X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is eating pork/jhattka Chicken/beef GUNAH-E-KABIRA

Hi folks,
    Assalaam - 0 - Alaikum,

I am new to this website. I am not that good in following Islam, but I try to follow as much as I can and ask people in my surroundings to follow Islam too.

I saw so many muslim brothers and sisters here in North America who eat Jhattkay ki Chicken / Beef and they don't even live without wine and other alcoholic drinks.

My Question is "to eat non-Halal isn't it Gunah-e-Kabira". Or please give me the list of sins that come under Gunah-e-Kabira.

I tried googling it but I couldn't find any thing.

Your help will be much appreciated....

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Muhammad Ahmar Arshi.

Re: Is eating pork/jhattka Chicken/beef GUNAH-E-KABIRA

this is a link from an earlier discussuin regarding zabeeha and non-zabeeha ..

Link: http://www.paklinks.com/gs/showthread.php?t=192436
    Jism bhi aur jaan bhi nahin

Ragoon kai andheroon ko, insaf chahiya
    Ranjish-e-khoon ko bhi, makan chahiya

Comment

its haraam....
      and knowingly doing anything that is haraam is a grave sin....
      Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Firstly, morbid angel, thanks very much for your link.

Now, I am in the US for over 5 yrs and it's a still a dilemma to me whether to eat from outside like Wendy's or McDonalds and I eat chicken from there without any doubt. I'd eat beef too but I just prefer chicken but that doesn't mean as told in the above link that it's haram to eat in all those places.
        Very good question and we need to get over it without any confusion.
        I think Halal and Zabiha are two different thigns. Chicken from McDonald's is Halal bcz. we can eat it as it's permissible by Allah. Same goes for beef or turkey. But the question is that is it "Zabiha?" Which means is it slaughtered the way we slaughter it? Most probably no but it's not haram to eat bcz.the link provided by morbidangel has very specific details and it tells you that there's nothing wrong in eating the food of Ahle Kitaab.
        If I'm wrong, plz. do correct me and I don't claim that I have extensive knowledge but I did ask the Imam at the mosque and he told me that it's ok to consume the meat but it's not preferrable. Simply, it means that it's not haram but you should always prefer halal zabiha meat.
        Umer

Comment

^Eating food from MCD or Wendy's is Halal. give me a break.
          If you are unable to find Halal food at first, then only it is Halal.

"The sky is my dome and the earth is my prayer mat"
          - - -
          "Verily the ink of a scholar is more holy than the blood of a martyr"

Comment

Originally posted by itsme01

If you are unable to find Halal food at first, then only it is Halal.

this means eat only veggies and fries ........
            what if you can find other food but not halal meat ?
            me thinks the best course then is to avoid meat and live on a vegetarian diet

Comment

my 2 cents.... i'v been taught that any meat that has NOT been slaughtered in Allah's name is considered haram - I don't see why it has to be more complicated than that...

come someone please define the following"
              --> Gunah-e-Kabira
              --> jhatka
              --> halal
              --> zabeeha
              --> Ahle-Kitaab

Comment

Chicken is halal. Fish is halal. Cow is halal.
                Whether its zabeeha or not, depends on how it is slaughtered.

Pork is haram, no matter how you slaughter it. The only time pork is permissible to eat is if you are dying of hunger and there is nothing else to eat. Nothing means nothing. It doesn't mean, "I don't like daal and sabzi, so I'll eat pork, otherwise I will die of hunger".
                "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

Originally posted by korisn
                  my 2 cents.... i'v been taught that any meat that has NOT been slaughtered in Allah's name is considered haram - I don't see why it has to be more complicated than that...

Faisel, when i said - that Chicken from MCD or KFC is haraam is because the animal is not slaughtered in the name of Allah; also that Chicken or beef can be brought from a Muslim shop.

For example, infront of you, You have:

KFC chicken and Halal Chicken
                  ---> would you eat KFC chicken, even though you have the choice of Halal Chicken?

Side Note: There is a Hadith (on top of my head): that Allah does not accept the prayers of those who eat Haram.
                  - - -

Comment

I don't think it'd hurt if those who did not take part in the following thread to go through it thoroughly before jumping the guns.

Eating Jhattka...

Comment

Originally posted by itsme01
                      Faisel, when i said - that Chicken from MCD or KFC is haraam is because the animal is not slaughtered in the name of Allah; also that Chicken or beef can be brought from a Muslim shop.

For example, infront of you, You have:

KFC chicken and Halal Chicken
                      ---> would you eat KFC chicken, even though you have the choice of Halal Chicken?

Side Note: There is a Hadith (on top of my head): that Allah does not accept the prayers of those who eat Haram.
                      You must have been taught by someone from sub-continent, as they often use the words "halaal" and "zabiha" interchangably. Keeps their views simple, regardless whether they are correct or not.

If you talk to an Arab or a middle eastern scholar, more than likely they will tell you exactly what I have told you. Chicken will always be halaal, because it is deemed halaal to eat in Islam. Unlike pork or dog, as these two will always be haraam, no matter what. Now, whether chicken is zabeeha or not depends on how it is slaughtered.

The hadith, that you quoted (on top of your head) is about eating haraam.

Now whether non-zabeeha chicken/beef (a.k.a. jhatka) is permissible to eat or not is another discussion. Most muslim scholars consider non-zabeeha meats to be prohibited. Yes, they are halaal, but they are prohibited from being eaten because they are not slaughtered correctly. Some other scholars consider them permissible as long as you take the name of Allah before consuming them. Both sides have evidence (dalil) to support their respective points of view. You can read through their arguments and decide for yourself.
                      Last edited by Faisal; Mar 8, 2006, 06:32 PM.
                      "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

^ sure agree with that. Now lets put Quran in to perspective:

There is a Sura that says on this subject that it is Halal "as long as you believe", "again as long as you believe", "and then again if you believe" (looking up for verse and its exact translation) - This clearly states that it is OK to eat Non-Zabiha food as long as you are true believer (x3 times).

But are you? or me? or most people? - no

Staying on the same subject: There is no punishment described in Quran for eating Haram or drinking alcohol. However it is a sin.
                        - - -

Comment

Originally posted by Faisal
                          Now whether non-zabeeha chicken/beef (a.k.a. jhatka) is permissible to eat or not is another discussion. Most muslim scholars consider non-zabeeha meats to be prohibited. Yes, they are halaal, but they are prohibited from being eaten because they are not slaughtered correctly. Some other scholars consider them permissible as long as you take the name of Allah before consuming them. Both sides have evidence (dalil) to support their respective points of view. You can read through their arguments and decide for yourself.
                          but if in doubt isnt it better to abstain from it .........I mean its not like we are going to starve without meat for a few days or weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Das Reich
                            but if in doubt isnt it better to abstain from it .........I mean its not like we are going to starve without meat for a few days or weeks.
                            Sure. And thats a personal choice. Because now you are into the grounds of "better", which is different from the black and white world of permissible or prohibited.

Is it better to eat zabeeha? Absolutely.
                            Given a choice is it better to eat zabeeha rather than non-zabeeha? Definitely.
                            Is it prohibited to eat non-zabeeha? Ask your imam.

Comment

Originally posted by Faisal
                              Is it prohibited to eat non-zabeeha? Ask your imam.
                              why ask Imam, when it clearly states in the Quran that it is not.
                              - - -

Comment

Working...
                              X