Istekhara

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Istekhara

I heard that in a few cases, when a couple do istekhara, like in marriage matters, it can turn positive, yet still end up in lots of problems or divorce.

I was thinking how come?

And how can you see IF the sign you get; is a positive sign? (How do you interpretate?)

I really dont understand, not that I don't trust Allah, but it scares me.

JazakaAllah
    Mujhe ishq ki aag mein jalne do

Re: Istekhara

Yup... istikharas could be tricky.

Just recently I asked a scholar about it and he did say something along the lines that it could turn out well and then not so great later on.

I've heard of a case where the couple did istikhara and it all turned out well. However, they eventually ended up getting a divorce, but they were still happy.

I guess whatever Allah (SWT) Wills happens. It's still worth doing the istikhara I suppose to save oneself from a great danger or doing something horribly wrong.

Comment

Well if it can turn out well and then not so great, that sounds like a wierd istekhara, if you ask me.

Its help from Allah, I dont understand how it can turn out to be bad. After all, its from Him. ( I have seen a case where the couple did istekhara, and now they hate eachother, and divorced).

Or could it be that the signs were not interpretated properly?
      Mujhe ishq ki aag mein jalne do

Comment

i donno how they read the signs but one thing i know is it doesn't always work....
        either it is untrue or it's done in wrong way coz i know SO MANY people who have had ISTIKHARA before their marriages but they are now in huge troubles!!!
        Pappu Yar Tang Na Ker!!

Comment

Wrong interpretation could most likely be the cause.

Comment

^ Could there be any other possibility?
            [ M ] - Awesome Wedding Photographer + Videographer in Canada

Comment

Ok so if you do ishtikhara, does it have to be a for a reason? 2 decisions? or can it be that you're trying to do something in life, and if you do ishtikhara, Allah will guide you?

Comment

istikhara sub ki buss ki baath nahi.. i know so many ppl who have istikharas done by suppossedly "wise and pochay" way buzurg.. been told istikhara is great but things have still gone downhill for them...

its an art i guess... and its meant to be done in the most serious way possible.. dont do it when ure very happy.. dont do it when ure troubled.. or when ure sick... its meant to be done on an average day where emotions arent at a high or low...

its not that the istikhara is wrong.. its probably intrepreted the wrong way by the person doing it...
                standing alone on a street of broken dreams

Comment

istekhara = unreliable ( to say the least)

Folks, make a decision based on facts, not your emotions, and certainly not on perceived divine data-packets. These toonay tootkay are down right stupid.

Comment

I can't beleive so many people rely on Istakhara...thats just ridiculous ritual.
                    If you want things to work out...look at the facts and pray to Allah for better life.

Comment

I think why so many people are confused about istekhara is because "people/desi community" have made it into something that doesn't make perfect sense. One should do istekhara for every decision he is going to take. Our prophet pbuh, has told us that this is a dua which we are fortunate to have/use. Now, istekhara is just "khair ki dua". So, one can just simply ask Allah swt to do what's better for him this way or that, but why not the way our Prophet taught us, hence the proper dua. In my opnion, if in a case an istekhara is done and it turns out bad, we can't go immediately and say "ohhh well, Allah willed bad to happed for this person". ...perhaps so (Allah knows better), however, All good comes from Allah swt, All bad happens with our own hands.
                      If a person does istekhara, his mind can also be telling him to choose a specific decision already because that's where his heart is at. So, he might be lenient towards one way because his heart is saying so. We can make duas but if we do go towards a bad path, that bad path will not magically become good for us.
                      The dua is so that we can see the good path from the bad path so that we can decide properly, however if we have already chosen a path we want to go on (even if in our mind, or in the heart) prior to the dua (even a little bit), chances are that we will choose what we have been lenient towards before the dua. Get what I mean?!
                      Sorry, if I can't get my point made all that clearly. I'm just trying to talk about in instance of the couple who did istekhara and got a divorce later... Now, one asked Allah to show him the good path, and perhaps marrying so and so was a good path for what the options he had BUT it's up to the people in the marriage TO MAKE THE MARRIAGE GOOD OR BAD. The dua might have shown the better path, but the people took it upon themselves to take it for granted/ ruin it/.. or perhaps the dua showed them something else but they already had their heart set to marrying that person that they didn't see anything else.

-One can't start driving his car w/ a dua (Oh Allah protect me...) and then start driving wrecklessly and assume that he will never get into an accident. Chances are, he will.

Allah swt knows best.
                      But please don't look for instance of what's Islamic from the desi community, ..There's a book by Ibn Qayyim al Jauzziyah,.. look into it from there, ..or
                      ..I'm in the US, so I just listen to lectures by Hamza yusuf, Imam siraj wahaj, etc. ..it's pretty cool. but the typical desis have Islam all complicated, it's not. It's beautiful and simple. When you look up stuff yourself, it'll inshaAllah clear a lot of concepts such as these.
                      Sorry so lengthy.

Comment

Istikhara
                        Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah

The Prophet (p.b.u.h) used to teach us the way of doing Istikhara (Istikhara means to ask Allah to guide one to the right sort of actionconcerning any job or a deed), in all matters as he taught us the Suras of the Quran. He said, "If anyone of you thinks of doing any job he should offer a two Rakat prayer other than the compulsory ones and say (after the prayer): --

'Allahumma inni astakhiruka bi'ilmika, Wa astaqdiruka bi-qudratika, Wa as'alaka min fadlika al-'azlm Fa-innaka taqdiru Wala aqdiru, Wa ta'lamu Wala a'lamu, Wa anta 'allamu l-ghuyub.Allahumma, in kunta ta'lam anna hadha-l-amra Khairun li fi dini wa ma'ashi wa'aqibati amri (or 'ajili amri wa'ajilihi) Faqdirhu wa yas-sirhu li thumma barik li Fihi, Wa in kunta ta'lamu anna hadha-lamra shar-run li fi dini wa ma'ashi wa'aqibati amri (or fi'ajili amri wa ajilihi) Fasrifhu anni was-rifni anhu. Waqdir li al-khaira haithu kana Thumma ardini bihi.'

meanings(O Allah! I ask guidance from Your knowledge, And Power from Your Might and I ask for Your great blessings. You are capable and I am not. You know and I do not and You know the unseen. O Allah! If You know that this job is good for my religion and my subsistence and in my Hereafter--(or said: If it is better for my present and later needs)--Then You ordain it for me and make it easy for me to get, And then bless me in it, and if Youknow that this job is harmful to me In my religion and subsistence andin the Hereafter--(or said: If it is worse for my present and later needs)--Then keep it away from me and let me be away from it. And ordain for me whatever is good for me, And make me satisfied with it).

The Prophet added that then the person should name (mention) his need.

ps: if you read the meanings of istikhara you'd know that how simple and easy and nice it is..... n surely Allah helps those who ask for help n we dont know what is right or wrong..so better ask Allah who knows what is best for us, ur heart will tell u what is right or wrong if you do istikhara
                        Last edited by blueberry; Mar 9, 2006, 10:17 AM.
                        "Two roads diverged in a wood and I, I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."
                        Robert Frost

Comment

Whoa.... could we please watch the language, as there is plenty of evidence from ahadith that istikharas were used.

Yes, it could get tricky, but lets not get carried away.

Comment

I read Naadiya's and BB's post..and i do agree wid them since i've heard and read the same thing
                            We should do istekhara even in our small daily lives matter..its just better!

Comment

Working...
                            X