Madeline Murray O'Hare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Madeline Murray O'Hare

This mail was forwarded to me. I have not checked to see if this information is correct.

-------------------------------------------
    THOUGH SHE'S DEAD AND HAS JUST BEEN LOCATED, AFTER 5 YEARS, THIS LADY CONTINUES TO HAUNT US FROM HER SHALLOW GRAVE. - GET THIS:

CBS will be forced to discontinue "Touched by an Angel" for using the word God in every program. Madeline Murray O'Hare, an atheist, successfully managed to eliminate the use of Bible reading from public schools a few years ago.

Now her organization has been granted a Federal Hearing on the same subject by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in Washington, DC. Their petition, Number 2493, would ultimately pave the way to stop the reading of the gospel our Lord and Savior on the airwaves of America. They got 287,000 signatures to back their stand! If this attempt is successful, all Sunday worship services being broadcast on the radio or by television will be stopped. This group is also campaigning to remove all Christmas programs and Christmas carols from public schools!! You as a Christian can help!

We are praying for at least 1 million signatures. This would defeat their effort and show that there are many Christians alive, well and concerned about our country. As Christians we must unite on this. Please don't take this lightly. We ignored this lady once and lost prayer in our school and in offices across the nation. Please stand up for your religious freedom and let your voice be heard. Together we can make a difference in our country while creating an opportunity for the lost to know the Lord.

Please press "forward" and only delete out what is not needed, and forward this to everyone on your list. Now, please sign your name at the bottom (you can only add your name after you have pressed the"Forward"). Don't delete anything, just go to the next number and type your name. Please do not sign jointly, such as Mr.& Mrs. Each person should sign his/her own name. First and last name and state to please.

Please e-mail this to everyone you know, and help us defeat this organization and keep the right of our freedom of religion.
    --------------------------------------------

What are your views? Can a television station be made to stop broadcasting? Won’t that be against the freedom of speech?

"A woman has got to be able to say, and not feel guilty, 'Who am I, and what do I want out of life?' She mustn't feel selfish and neurotic if she wants goals of her own, outside of husband and children"

Originally posted by aishaA:
    This mail was forwarded to me. I have not checked to see if this information is correct.

"Freedom of religion" is exactly what these group is fighting for...they don't want any prayer christian, muslim, hindu, jewish..whatever to be recited in public schools. There are private schools in each religion where they can recite all the prayers they want.

A muslim should not to be subjected to hear "Jesus christ our lord" and a "Christian would not want to hear recitations of Allah.." This way the playing field is level adn we all move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Infoman:
      ...they don't want any prayer christian, muslim, hindu, jewish..whatever to be recited in public schools.
      But they are talking about TV shows. Are these shows funded by public money?

"A woman has got to be able to say, and not feel guilty, 'Who am I, and what do I want out of life?' She mustn't feel selfish and neurotic if she wants goals of her own, outside of husband and children"

Comment

I think the tv show part is a different ball park altogether.

TV shows can be termed as "private". The story can be about a Muslim family that recites the Holy Quran.....or about a preacher's family that attends church like Seventh Heaven.

I don't think it's the same as being forced to recite the Lord's Prayer in school.

Comment

>>>"Freedom of religion" is exactly what these group is fighting for...they <<<

I disagree with you, like Muzna says, TV shows are 'private', and when they are broadcasted on private tv stations, the viewer has the right and the ability to change the channel or turn off the tv if they do not agree with what the ideas/teachings the program promotes.

These groups are not fighting for the freedom of religion, rather it seems they are hindering the rights of ppl to promote their religion/beliefs.

There are many weekly,bi-weekly islamic shows out there. I believe that this same group would strongly disagree with the broadcasting of such shows as well. How would you feel about that?

Comment

Originally posted by Girl from Quraysh:
            There are many weekly,bi-weekly islamic shows out there. I believe that this same group would strongly disagree with the broadcasting of such shows as well. How would you feel about that?

Very well placed question GFQ. I think that I would be disgusted if those shows were taken of the air.

Comment

Originally posted by Infoman:
              [B] "Freedom of religion" is exactly what these group is fighting for...they don't want any prayer christian, muslim, hindu, jewish..whatever to be recited in public schools.
              FREEDOM OF RELIGON? ???
              I dont really understand what do you mean by that? Do Atheist have their own religon? / or atheisiam is consider as religon?
              ARent Atheist say NO REligon? then why they are fighting for Freedom of Religon?? OR ATheist are saying keeping the REligon out of society?
              I am lost man.

Comment

Originally posted by MuhammedAliBarlas:
                FREEDOM OF RELIGON? ???
                I dont really understand what do you mean by that? Do Atheist have their own religon? / or atheisiam is consider as religon?
                ARent Atheist say NO REligon? then why they are fighting for Freedom of Religon?? OR ATheist are saying keeping the REligon out of society?
                I am lost man.

I think if one reads the article, one will see that in this case an atheistic organism is trying to exclude shows with religious content (specifically Christian content) from the airwaves.

Whether atheism would be considered a religion or not is subjective i think. But one could safely say, that even an atheist has set of beliefs that they adhere to.

Comment

GFQ, that is a good point. Muzna, even PBS which has public funding broadcasts religious programs.

If this organaization petitions the court on this issue, i don't think it would achive much.

Comment

hmmm... this is a hoax. Sorry guys, should have checked before i posted.

Here is some more info.
                    The FCC did consider a petition (number RM-2493) in 1974 by Jeremy D. Lansman and Lorenzo W. Milam to investigate religious organizations that had been granted broadcasting licenses.

Lansman's and Milam's petition also requested that the FCC not grant broadcasting licenses to any new noncommercial educational broadcasting station until the inquiry was completed.

The FCC rejected petition RM-2493 in 1975.
                    Madalyn Murray O'Hair had nothing to do with the petition.

Madalyn Murray O'Hair has been missing and presumed dead since 1995.

The FCC cannot prevent or inhibit the broadcasting of religious programs.

Comment

Working...
                    X