X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruling On Shaving The Beard Or Removing Part of It

Praise be to Allaah.

http://216.205.122.233/index.php?ln=...browse&QR=1189

Shaving the beard is haraam because of the saheeh ahaadeeth that clearly state this, and because of the general application of texts that forbid resembling the kuffaar. One of these reports is the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar who said that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Be different from the mushrikeen: let your beards grow and trim your moustaches.” According to another report: “Trim your moustaches and let your beards grow.” There are other hadeeth which convey the same meaning, which is to leave the beard as it is and let it grow long, without shaving, plucking or cutting any part of it. Ibn Hazm reported that there was scholarly consensus that it is an obligation (fard) to trim the moustache and let the beard grow. He quoted a number of ahaadeeth as evidence, including the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) quoted above, and the hadeeth of Zayd ibn Arqam in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does not remove any of his moustache is not one of us.” (Classed as saheeh by al-Tirmidhi). Ibn Hazm said in al-Furoo’: “This is the way of our colleagues [i.e., the Hanbalis].”

Is it haraam (to shave it)? Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The Qur’aan, Sunnah and ijmaa’ (scholarly consensus) all indicate that we must differ from the kuffaar in all aspects and not imitate them, because imitating them on the outside will make us imitate them in their bad deeds and habits, and even in beliefs, which will result in befriending them in our hearts, just as loving them in our hearts will lead to imitating them on the outside. Al-Tirmidhi reported that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “He is not one of us who imitates people other than us. Do not imitate the Jews and Christians.” According to another version: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” (Reported by Imaam Ahmad) ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab rejected the testimony of the person who plucked his beard. Imaam Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr said in al-Tamheed: “It is forbidden to shave the beard, and no one does this except men who are effeminate” i.e., those who imitate women. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had a thick beard (reported by Muslim from Jaabir). It is not permitted to remove any part of the beard because of the general meaning of the texts which forbid doing so.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/133 (www.islam-qa.com)

P.S : Sorry brothers I couldnt come up with this very soon because of my tests. I hope you all made dua for me. If not then please Kindly ask Allah good about me. Thanks

------------------
    ˛şşą§âLmăń kHäń™»
    ĐonT iMMiTăTe, iNNoVăTë ®

Question:

I am a committed Muslim and I have a beard. I own a barber shop for men. This is my profession, and it means that I shave my customers’ beards and use dryers to style their hair. What is the Islamic ruling on this?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

It is forbidden for a Muslim to shave his own beard because of the saheeh reports that indicate that this is forbidden. It is also forbidden for another man to shave a person’s beard, because this entails cooperating in sin, which is forbidden in the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “… do not help one another in sin and transgression…” [al-Maa’idah 5:2]

It is permissible for you to comb and style men’s hair, and apply oils and perfume to it, but it is not permissible for you to do this for women, except for those who are your mahrams (close relatives to whom marriage is forbidden).

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/145 (www.islam-qa.com)

ws'salamZ

Your brother in Islam,

Salman

------------------
    ˛şşą§âLmăń kHäń™»

Comment

SalamS
      http://216.205.122.233/index.php?ln=...browse&QR=8196

Question:

Some owners of salons and barber-shops shave some people’s beards. What is the ruling on the money which they take for that work?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Shaving and cutting the beard is haraam and is an obvious evil. It is not permissible for the Muslim to do this or to help others to do it. Taking money for that is haraam and is ill-gotten gains. Whoever does that must repent to Allaah from it and not go back to doing it. He must give away in charity whatever he has earned from that, if he already knew about the ruling of Allaah which forbids shaving the beard. But if he was ignorant of that ruling, then there is no blame on him with regard to what is past, and he has to beware of doing it again in the future, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“So whosoever receives an admonition from his Lord and stops eating Ribaa, shall not be punished for the past; his case is for Allaah (to judge); but whoever returns (to Ribaa), such are the dwellers of the Fire — they will abide therein [al-Baqarah 2:275]

In al-Saheehayn it is narrated from Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Cut the moustache and let the beard grow; be different from the mushrikeen.” In Saheeh al-Bukhaari it is narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Cut the moustache and leave the beard alone; be different from the mushrikeen.” And in Saheeh Muslim it is narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Trim the moustache and let the beard grow; be different from the Magians (Zoroastrians).” It is obligatory upon every Muslim man to obey the command of Allaah to leave his beard alone and let it grow, and to cut and trim the moustache. The Muslim should not be deceived by the large numbers of people who go against this Sunnah and openly disobey their Lord.

We ask Allaah to help the Muslims to do all that is pleasing to Him, and to help them to obey Him and His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). May He bless those who have gone against the command of Allaah and His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) with sincere repentance to their Lord and make them hasten to obey Him and comply with His commands and the commands of His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), for He is the All-Hearing, Ever-Responsive.

Majmoo’ Fataawa wa Maqaalaat Mutanawwi’ah li Samaahat al-Shaykh al-‘Allaamah ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him), vol. 8, p. 372 (www.islam-qa.com)

------------------
      ˛şşą§âLmăń kHäń™»

Comment

SalamS,
        http://216.205.122.233/index.php?ln=...browse&QR=9977

Question:

I have a question about the beard. I know that the beard should be left alone and not trimmed. But there are some people who let their beards grow and they look scary. Our imam told us that this is not sunnah: to let the beard grow so long that the faces look scary. Some men only have gotee, hair on their on their upper lip and and chine and they are alims and imams. Can you please help me on this suject

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

The Sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) indicates that it is obligatory to let the beard grow and that it is haraam to shave it or cut it. It was narrated in al-Saheehayn that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Cut the moustache and let the beard grow; be different from the mushrikeen.” (al-Bukhaari, al-Libaas, 5442; Muslim, al-Tahaarah, 382)

There are many ahaadeeth which say the same as this hadeeth, indicating that it is obligatory to leave the beard alone and let it grow and that it is haraam to shave it or cut it. Whoever claims that letting the beard grow is no more than a Sunnah for which a person may be rewarded and the one who does not do it will not be punished is going against the saheeh ahaadeeth. The report that says that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to trim the length and breadth of his beard is a false hadeeth. But it should be noted that Islam is the religion of beauty, as it was narrated in the hadeeth, “[A man said,] ‘What if a man likes his clothes and his shoes to look good?’ The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘Allaah is Beautiful and loves beauty.’” (Narrated by Muslim, al-Eemaan, 131). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded [one of his companions] to change grey hair, when he said, “Change this grey hair, but avoid black.” (Narrated by Muslim, Kitaab al-Libaas wa’l-Zeenah, 2102). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) recommended combing hair, and said, “Whoever has hair, let him take care of it.” (Abu Dawood, Kitaab al-Tarajjul, 3632. Al-Albaani said in Saheeh Sunan Abi Dawood: it is hasan saheeh. Hadeeth no. 3509). Al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar said: “Ibn Battaal said: combing means tidying the hair of the head and beard, and oiling it.” This is the Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Whoever turns away from my Sunnah has nothing to do with me.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, al-Nikaah, 4675)

It should be noted that the beauty referred to is shar’i or Islamic beauty (beauty as prescribed in Islam), and not the so-called beauty which appeals to sick minds which are enamoured of kaafir fashions and the appearance of corrupt people such as male and female actors and singers, or fashion models. Hence when some people were misled by those immoral western women who pluck or shave or draw their eyebrows, or make their nails long (like wild beasts), or have tattoos, and thought that this is beauty, many Muslim women imitated them in these things, even though they are forbidden by sharee’ah. The point is not what is fashionable in the east or the west, the point is the sharee’ah which advocates wearing perfume (for men), keeping clean, dressing nicely, combing the hair, changing grey hair, and other kinds of beautification which are prescribed in Islam. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)
        ws'salamZ

------------------
        ˛şşą§âLmăń kHäń™»

Comment

One Important Dua I want you all to kindly do for me is,

Allah help me grow beard in the proper way and make me strong in it and make my heart not care about anyone in the world except Allah and His Messenger pbuh.

And May Allah forgive all of my sins and make me enter Paradise, the highest level of Paradise , i.e, Al-Firdus

Ameen !

Please dont forget

P.S.; you may make the same dua for urself too

------------------
          ˛şşą§âLmăń kHäń™»

Comment

SalmanKhana....I hereby officially declare you a citizen of Afghanistan!...I just heard that one of very close associates of Mulla Umer (Taliban supreme leader) passed away. I'm sure they'd be happy to give you his job. Good luck and may God be with you.

thanx

Comment

I would like to take my earlier statement back and appologise to brother SalmanKhana. He was only quoting someones views which were of course based on Quran and Hadith.

IMHO...a petty lil thing like a beard cannot make or break a Muslim, we have many other big and important issues to take care of instead of getting confused over shaving our beards.

Thanx

Comment

Originally posted by DonJuan DeMarco:
                I would like to take my earlier statement back and appologise to brother SalmanKhana. He was only quoting someones views which were of course based on Quran and Hadith.

IMHO...a petty lil thing like a beard cannot make or break a Muslim, we have many other big and important issues to take care of instead of getting confused over shaving our beards.

Thanx
                Salamz,

Well just be careful u dont put ur opinion in religion if you dont know about it. Because then you are representing Allah.

If you think we have to take care of other issues, let me knwo what are they so that I can put stuff about them.

This is the topic other brothers asked me about to put, so i did

It is important I believe cuz it says its Haram to shave.

I hope u understand

ws'salamz

------------------
                ˛şşą§âLmăń kHäń™»

Comment

"IMHO...a petty lil thing like a beard cannot make or break a Muslim, we have many other big and important issues to take care of instead of getting confused over shaving our beards."

Wisely stated bro (DON JUAN DI MARCO) keep the attitude up! Do what you think is right God is the one to decide it is your thought that makes the difference. Shaving your beard would not make you a sinner but keeping one might make you better of others because you are trying to follow the example of Hazoor (PBUH).

AsSalaam u Alaikum!

------------------

For as thou urgest justice, be assur'd Thou shalt have justice more than thou desir'st

[This message has been edited by Razi ud din (edited April 20, 2001).]

Comment

Please be advised that the Quran mentions that we follow the word of Allah, the Sunnah and the people in authority.

It is upon this that we follow the Sunnah. The science of Hadeeth Authentication is strong enough to point out what the Sunnah of the Prophet was in words and in action. Remember that what the bro Salman has posted up is from the scholars(the people of authority) and that not accepting their ruling is also a sin. So Please be careful. Inshallah, I would recommend you keep a beard or ATLEAST have the intention.
                    You are right in saying that the fulfilling of the fard is more important, but small things add up to the well measure Muslim.
                    JK

Comment

Yup and the words of Prophet pbuh was an order. In one hadeeth, the companion used the word 'order' for the keeping of beard.

So lets see if we claim to love our Prophet pbuh, how much do we follow his orders!!

------------------
                      ˛şşą§âLmăń kHäń™»

Comment

well i know a few Amish people who shave their mustaches and let their beard grow long.. Are they muslim's in disguise?

OH.. yeah.. i am aquainted with a few Hasidic Jews as well.. they trim their mustache and leave their beard long?

The idea is to do it differently from others. If everyone else starts growing beards... what are the Muslim to do.. as we should do what is different from the christians and the Jews.

as I have already shown that the Hasidic Jews have uncut beards and trimmed mustaches.. we should do opposite?

Comment

I was under the impression that beard in muslim was Sunnah NOT farz or cutting was HARAM.

And for hadith ,some sect or groups dont follow all the Hadith.I would think ,such issues of Halal meat,Beard,are practiced variably buy ppl. claiming Shaafi,Hanafi,Hummbali,Maaliki,wahabi eytc
                          I just class them into

I/Ultra Orthodox -jehadi,mhajiroun,unyielding,inflexible ,non compromising,brittle,blacvk & white dense,too literally meaning,not seeing the intentbut just the practice.

II/Middle -like me

III/Too Liberal ---Movie & show business muslims-nurjehan,vaneeza,hadiqa,

------------------

"jo kHat main kahte they apni jaan mujhko
                          aaj kHat likhne main unki jaan jaati hai .....

Comment

Working...
                          X