Are Prawns n Shrimps Halal ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Prawns n Shrimps Halal ?

Friend asked me today ..i said yes with a certain amount of uncertainty. Thought i'd ask you gups ....

Anyone know ..... JazakAllahKahir

Thanx ...a quick anwser would be appreciated. Feel like having some chinese food at the weekend !

Well I heard that they are Makrooh..... and that crabs are haraam......
    Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
    Al-Ghazali

Comment

Originally posted by mAd_ScIeNtIsT:
      Well I heard that they are Makrooh..... and that crabs are haraam......
      Makrooh ?? Meaning wot exactly ?

Comment

Why do u ask religious questions here when there is a whole Religion Forum for this?

Anyway, prawns and shrimps are considered makrooh (they are not haraam, but not recommended)

The reason is probably the absence of bones in their body as many scholars seem to think that only that seafood is halaal which has bones (fish etc). However, prawns are probably the only exception.

Comment

OMIGOD. Please tell me prawns are halal. I live on prawns and prawn mayo sandwiches.

I've always assumed that they're halal

Now that i think about it, 'course they're halal - stop being so silly !!!!

So, verily, with every difficulty, there is relief:
          Verily, with every difficulty there is relief.

Comment

Originally posted by Sadi Sobi:

OMIGOD. Please tell me prawns are halal. I live on prawns and prawn mayo sandwiches.

I've always assumed that they're halal

Now that i think about it, 'course they're halal - stop being so silly !!!!

Its Ok To eat Them they are Halal But
            Not recomended to eat ( Makroo) only
            Because it eats the waste of other fishes
            and sea animals and also our Nabi(pbuh)
            didn't like to eat it.
            there is no gunah to eat them.

Comment

They are Halaal
              Arabs eat them like Bengalis eat mochli..
              And boy are the Tasty

Comment

There is difference of opinion depending on which of the 4 schools of Sunni law you follow. For Hanafis (most Indians and Pakistanis are Hanafis) there is difference of opinion about them amongst the scholars. The strongest opinion though (e.g. that of Ala Hazrat) is that they are not allowed and certainly "khilaaf e awlaa" (i.e it is much better not to eat them.)

I will try to put up Ala Hazrat Imam e Ahle Sunnat's reply to this very question if i can find it

ps just coz pakistanis and bengalis or anyone else from the general public does something that in itself doesn't make an action halal or haraam.

pps I used to eat them with great relish until I came across Ala Hazrat's fatwa--now i dont eat them anymore

Comment

They are Halal as it is mentioned in Quran. I am sure someone can find the Ayat for you if had posted it in Religion Forum

Comment

hmmm kewl deal. and in that case is lobster and crawfish halaal too? and doesnt crawfish look like a friggin cockroach?
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

In the Quran it says that only Pig, alcohol and dead meat are haram. If you say some otherthing is halal or haram please state the source.

PS. I think that prawns and shrips are halal but i am not sure...

[This message has been edited by Topee Wala (edited April 26, 2001).]

Comment

its a rule that sea-animals that live on land as well as in the water is haram. i.e. crab, lobster etc. Dont know whether prawns and shrimps live on land or not. I eat them.

According to my knowledge.

------------------
                        ~Survival of the smartest~

Comment

Octupus and squid are halal then since they dont live on land
                          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Aray....!

Crab or lobster kab say haraam ho gaya?!?!?!
                            Marwao gay ... Can u folks stop issuing aqalmandana fatwas?

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Pristine (edited April 26, 2001).]

Comment

Well who--me is right, because crabs live on both land and water they are haraam..... I still maintain that prawns and lobster are makrooh (if anyone wants I can start up a thread in the religion forum on this). They cannot survive outside of water.I do eat them, but only on a very occasional basis.... as far as I understand, I do no wrong by eating them as they are not haraam, but Allah would like me more if I didn't eat them. I'm a tuna and mayo sandwich man myself!!!!!!
                              Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
                              Al-Ghazali

Comment

Working...
                              X