
        Al-Ghazali

Comment

Dear Bros.
          This article is totally false, Taliban has demolitied few Mosques but those wern't from any particular sect, the only reason was that they wern't under use due to migration of local population. Rahmetullah Hashmis(Taliban Adviser) full speech, which he made in America, is available, totally contrast to what has been stated in this article.
          Usama Bin Laden lives in an area near Jalalabad, near Pakistani border, his activities are very limited. Usama bi Laden is also married to Mullah Umer's Daughter or sister(i don't remember), he is not in any count as compared to great Russian war commanders who are with Taliban. Its Iran which isn't playing fair with Taliban due to sectism and not the Talibans. Iran and Muslim enemy India are friends against Taliban

Comment

Afghanistan and the Taliban are very misunderstand. Talk to someone who's been there..

Comment

Pure non-sense.

Comment

I anybody needs any information about Taliban's government please ask.
                I wouldn't say if I have been there or not(for some reason) but I wouldn't mind to provide any factual information. Taliban and Afghanistan is not that what is being portrayed by our Western media.
                Originally posted by wasir:
                Dear Bros.
                This article is totally false, Taliban has demolitied few Mosques but those wern't from any particular sect, the only reason was that they wern't under use due to migration of local population. Rahmetullah Hashmis(Taliban Adviser) full speech, which he made in America, is available, totally contrast to what has been stated in this article.
                Usama Bin Laden lives in an area near Jalalabad, near Pakistani border, his activities are very limited. Usama bi Laden is also married to Mullah Umer's Daughter or sister(i don't remember), he is not in any count as compared to great Russian war commanders who are with Taliban. Its Iran which isn't playing fair with Taliban due to sectism and not the Talibans. Iran and Muslim enemy India are friends against Taliban

Comment

Isn't it similar to what was mentioned in the article posted above.

=============================================

Friday May 4 5:16 PM ET
                  Afghan Bomb Blast Kills Seven Outside Mosque

By Raja Asghar

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - At least seven people including an exiled Iranian Islamic scholar were killed and 30 wounded by a bomb blast outside a mosque in the Afghan city of Herat on Friday, the Taliban authorities said.

A senior Taliban official blamed neighboring Iran for the blast, which reportedly sparked swift anti-Iran protests and violence in which the Iranian consulate in Herat was attacked.

However Taliban Foreign Minister Wakil Ahmad Muttawakil said later on state radio that Iran had denied any role.

Tehran condemned the bombing and blamed ``enemies'' of the two countries, calling on the Taliban to protect Iranian citizens.

A Pakistan-based Afghan news service, quoting Herat provincial governor Mullah Khairullah Khairkhwa, earlier said eight people were killed by the blast, and cited another unidentified source as putting the toll at 20.

But the Taliban's Voice of Shariat radio, monitored in Islamabad, later reported that seven people were killed and 30 injured by the bomb in the ancient city in western Afghanistan (news - web sites).

The radio said the explosive was believed to have been set off by an Iranian who arrived in Herat three days ago and was also killed in the blast.

The Afghan Islamic Press (AIP) quoted Khairkhwa as saying by telephone that Iran had targeted exiled Iranian Sunni sect leader Maulvi Mohammad Musa, who was killed.

Muttawakil Cautious

Muttawakil was more cautious, saying the protesters who attacked the Iranian consulate believed Tehran was responsible.

``But an Iranian official, while contacting our foreign office, dissociated (Tehran) from the incident,'' he said. ''Anyway, we are in contact with the Iranian authorities in this regard to avoid any wrong course.''

In Tehran, Iran's Foreign Ministry condemned the bombing and the subsequent attack on the consulate, saying ``foreign elements and enemies of Iran and Afghanistan'' may have been responsible.

``Iran holds the Taliban responsible for protecting the lives of Iranian citizens and diplomats and safeguarding property at the legation,'' ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi told the Iranian news agency IRNA. He said no Iranian diplomats had been hurt.

AIP quoted Khairkhwa as saying spontaneous protests broke out after the bomb, which was fixed to a bicycle, exploded.

The crowd set fire to the consulate, vehicles parked there and five places of worship of the minority Shi'ite sect in Herat, he said.

The blaze was brought under control and the Iranian diplomats were safe, he said. ``The situation is under control.''

AIP said the governor called the blast an ``act of sabotage by Iran.''

He said Musa had lived in exile in Afghanistan since before the Taliban movement took power in 1996.

The conservative Islamic Taliban movement claims to control about 95 percent of Afghanistan and draws strength from the majority Sunni sect, and accuses Shi'ite-led Iran of supporting the north-based opposition alliance fighting Taliban rule.

Iran denies the charge, although it still recognizes ousted president Burhanuddin Rabbani, whose forces were driven by the Taliban from the capital Kabul in September 1996.

[This message has been edited by analyze it (edited May 05, 2001).]

Comment

Similar in what way?

I suggest you explain the relevance of this article in this thread.

Comment

This is not an article. It is a news item, not an article, please.
                      The topic starter article suggested destruction of Shia holy places to be started in Afghanistan and the news item reported bomb blast to kill an exiled iranina leader and then under conspiracy theory the Afghan official called it, act of sabotage by Iran".

In retaliation " The crowd set fire to the consulate, vehicles parked there and FIVE PLACES OF WORSHIP OF THE MINORITY SHI'ITE SECT in Herat"

Whoever masterminded it, end result was damage to shia holy places which was the theme of original article. Got it.

Comment

I'm sorry, 'new item' then.

First of all the original post claims that the destruction of shi'ite holy places is something encouraged and enforced by the Taliban. As the taliban are in power in Afghanistan that would make it seem government policy, which is not true at all. However, to reinforce the above claim, a 'news item' is posted up that claims the crowd set fire to the iranian consulate, vehicles, and places of shi'ite worship. The use of the word 'crowd' clearly suggests a mob of ppl caught up in a frenzy of emotions. It does not suggest, a systematic plan propagated by the taliban government.

Moreover the article in the original post states:
                        "Now that the ruling Taleban have destroyed historic Buddha statues, they would start soon the systematic destruction of all the major shrines and mosques that belongs to the Shi’a, including the "Rowza" shrine in Mazar Sharif, the "Jam Minars" in Heart or the Shah Shamshireh mosque and "Pir Boland" pilgrimage place in Kabul", said Mr. Latif Pedram, a Paris-based professor of oriental studies.
                        A claim which is more than presumptuous, based solely on the destruction of the buddha statues. Which were NOT destroyed, and yes i do emphasize the 'not' for merely religious reasons. In fact, the call for their destruction, immediately followed a motion by UNESCO to spend vast sums of money rebuilding the faces of these statues. When an appeal was made to divert these funds into more necessary areas, ie. providing shelter and food for thousands upon thousands of homeless and starving Afghanis, the request was flatly refused.

Perhaps the destruction of the statues was not completely right. But i ask you, if you were in such a situation what would you do? If your children were dying in front of your eyes, the condition of your country steadily worsening in the face of drought, crippled by sanctions? And then the same people who have imposed the sanctions pass a motion to pour money into Afghanistan...for the renovation of statues, as men, women, and children slowly die.

Tell me what would you do?

Comment

Its not "New Item", it is " News Item".

GFQ, There were some keywords in my posts which I would like to emphasize rather than trying to elaborate further. Less said is enough.
                          Keywords were, Similar, Conspiracy theory, masterminded, end result(similar).

What happened in Herat can very well potentially lead(may not be systematic destruction sponsored by Afghan government) to what is stated in original post i.e. destruction of major shrines and mosques that belong to shias.

Original article may be a brainchild of Iraninan agency. News is reliable and reported in Reuters and Dawn.

Now coming to your question,
                          [b] If I was in the same situation, I would follow more diplomatic way to safeguard my people. First of all I would not let my people die of hunger just because of a controversial man who might well be terrorist. I would ask myself,why this person (who has lot of money to spend on masterminding terrorist activities throught the world though controversial) can not feed my people. What benefit do I get by hosting this man?

Second if I could get money to save Buddha statue, I would rather accept the money and use it to feed my people instead. Call it hypocricy or whatever, I would care for my dying people first even it takes me to lie.

Third, the sanction are mainly because of support to an alleged terrorist and the support was to save the statues. This is more a red tape issue, different agencies are involved with separate jurisdictions and should not be compared with each other.

Like when a black student applies for a scholarship to one university, he is refused because he does meet the criteria. When he applies to another scholarship he is granted because loans are allocated to black students only.

Comment

go Taleban .. if they are destroying shia'z mosque.. they are doing fine in my opinion.

[This message has been edited by Girl from Quraysh (edited May 07, 2001).]

Comment

Let me tell you that the Taliban dont hate Shias!!! They just dont get along with Hazaris who happens to be Shia. There are Shia living with Sunni Taliban in Kabul, with no hate between the two. All this is BS by Iranian puppets to fuel more war.

Recently Taliban saved many shias and Iranian Shias from getting killed by Sunni Afghans.

ANALize this!
                              http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/wor...00/1314683.stm

Saturday, 5 May, 2001, 16:31 GMT 17:31 UK

Afghanistan's ruling Taleban has blamed Iranian extremists for a blast in the western Afghan city of Herat on Friday.
                              The blast, outside a mosque in the border city, killed 10 people and was followed by protests in which the Iranian consulate was attacked.

The Iranian Government has closed its consulate in the city and withdrawn its staff.

The explosion was believed to have targeted an exiled Iranian scholar, who died in the blast.

Maulvi Mohammad Musa was a Sunni Muslim scholar and after his death his followers set fire to the Iranian consulate and attacked mosques of the Shi'ite Muslim minority. (NOT the Taliban!)

Blame

A statement issued by the Taleban foreign ministry said elements who were "oppressing the Iranian people" were trying to disturb improving Afghan-Iran ties.

"The circles upholding terrorism... not only attacked the mutual normalisation process but are also trying to endanger the relations between the two Muslim nations with this extreme move inciting religious sentiments," the statement said.

The diplomats from Herat were escorted to the border with Iran by Taleban guards early on Saturday morning.

"We managed to secure the diplomats," Herat Governor Khairullah Khairkhwa told the Reuters news agency.

"They would have been hacked to death had we not saved them in time," he said.

The incident recalled tensions between the two countries in 1998 when Iran and Afghanistan nearly fought a war after the killing of eight Iranian officials and a journalist.

The Iranians were captured and killed by Taleban forces who seized the northern Afghan city of Mazar-e-Sharif from Iranian-backed anti-Taleban forces.

Regional tension

Herat, near the Iranian border, is home to a vast camp for refugees fleeing the continued fighting between the ruling Taleban movement and their opponents in the Northern Alliance.

About 80,000 refugees now live around Herat, and the UN says 1,500 desperate people arrive at the camp each day.

Relations between Afghanistan and Iran have long been strained.

Shi'ite Iran has been a strong backer of the Shi'a minority in Afghanistan, largely confined to the Hazara ethnic group in the central province of Bamiyan.

The Taleban, by contrast, are Sunni Muslims.

------------------
                              *We are the Taleban-Resistance is Futile*
                              Sin: Osama Bin Junior

[This message has been edited by yOuNgBrAt (edited May 05, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Girl from Quraysh (edited May 07, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                              X