Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To shave or not to shave, WHAT A QUESTION!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To shave or not to shave, WHAT A QUESTION!

Due to studies and GUPSHUP, i havent been able to find time for myself. As a result, I've grown a pahadi bakra type beard. Most of my friends are of the opinion that I look rather silly in my new beard. But one of my maulvi friend says that shaving a beard is a grave sin and I shouldn't have kept one in the first place if I didn't want it.

So to shave or not to shave, thats the question...
    (I would be glad if you could quote some references concerning the keeping of beard)

------------------
    "Only two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity." I am not quite sure of the universe...

It is sure a sin to shave a beard.

I'll get back to you with evidences INshallah. I've a test today so how about you go yourself and look for the evidence at www.islam-qa.com ?

all the best

Comment

What I never seem to understand why is shaving your beard a grave sin? I mean to grow a beard it is SUNNAH not FARD but since its sunnah then why is deemed once its grown it becomes a FARD to keep it?

Can someone answer me this instead of posting reference after reference. If you really do feel like posting references then explain what does it mean and why? I don't like reading all hadiths without any explanation.
      Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Comment

do all barbers go to hell?

Comment

barbers cut hairs on head mostly and occasionaly beard, so they are not going to hell because of this. OK

Comment

I believe shaving off a beard when you have one is not grave sin. But sure is discouraged in Islam.

First you have to understand that when you grow a beard, for Allah, then you are in a way submitting to Him! And after that if you shave it off, cos you don't look good, your boss tells you to, or any lame reason as such, then it will be symbolizing that you are giving something else precedence over God.

In your case, as you didn't grow one for Allah in the first place, shaving it off wouldn't be a problem.

I had a full beard but due to sensitive dry skin & extreme dandruff, I had my face full of dermatitis. Treated it for a year or so but doctors insisted the dermatitis will keep coming back unless I shave the whole thing off. I didn't, only have a goatee now.

Allah is indeed the Most Forgiving!
            I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
            - Robert McCloskey

Comment

There isn't any logic in that shaving the beard is a sin, in my opionion as growing it is sunnah not fard.

People are so quick in shooting out fatwas

------------------
              ~Survival of the smartest~

Comment

Except for SalmanKhana, I agree with the rest of y'all.

------------------
                Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

Love happens once . . .
                Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Comment

I follow the opinion that keeping the beard is a mandoub (recommended)action but it all depends on which opinion you follow. There are friends of mine who say the it is mubah (permissible). Most of us are 'Ammi on this issue.

btw, there is a lot of reward for a mandoub action and there is no sin in leaving it. There is reward for doing a mubah action and there is also reward for leaving it but only if at the time of the action you are thinking that Allah has given you permission to do the action and not to do the action.

Comment

hello beetle

you know me very well. i suggest that you should not shave. keeping beard is the sunnah of the prophet (saws).

Comment

Many scholars say "Behind every Islamic injunction there is Divine Wisdom"

Can you explain the wisdom behind the keeping of beard?

------------------
                      "Only two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity." I am not quite sure of the universe...

Comment

Originally posted by Beatle_ki_wapsi:
                        Due to studies and GUPSHUP, i havent been able to find time for myself. As a result, I've grown a pahadi bakra type beard.
                        Beatle, everybody seems to have answered yur question based upon their own knowledge, but what you also have to consider is this:
                        Every knowledgeable person that I have come across held the opinion that it is a sin to shave the beard.
                        If not one or two but a lot of scholars say this, than there must be a reason for them saying this, don't you agree?
                        However, from the quote above I discern that you never intended to keep a beard but have just grown one out of neglect. If that is the case then I think the rules regarding a beard simply do not apply to you.

Regarding the beard itself, although not a fardh, it is more than just a sunnah, i.e. it is a recommended action. So regardless of the sin in shaving or not, you might want to keep it.

Comment

------------------------------------
                          I was under the impression that beard in muslim was Sunnah NOT farz or
                          cutting was HARAM.
                          And for hadith ,some sect or groups dont follow all the Hadith.I would
                          think ,such issues of Halal meat,Beard,are practiced variably buy ppl.
                          claiming Shaafi,Hanafi,Hummbali,Maaliki,wahabi eytc
                          I just class them into

I/Ultra Orthodox -jehadi,mhajiroun,unyielding,inflexible ,non
                          compromising,brittle,blacvk & white dense,too literally meaning,not
                          seeing the intentbut just the practice.

II/Middle -like me

III/Too Liberal ---Movie & show business
                          muslims-nurjehan,vaneeza,hadiqa,

------------------
                          "jo kHat main kahte they apni jaan mujhko
                          aaj kHat likhne main unki jaan jaati hai .....

Comment

Typical and Stereotypical classification.
                            It is a classic mistake a lot of muslims make. I am afraid it's not a constructive way of looking at things.

Comment

Originally posted by Beatle_ki_wapsi:
                              Many scholars say "Behind every Islamic injunction there is Divine Wisdom"

Can you explain the wisdom behind the keeping of beard?

Did my new post not explain everything? go and read it titled 'Ruling on Shaving the beard and cutting part of it'

Comment

Working...
                              X