Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to recite at the time of burial, reciting Quran at the grave, and putting roses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to recite at the time of burial, reciting Quran at the grave, and putting roses

Assalamo alaykum,

While looking up something else, I came across the following, which I thought I should share:
    Praise be to Allaah.

It is Sunnah for the one who places the deceased in the grave to say: “Bismillaah wa ‘ala sunnati Rasool-Illaah (or: wa ‘ala millati Rasool-Illaah) sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam (In the name of Allaah and according to the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah (or: according to the religion of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)).

This is narrated in the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said that when the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) placed the deceased in the grave he would say (and according to another version, he said: When you place your dead in the graves say “Bismillaah wa ‘ala sunnati Rasool-Illaah”; according to another report: “wa ‘ala millati Rasool-Illaah.”

This was narrated by Abu Dawood, 3213; al-Tirmidhi, 1046; Ibn Maajah, 1550; al-Haakim, 1353; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Ahkaam al-Janaa’iz, p. 192.

After completion of the burial it is Sunnah to pray for forgiveness for the deceased and pray for him to be made steadfast, because of the hadeeth of ‘Uthmaan ibn ‘Affaan (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: When the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had finished burying the deceased he would stand over him and say: “Pray for forgiveness for your brother, and ask that he be made steadfast, for now he is being questioned.”

Narrated by Abu Dawood, 3221; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Ahkaam al-Janaa’iz, p. 198.

Standing over him means standing over his grave.

“and [said]: Pray for forgiveness for your brother” means: ask for forgiveness for him from Allaah, i.e., say: “O Allaah forgive him.”

“and ask that he be made steadfast” means: ask Allaah to make his tongue steadfast in answering the two angels, i.e., say: “O Allaah make him steadfast in speech.”

“for now he is being questioned” i.e., at that moment the two angels are coming to him, namely Munkar and Nakeer, so he is in the greatest need of prayers for forgiveness and steadfastness.
    Ref: What it is Sunnah to say at the burial

Re: What to recite at the time of burial, reciting Quran at the grave, and putting ro

Reciting Quran at the grave, and putting roses...

Praise be to Allaah.

With regard to reciting Qur’aan when visiting the grave, this is something which has no basis in the Sunnah.

It is not prescribed in Islam, and the fact that it is not prescribed is supported by the hadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Do not make your houses into graveyards, for the Shaytaan flees from a house in which Soorat al-Baqarah is recited.” This was narrated by Muslim and al-Tirmidhi from the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah. This indicates that graves are not the place for reading Qur’aan, hence the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) encouraged reading Qur’aan in our houses and told us not to make them like graveyards where it is not read. Another hadeeth indicates that they (graveyards) are not the place for prayer (salaah) either. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Pray in your houses and do not make them like graves.” This was narrated by Muslim and others from Ibn ‘Umar. A similar report was narrated by al-Bukhaari, who included it in a chapter entitled Baab Karaahat al-Salaah fi’l-Maqaabir (Chapter on it being disliked to pray in graveyards); thus he indicated that the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar could be understood to mean that it is makrooh to pray in graveyards. Similarly the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah may be understood to mean that it is makrooh to read Qur’aan in graveyards. There is no difference between praying and reading Qur’aan in this regard. Abu Dawood said in his Masaa’il (p. 158): “I heard Ahmad being asked about reading Qur’aan at the graveside. He said, ‘No [that should not be done].’”

It is not prescribed in Islam to put “aas” leaves (a kind of tree) or fragrant herbs or roses on the grave, because this is not what the salaf did, and if it was good, they would have done it before us. Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both) said: “Every bid’ah (innovation) is a going astray, even if the people think it is good.” (Narrated by Ibn Battah in al-Ibaanah ‘an Usool al-Diyaanah, 2/112; al-Laakaa’i in al-Sunnah, 1/21, a mawqoof report with a saheeh isnaad).

We ask Allaah to bestow mercy upon the deceased Muslims. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.
    Ref: Ruling on reading Qur’aan at the graveside and putting roses and fragrant herbs on the grave

Comment

Re: What to recite at the time of burial, reciting Quran at the grave, and putting ro

It is not permissible to uncover the face of the deceased after he has placed in the grave

Praise be to Allaah.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah hav mercy on him) said:

It should not be uncovered, rather his entire body should be covered, unless he is a muhrim (in ihraam for Hajj or ‘Umrah), in which case his face and head should be uncovered, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said concerning a muhrim who died in ‘Arafah: “Do not cover his head, for he will be raised on the Day of Resurrection reciting the Talbiyah.” Agreed upon. According to a version narrated by Muslim: “Do not cover his head or his face, for he will be raised on the Day of Resurrection reciting the Talbiyah.”

And he also said:

It is not permissible to uncover the face of the deceased, whether a man or a woman, once he or she has been placed in the lahd (niche in the grave), rather it must be covered with the shroud, unless the deceased was in ihraam, in which case neither the head nor the face should be covered. But if the deceased is a woman than her face should be covered with the shroud even if she was in ihraam, because it is ‘awrah.

Majallat al-Buhooth al-Islamiyyah (68/44).
      Ref: It is not permissible to uncover the face of the deceased after he has placed in the grave

Comment

Re: What to recite at the time of burial, reciting Quran at the grave, and putting roses

Just because I don't respond to all what you post doesn't mean I don't read them, Sadiyah...

Your frequent posts regarding our Deen are like sprinkles of cool knowledge on an arid and ignorant mind...

Focus not on who you are but what you do...
        ])>:::}-:Salams:-{:::<([

Comment

Re: What to recite at the time of burial, reciting Quran at the grave, and putting roses

Jazakallah..!
          Mujhey aurr kuch nahii chahiye, yeh dua'ayein hain meri sayaaban,
          karri dhoup mein kahein mil sakein, tou yahii chahatein mujhey chaahiyein..!

Comment

Working...
          X