Jazak Allah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jazak Allah

I have heard a lot of people saying these words but do they know what they are saying.

I believe majority of the people do know. Its a simple phrase. Besides, most of such expressions (inshaAllah, jazakAllah, mashaAllah, etc) are used in self-explanatory situations, hence the meaning comes out clear as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastern Analog:
      I believe majority of the people do know. Its a simple phrase. Besides, most of such expressions (inshaAllah, jazakAllah, mashaAllah, etc) are used in self-explanatory situations, hence the meaning comes out clear as well.
      so why not enlighten us.

Comment

Jazaa-Kallaahu Khayr: literally means, "May Allaah reward you ([male] singular) with good".

Jazaa-Killaahu Khayr: literally means, "May Allaah reward you ([female] singular) with good".

------------------
        Messenger of Allaah (SAW) said: "A
        servants two feet will not move on the Day of Judgement until he is
        questioned about four (things): His youth, how he spent it, his
        knowledge, how he acted upon it, his wealth, how he earned it and how
        he spent it and his body, how he used/wasted it."
        Reported by at-Tirmidhee (2417) & Saheeh ut-Targheeb
        wat-Tarheeb (1/126).

Comment

Well Jaza'ak Allah is used when otherwise people would say 'thank you'. So it would mean something similar to thank you.

Now 'jaza' is the opposite of 'saza'. Saza, as u know, is punishment, and jaza, is reward. So jaza'ak Allah means, may Allah reward you.

Comment

Eastern Analogue, You are right "Jazak Allah" itself means "May Allah Reward You" which doesn't mean anything at all. Hence, if u want to reward someone then say it properly liee JAZAKUM ALLAHI KHAIRAN or JAZAKUM ALLAHI KHAIR. Otherwise, people who know what does it mean will laugh at you that you are saying something like May Allah give (but what)

Thanks, Sadiaa for using it correctly.

Comment

Jaza'ak Allah is a legitimate expression in itself. Jaza'ak Allah does not mean "May Allah give". It means, "May Allah give you reward".
              Jaza'ak Allaho Khair is a prefix to a possible sentence, and can be used with many additions.
              Jaza'ak Allah is wishing Allahs reward on someone, which obviously is 'sawab'. I have yet to have anyone laugh at me after I said that. (I have lots of arabic friends, and speak arabic with them)

Comment

ask ur friends.

Comment

Salamz,

Praise be to Allah.

Eastern Analog was right there. Jazak Allah means MAy Allah Reward you. But Khan sahab was also right when he said , we always should say Jazak Allah Kheir, because that means May Allah reward you Good.

It happened once when we were all eating and a scholar was sitting next to me. He helped me with some dish and i just said Jazak Allah. but then he asked me to say Jazak Allah Kheir because Kheir means 'good'.

One Question to you all:

Also give the reasons why. Whatever comes out to be better of the two mentioned below, we all will try implementing it in our life. Alright ?

) What is better,

'Thank You' or 'Jazak Allah Kheir' ?

------------------
                  “Those who believed (in the Oneness of Allaah — Islamic Monotheism), and whose hearts find rest in the remembrance of Allaah verily, in the remembrance of Allaah do hearts find rest

[al-Ra’d 13:28]

Comment

Originally posted by khan_sahib:
                    ask ur friends.
                    I grew up in arabia reading arabic as my first language. Their response would be as good as mine

A reward is always good. Jaza is always good. Saza is bad. Hence, though you can argue that one should add 'khair' to it, others could also argue that 'jazakallah khair' is a redundant phrase.

Salman. Obviously jazakAllah is better than 'thankyou' since it enforces your belief in the fact that whatever reward one gets, is courtesy of Allah SWT, not me or you.

Comment

I grew up in arabia reading arabic as my first language. Their response would be as good as mine

A reward is always good. Jaza is always good. Saza is bad. Hence, though you can argue that one should add 'khair' to it, others could also argue that 'jazakallah khair' is a redundant phrase.

Salman. Obviously jazakAllah is better than 'thankyou' since it enforces your belief in the fact that whatever reward one gets, is courtesy of Allah SWT, not me or you.
                      Assumptions are wrong you obviously didn't live long enough. Why don't you just ask your friends the meaning of JAZA in arabic.

Comment

56:24
                        Jaza'aa um bema kaanu ya'amaloon.

A Reward for their past deeds

Jaza = Reward

Jaza'ak Allah = May Allah SWT give u reward

Dont know why this is such an issue and why the amount of time I spent in arabia is in question.

Comment

I agree with Khan sahib. My two Egyption friends have corrected me and pointed out that why Pakistanis only say Jazak Allah without Khair.
                          In Urdu we consider Jaza = reward
                          but my Egyption friends said NO to it. They say in Arabia Jaza = give or award, not reward.
                          For example, you know the word 'award' is also used in court as such: "You have been awarded a sentence of 5 years."
                          So to Arabics we sound like Allah give/award you (but what, good or bad, Khair or Shar). So according to my Arabic friends we should say Jazak Allah Khair.

Comment

56:24
                            Jaza'aa um bema kaanu ya'amaloon.

A Reward for their past deeds

Jaza = Reward

Jaza'ak Allah = May Allah SWT give u reward

Dont know why this is such an issue and why the amount of time I spent in arabia is in question.
                            jiss ko dekho jiss say poocho, samjhay kum samjhaye bohut

Thanks K-2

This is what I had been trying to say that jaza is not equal to reward as generally assumed by us Pakistanis. Therefore, correct way of saying is to say Jazakum Allahi Khair

Comment

Although EA is wrong in his interpretetion of the word 'jaza' and khan sahib is right in his, khan sahib is wrong in saying that simple jazak-Allah is not enough and that people would laugh at that, and EA is right in saying that simple jazak-Allah is enough.

You see when someone does something good and you say to him 'May Allah reward you for this' which is what simple jazak-Allah means, that is enough as Allah always rewards good for good.

Although simple 'jazak-Allah' does mean may Allah reward you - without specifying good or bad - but as I just explained wishing reward for someone is enough as good deeds earn good reward and bad deeds earn bad reward.

Note:- As for the argument about the meaning of the word 'jaza' in arabic, aren't there Ayahs in the Quran where Allah Taala after mentioning the wrong doers and the punishment of fire for them follows it up by sayin... "jaza-um bima kanoo Yaf'aaloon", ?
                              I think this settlers the argument over the literal meaning of word jaza. And the main reason for why I think k_s is right and EA is wrong.
                              But as I explained above, the literal meaning of 'jaza' not withstanding saying jazak-Allah is enough. Though saying jazak-allahu khairan is better.

Comment

Working...
                              X