X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruling on Men and Women letting Their Nails Grow

salamz,,

Question:

What is the ruling on men or women letting their nails grow long? If it is forbidden,
    what is the wisdom behind this prohibition?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Cutting the nails is part of the fitrah, because the Prophet (peace and
    blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The fitrah is five things:
    circumcision, removing the pubic hair, trimming the moustache, cutting
    the nails, and plucking the armpit hairs.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari and Muslim).
    According to another hadeeth, ten things are part of the fitrah, including
    cutting the nails. Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The
    Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) set a
    time limit for us to cut our moustaches, cut our nails, pluck our armpit
    hairs and shave our pubic hairs: we were not to leave it any longer than
    forty days.” (Reported by Ahmad, Muslim and al-Nisaa’i; this version narrated by
    Ahmad). Whoever does not cut his nails is going against the fitrah. The
    reason behind this is cleanliness and hygiene, because dirt can gather
    under the nails. It also serves the purpose of making us different from
    those among the kuffaar who allow their nails to grow long, and from
    animals that have claws and talons. (Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/173).

Most women nowadays have fallen into the trap of resembling savage
    animals with their long claw-like nails, which they then paint with nail
    polish. This ugly appearance looks utterly repulsive to any intelligent
    person whose fitrah is sound. Another bad habit that many people have is
    to leave one nail long. All of this is clearly contrary to the ways of the
    fitrah. We ask Allaah to keep us safe and sound. Allaah is the Guide to the
    Straight Path.

Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)
    http://216.205.122.233/index.php?ln=...browse&QR=1195

------------------
    ˛şşą§âLmăń kHäń™»
    ĐonT iMMiTăTe, iNNoVăTë ®

A'Salaam Salman

What is fitrah?

I've never heard about 40 days before, but that doesn't mean that it can't be true. The logic behind keep 'em short is hygiene, if long nails can be kept clean then it shouldn't be problem right? As for the animal part, hmmm.

>>This ugly appearance looks utterly repulsive to any intelligent person whose fitrah is sound.<<

I hope this is your personal opinion. Anyway, unless going against Fitrah is gunnah I don't think that I've got a problem here. Besides I have a wicked logic, I believe that one should enjoy the religion

Comment

Originally posted by sabah:
      A'Salaam Salman

What is fitrah?
      >>This ugly appearance looks utterly repulsive to any intelligent person whose fitrah is sound.<<

I hope this is your personal opinion. Anyway, unless going against Fitrah is gunnah I don't think that I've got a problem here. Besides I have a wicked logic, I believe that one should enjoy the religion
      Salamz

whatever is up there is the answer from the scholar on www.islam-qa.com and i did not add any of my personal opinions in it.

I'll let u know whaz fitrah Inshallah soon, or you might wanna go to that site or any islamic site n check bout it.

About ur wicked logic, am scared of it basically.

ws'salamZ

------------------
      ˛şşą§âLmăń kHäń™»
      ĐonT iMMiTăTe, iNNoVăTë ®

Comment

>>>I've never heard about 40 days before, but that doesn't mean that it can't be true.

From what i've read its preferred that unwanted hair is removed at least once a week, if its not possible than every second week--but that care must be taken it is not left for more than 40 days, as beyond 40 days, the 'neglector' is guilty of a sin.

And you are right Saba, the removal of unwanted hair as well as keeping your nails short is for hygenic reasons.

About fitrah, anyone can jump in to correct me, but from what i understand, it means that which is in nature, or rather our natural disposition towards something; ie. our inborn or intuitive ability to distinguish right from wrong, true and false...etc. For example, in one of the hadiths referred to above, one can see the word 'nature' in brackets alongside fitrah.

Narrated Aisha, Ummul Mu'minin

The Apostle of Allah (saw) said: Ten are the acts according to fitrah (nature): clipping the moustache, letting the beard grow, using the tooth-stick, cutting the nails, washing the finger joints, plucking the hair under the arm-pits, shaving the pubes, and cleansing one's private parts (after easing or urinating) with water. The narrator said: I have forgotten the tenth, but it may have been rinsing the mouth.
        --Sahih Muslim

Comment

Its not completely related to this thread, but how can nail polish be a cause of unhygiene?

------------------
          Get Back to Where you Once Belonged!

Comment

Originally posted by SalmanKhana:
            Most women nowadays have fallen into the trap of resembling savage animals with their long claw-like nails, which they then paint with nail polish. This ugly appearance looks utterly repulsive to any intelligent person whose fitrah is sound. Another bad habit that many people have is to leave one nail long.

Not to split hairs but.....how come when reference is made to women's nails being long it is "ugly" and "utterly repulsive". But leaving one nail long, which is what many men do, is only a "bad habit"?

Comment

I dont get it

actually its very funny to think of

of all the problems around us, hunger, poverty, killing of the innocent, aids and blah

these highly sophisticated and learned scholars have taken time out to give out personal opinion on women's nails

Comment

One thing the scholar failed to define was the limit. Meaning, when nails are to be cut, how short do they have to be made? Do they have to be cut along the fine line that seperates the white of the nail from the red?

>>>“The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) set a time limit for us to cut our moustaches, cut our nails, pluck our armpit hairs and shave our pubic hairs: we were not to leave it any longer than forty days.”<<<

So I figure that the length that your hair or nails acquire in 40 days is the maximum acceptable. Logic would dictate that on the 41st day, you can trim down ur nails to the length that they were on the 40th day. (you know what i mean). Meaning, as long as you keep ur hair and nails at a 40 day length, you are fine.

Most of the time, what Islam says is exactly what we usually do. I have a big beef with scholars in this regard....the way they present things at times makes it sound like what a person has been doing up until this day has been all wrong. This works well in driving people away from Islam unfortunately. Why cant scholars be user-friendly.

And yes, GFQ is right....Fitrah = Fitrat in urdu. Fitrat = instinct

Comment

girl quraish ; so according to what you said, I can grow my nails if they are all clean? or do i have to cut them before the deadline of 40 dayz ?

muzna ; its because men cut all the nails except 1. so all others look good but this one looks bad and dats reffered to as a 'bad habit' while women leave all long n that is reffered to 'ugly...' . and Allah knows best.

anchal ; Islam is a way of life. So it is the duty of everyone to learn this way of life. These matters ( which you consider small ) have some part in this way of life. Scholars keep reminding and advising us of every small or big thing to us if we want to listen and obey. We talk about "of all the problems around us, hunger, poverty, killing of the innocent, aids and blah " . I would suggest we look at ourselves first and see if we are perfect and then go ahead and find this article funny. We have numerous hadeeth regarding this topic of nails and I believe it is not at all funny. If it was funny, why would Allah make His Prophet pbuh tell us about it ? to just make a fun outta it? .. I dont think so !!.. Personally if a scholar just reminds me that picking up a stone on the street is a good deed, I would be thankful to Allah and then to him for telling me this knowledge! being humble towards Allah is important.

Akif : it seems you talked to the wrong scholars !

After my exams get over, I have in my mind to make a website. Put the Islamic cassettes that I have in urdu on it. Its on various topics from the scholars of Saudia/Bahrain/Pakistan/India for our urdu speaking/understanding community to benefit from. Please make Dua that Allah makes this easy for me. Ameen.

Some of the cassttes are must-listen ones. For example the ones titled 'Jannati Kaun?' and 'Jahannam ki Aag' and 'Salat and its importance' and 'Signs near Day of Resserucction' etc

Comment

Originally posted by SalmanKhana:
                    girl quraish ; so according to what you said, I can grow my nails if they are all clean? or do i have to cut them before the deadline of 40 dayz ?

SalmanKhana, just a suggestion, don't take it according to what i say. Take it according to what the Prophet (saw) said. If you reread my reply, you will notice that the '40 days limit' was mentioned in respect to the removal of unwanted hair--not nails.

Comment

ahan.. acknowledged wid thanx.!

Comment

Originally posted by Beatle_ki_wapsi:
                        Its not completely related to this thread, but how can nail polish be a cause of unhygiene?
                        i have no idea. girls like colorful stuff and therefore they like to have nail polishes n things like that. I have no knowledge about how much is this colorful subject related to Islam.

Comment

dont dissect things to lose the faith and wisdom behind them. to be within the "40 day limit" and just keeping within the "40 day limit" makes us miss the point as to why the limit was proposed.

and anchal, u see these problems and so do the big super-powers of this world. yet with all of the money and food that the US has... why hasnt proverty and hunger gone down in the nations that have these problems? if every nation gave 2.5% of their wealth to a common fund which then divided up the charity towards these poor nations, we would see a lot more improvement. u tell me.. how much food do u waste in a week? i'm sure u do.. everyone does unfortunately. i'm guilty of it as well. but we work to improve it and ask Allah to guide us on the right path. the problem with everything is that pple have forgotten their submission towards Allah and their faith in Him and Him alone. not in science, not in the $, not in education.

why is Zakah established? why is it sooo encouraged to give charity in Islam?

everything has a reason. it is up to Allah to disclose it to you or not.

-mehndi

Comment

i got this in an email and insha'Allah I hope people get something out of it...

But first let me tell you the disadvantages of growing your nails and
                            applying the polish!!!!
                            1)Cutting the nails is part of the fitrah, because the Prophet Muhammad
                            (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said had said so (Reported by
                            al-Bukhaari and Muslim). According to another hadeeth, ten things are part
                            of the fitrah, including cutting the nails. Anas (may Allaah be pleased with
                            him) said: ^”The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon
                            him) set a time limit for us to cut our moustaches, cut our nails, pluck our
                            armpit hairs and shave hairs: we were not to leave it any longer than forty
                            days.^‘ (Reported by Ahmad, Muslim and al-Nisaa^“i; this version narrated by
                            Ahmad). Whoever does not cut his nails is going against the fitrah.
                            2)From cleanliness and hygiene point of view because what deposits under the
                            nails includes dirt , food -which eventually rots, fungal and bacterial
                            spores - whice can thrive under the semi-anaerobic conditions,residues of
                            creams and detergents- many of which are non-biodegradable and harmful in
                            long term exposure
                            3)Cutting nails also makes us different from animals that have claws and
                            talons .
                            4)Also this growing of nails originated in the kuffar and doing so makes us
                            emulate them
                            5)Woman CAN pray with nail polish BUT not do wuzu (ablution) with it !
                            Please note that salat(namaz) is NOT valid till wuzu(ablution) is valid !!
                            This means that she removes the nail polish, takes her ablution, and then
                            puts the nail polish back, then she can pray with it!!
                            Thus for 5 prayers she will have to take nail polish OFF and then again put
                            it on- then again ,and again and again .... 5 times each !!!Phew ! What a
                            waste of time and energy and resources ( polish and polish remover are not
                            so cheap)
                            6)Nail polish is an ornament and muslim woman is not supposed to display
                            her ornaments in the presence of non-mahrams!
                            7)Nail polish has organic solvents , dyes , - none of them are safe for
                            internal consumption - after all Today's polish is a refined version of car
                            paint!!!!
                            8)Acetone is an important ingredient of Nail polish as well as remover
                            .Please note the health HAZARDS of acetone:
                            Taken from CDC (Center for disease control) website http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts21.html
                            Breathing moderate-to-high levels of acetone for short periods of time,
                            however, can cause nose, throat, lung, and eye irritation; headaches;
                            light-headedness; confusion; increased pulse rate; effects on blood; nausea;
                            vomiting; unconsciousness and possibly coma; and shortening of the menstrual
                            cycle in women.
                            Animal studies have shown Kidney, liver, and nerve damage, increased birth
                            defects, and lowered fertility on long term exposure to acetone.
                            9)There are some muslim sisters who use it only during a certain time of the
                            month - when they do not pray- but it is it merely tells everyone else-
                            brothers,cousins and father included what they are not supposed to know!!
                            10)Using nail polish also is an act of Israf (extravagance) - <b>not the best
                            thing to do when millions are dying of hunger and thirst in this world!</b>
                            11)Difference between nail polish and henna - henna does NOT spoil wuzu-
                            nail polish does !!!Henna does not prevent water from reaching the skin
                            12) The major bath = ghusl is incomplete and invalid if the girl is wearing
                            nail polish !!!! ( If a portion as small as the extent of a hairs breadth is
                            left dry the ghusl will be incomplete)
                            13)A report by the Environmental Working Group (EWG) said the chemical in
                            question is called dibutyl phthalate or DBP(a class of industrial
                            plasticizers which makes them flexible ) links them to
                            Taken from CNN website http://www.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/women/11/29/nail.polish/

We ask Allaah to keep us safe and sound. Allaah is the Guide to the Straight
                            Path. And Allah knows best.

As for the advantages:
                            NONE - other than those imagined by an agent of the nail polish manufacturer
                            and cosmetic industry !!!!!

[This message has been edited by mehndi (edited May 03, 2001).]

Comment

Oh yeah lets create problems, diss amreeka and its inhabitants and then expect them to come to your aid

you got another thing coming

Salman your hypocrite behavious personally makes me puke
                              you contradict your own self at several places

On chat you behave like a pervert who is obssessed with sex, girls and chichora pan
                              On the forums you transform into this 'knowledgable' person who takes the liberty to tell ppl how to grow nails and style their hair

tell me bachay ...what do your learned scholars say bout behaving in the presence of women?

go ask and then come back with an answer

Dont become another Jawan ...or your days here are limited

Comment

Working...
                              X